Dell 27" 5K Monitor (5120x2880)

Do you have to sit further from multi-monitor setups? :D

Of course. My 3x Portrait Eizo setup is around 50" diagonal. That combined with 93 PPI means I cannot sit super close to the setup, IE: a typical 18" viewing distance. Anything under around 110PPI looks really bad at 18-24 inches.

I could with the 27" 5K monitor and take in all the clarity. You simply sit closer to a super clear screen and it fills in almost as much of your viewing area as sitting back from a multi-monitor setup. And no low PPI and horrible bezels to deal with! Not to mention terrible viewing angles if your multi-monitor setup happens to be TN panels.

I think it will look quite good in both dark and light rooms. They better have put zero PWM on this thing or I will go ape shit. ;)

What's your point?

That anti-reflective glass causes blacks=grey? If so, I fail to comprehend how that is logically possible. The black level is dependent solely on the panel and backlighting.

And ambient light, obviously.

Matte coatings, due to the light-scattering they employ, are usually darker and less affected by ambient light (hence lower black level).

Bezel colour, coatings and ambient lighting effect the perceived black level more than a panels black level. There is no point in measuring an LCD's contrast/black level if it uses edge-to-edge glass w/o AR, like most of Sony's new 4K TV's. There is a reason most 'professional' IPS, which are known for having low measured contrast (500-800:1), have matte grey bezels. Example of a monitors bezel colour ruining the perceived black level of the matte monitor, which has a 1000:1 contrast ratio vs. the glossy monitors 800:1:

Glossy monitor with matte bezel & matte monitor with glossy bezel // Matte Monitor with glossy bezel & glossy monitor with matte bezel

Last edited:
There's no useful information in that article relating to the quality of the screen aside form "I like it."

Endgaget doesn't do technical monitor reviews. Unless someone like TFTCentral get's their hands on one, I doubt we will see one. From all the various 5K Imac reviews, people are raving about the display. Not much not to like about an AR-gloss 5K IPS as long as it doesn't have any major faults.

Endgaget doesn't do technical monitor reviews. Unless someone like TFTCentral get's their hands on one, I doubt we will see one. From all the various 5K Imac reviews, people are raving about the display. Not much not to like about an AR-gloss 5K IPS as long as it doesn't have any major faults.

Translation: 'I want to justify my purchase.' It's unreasonable to think Apple fans are suddenly going to have standards after putting up with the 27" Cinema Display's grey blacks and extreme reflectivity for years.

Could I get one of these at 50"? or maybe a 4K at 44"?

You can buy 4K TV @40" or more, take graphics card with HDMI 2.0 support (at this time only GTX 970 and 980 have it) and enjoy high res at bigger size. There is one additional condition for TV: it should support 4:4:4 format over HDMI 2.0 input.

They're quoting Apple on the 67%. That is comparing 4096×2160 to 5120x2880. (14.7 million / 8.8 million)

Silly to quote the 4K version 4096x2160 that has barely any prevalence vs the mainstream 4K 3840x2160 that has virtually all of the prevalence. Not to mention 5K is 16:9 and the quoted 4K isn't.

Dell UP2715K Expected in December Under $2000 USD

Back in September we brought you the news of Dell's forthcoming 27" 5k (5120 x 2880) resolution display. New reports suggest that despite the initial expected retail price of $2499, and what is currently listed on Dell.com, the UP2715K is now expected to retail for under $2000 USD and should be available in December.

The Dell.com page for the UP2715K has also now emerged so we now know more about the screen and the full spec. The 27" screen offers a 5120 x 2880 resolution, 8ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 cd/m2 brightness and 178/178 viewing angles. The panel is IPS technology with GB-r-LED backlighting.

An interesting element to the new screen is the coating. Optical bonding and an anti-reflective coating eliminate reflection from two surfaces — the LCD panel itself and the protective glass layer in front of it — allowing more light to be transmitted and dramatically improving clarity, vividness and contrast. An anti-smudge coating allows you to easily clean away fingerprints.

The screen has a wide colour gamut supporting 99% Adobe RGB and 100% of sRGB coverage. The screen is factory calibrated for reliable grey scale and a colour deltaE of <2. The screen has 12-bit internal processing and the panel supports true 10-bit content (1.07b colours). The 12-bit 3D Look Up Table (LUT) allows for hardware calibration using Dell's / X-rite's Color Calibration software package. The website suggests you need an optional i1 Display Pro but we believe the software should also support the i1 Pro and i1 Pro 2 devices.

There are integrated speakers by Harman Kardon for high quality dual 16W sound output. The stand supports tilt, swivel, height and rotate adjustments and the screen is also VESA compliant for wall/arm-mounting. There are 6 USB 3.0 ports in total, 1 of which has fast charging support on the back of the screen. There are 2x DisplayPort (for 5k support), 1x Mini DisplayPort (4k max only) and a media card reader provided.

See our previous news piece for more information about the UP2715K as well. The screen is not yet listed on Dell.co.uk so we do not have an expected UK retail price or release date yet.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/32.htm#dell_up2715k_price

Do you think there's any chance this monitor will be SST, despite requiring 2 DisplayPort connections for 5K? Because MST breaks so many things it's not worth the effort... I also hope it will be priced much below 2000$, for 500 more you can get the whole iMac...

New reports suggest that despite the initial expected retail price of $2499, and what is currently listed on Dell.com, the UP2715K is now expected to retail for under $2000 USD and should be available in December.

Well, I guess their "new report" might be wrong.

I guess I'll have to settle for Dell P2715Q or some other 27 - 28" 4K IPS or VA monitor. But I'll wait for the reviews, my current monitor is Dell 2407WFP-HC - I bought it before it became apparent what terrible overdrive it has. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but I'm sure I could buy something better at that time...

I really hope this thing is not using MST in combination with the dual cables.

Its going to already be like a MST display and there is no getting around that to run the full resolution @ 60Hz but but if its dual cable + MST it will mean the display will be effectively four monitors (like the T221's i have gone away from). Unfortunately with the 4 display limit on my nvidia cards this will be a deal breaker for me as I don't want to go back to the complications of a dual GPU system just to drive one of these things :(

So this has a similar price to Retina iMac but with the iMac you get both PC and Monitor all in one.

Unlike that says nothing ExtremeTech article, has anyone actually installed Windows onto the iMac and (1) verified that it works and (2) checked what timings it uses? I'd buy an iMac and rip the guts out if it were possible to plug it into a standard PC with a hacked-up displayport cable just to avoid MST BS with the Dell.

Unlike that says nothing ExtremeTech article, has anyone actually installed Windows onto the iMac and (1) verified that it works and (2) checked what timings it uses? I'd buy an iMac and rip the guts out if it were possible to plug it into a standard PC with a hacked-up displayport cable just to avoid MST BS with the Dell.

The displayport port used on the iMac is custom and has more pins than a typical displayport cable so unless you know how to build your own cables and connectors I don't think it's going to work :D

I'm a little confused. Why is the UP2715K so much more than the P2715Q, which I just ordered for $500. It sounds like the UP2715K's colors are even MORE accurate, and obviously 5K is larger than 4K, but I feel like I must be missing something.

Does 5K scale way better? Is there a huge difference in the picture quality that isn't coming across in the specs? Is it just enough of a niche now that Dell is changing whatever they want?

I'm a little confused. Why is the UP2715K so much more than the P2715Q, which I just ordered for $500. It sounds like the UP2715K's colors are even MORE accurate, and obviously 5K is larger than 4K, but I feel like I must be missing something.

Does 5K scale way better? Is there a huge difference in the picture quality that isn't coming across in the specs? Is it just enough of a niche now that Dell is changing whatever they want?
Some people want "the best" and are willing to pay for it.

In addition, there will be many 27" 4k panels in the near future. Several manufacturers (LG, AUO, and soon Samsung) are now mass producing 27" 4k panels, and there is (or soon will be) plenty of competition. That same cannot be said of 5k panels, which are only available from LG.

Pretty simple. The $2500 display is a custom Dell display. The 27" is a off-the-shelf panel that many other resellers will be using. Thus the costs are much lower. Also if the same coupons were used on the 5K display it would be $1750, not $2500.

Bezel colour, coatings and ambient lighting effect the perceived black level more than a panels black level. There is no point in measuring an LCD's contrast/black level if it uses edge-to-edge glass w/o AR, like most of Sony's new 4K TV's. There is a reason most 'professional' IPS, which are known for having low measured contrast (500-800:1), have matte grey bezels.
Nonsense. A display with a matte grey bezel can make a display with inferior black levels look better than it is, but a display with superior black levels will look better, not worse, with a black bezel.

The best displays, in terms of contrast and black levels, all have black bezels. Refer to the avsforum for further information on this topic. I am not certain why you are so keen on promoting displays and panels with inferior contrast and black levels.

Nonsense. A display with a matte grey bezel can make a display with inferior black levels look better than it is, but a display with superior black levels will look better, not worse, with a black bezel.

You read my post by obviously ignored my pictures. It's obviousl the Qnix+glossy bezels blacks look significantly lighter. Obviously when the lights are off it does not matter as much, but AHVA/IPS/PLS panels blacks are too bright for light-less rooms. Why do you think almost all of LG's IPS TV's have grey bezels?

Last edited:
You read my post by obviously ignored my pictures. It's obviously the Qnix+glossy bezels blacks look significantly lighter. Obviously when the lights are off it does not matter as much, but AHVA/IPS/PLS panels blacks are too bright for light-less rooms. Why do you think almost all of LG's IPS TV's have grey bezels?
The pictures you posted don't support what you've written, and what you've said is not true.

The current mid-range to high-end displays from LG, Panasonic, Sony, and Toshiba (and Pioneer, before the Kuro line was discontinued) have black bezels. Most have glossy black bezels. I don't know where you live, but, in US showrooms, you can't find mid-range to high-end TVs with gray or silver bezels anymore. Any forum poster can see as much at their local Best Buy. You are destroying your credibility by suggesting otherwise. In the past, gray and silver bezels were used on lower-end and mid-range models and black bezels were used on high-end models, in part as a selling point for the higher-end models.

Last edited:
The pictures you posted don't support what you've written, and what you've said is not true.

The current mid-range to high-end displays from LG, Panasonic, Sony, and Toshiba (and Pioneer, before the Kuro line was discontinued) have black bezels. Most have glossy black bezels. I don't know where you live, but, in US showrooms, you can't find mid-range to high-end TVs with gray or silver bezels anymore. Any forum poster can see as much at their local Best Buy. You are destroying your credibility by suggesting otherwise. In the past, gray and silver bezels were used on lower-end and mid-range models and black bezels were used on high-end models, in part as a selling point for the higher-end models.

What NCX says about grey bezels leading to a higher perceived black level in a bright room is true. I personally don't care about that and would rather have a display that looks attractive. To me thin black bezels looks the best on my desk. I use bias lighting to help with perceived black levels and contrast, and I often use my IPS display in a completely dark room except for the bias lighting, so the color of the bezel doesn't make a difference in my setup. Still, NCX is right about grey bezels helping with perceived black levels.

The best displays, in terms of contrast and black levels, all have black bezels. Refer to the avsforum for further information on this topic. I am not certain why you are so keen on promoting displays and panels with inferior contrast and black levels.

Please post said avsforum source.

If you can't see a difference in the pictures then I'd assume your monitor is crushing blacks.

Edit: "The best displays, in terms of contrast and black levels, all have black bezels." - What displays are you referring to? Are you comparing VA panels to IPS panels? I'm confused.

Nearly all IPS panels sit around 850-1000 contrast; the only perceivable difference in black depth would be the bezel, noticeable backlight bleed, and glow. For that matter, I owned a glow-free Eizo CX271 for a short time and now own a BL3200PT (AMVA panel); the difference in black depth between the CX271 and the BL3200PT is totally imperceptible despite the CX271's poor contrast ratio.

I also noticed you had mentioned that the U2715 has better black levels than the AOC Q2770PQU and BenQ BL2710PT in another thread, but how did you come to that conclusion when there's no reviews on it? Not to mention Dell monitors are gluttons for incredibly obvious backlight bleed which would ruin your perceived black depth anyway.

Last edited:

You are destroying your credibility since you obviously

1.) Have an inaccurate monitor (here's a similar, over exposed picture, both monitors were set to 140cdm/2 and have similar contrast around 900:1)
2.) Have not been to the store recently
3.) Are making things up (I did not suggest that TV's should use silver bezels)

Displays use glossy black bezels to look flashy, not because they are rationally designed like the high end monitors which all use dark grey matte bezels.

Contrast/black depth is irreverent in a bright rooms for the following displays:

1.) Frame-less IPS
2.) Most Plasmas (lol @ Plasmas with retarded glossy black bezels)
3.) CRT
4.) Displays with edge-to-edge glass

Last edited:
I think a 32" monitor naturally benefits more from 5k resolution than a 27" one. I wished Dell had come with a 32" one instead.

I think a 32" monitor naturally benefits more from 5k resolution than a 27" one. I wished Dell had come with a 32" one instead.

A larger one would be very expensive.

If this is glossy, kill everything else with fire because it would be the monitor to get.
It can do 1440p, 2160p and 2880p. Probably could run 1440p @ 90Hz+ given the high bandwidth needed for this monitor.

Just how I feel.
The 5k iMac looks wonderful, but with all those pixels I sure would have liked at least a 30" form factor.

27" is just becoming too physically cramped for me these days.

So this has a similar price to Retina iMac but with the iMac you get both PC and Monitor all in one.

It's important to keep in mind that $2499 is the price for the base iMac build, which is a 3.5GHz i5, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, and a 2GB GDDR5 R9 M90X for the GPU. Personally, I feel like that is inadequate when running a machine where the main feature is 5K content, and if you're consuming or creating 5K content, you're most likely going to want to bump things up.

So you're really looking at $3199 if you upgrade to a 4.0GHz i7, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, and a 4GB GDDR5 R9 M95X for the GPU, which are the only other options and are in my opinion pretty standard/required these days.

It should also be pointed out that:

1. iMac values TANK when they release a newer one (or start offering refurbs)
2. Due to tech limitations, you can *not* use the 5k iMac as a standalone display (huge deal breaker to me)
3. Basically no upgrading short of buying a whole new machine.
4. There are totally separate models for VESA mount (no stand included) and Desktop iMac 5k (no way to wall mount) - Just another way your resale value could be a disaster (if you VESA mount it like I do with monitors)

Maybe not big issues to everyone, but to me it is as I like to incrementally upgrade different parts of my setup as time and technology go along.

I had a top end iMac 27 a few years back and the absolute butt kicking I took on resale values has made me never want to go that route again.
If you could upgrade them, I'd be onboard, but as they are now - no thanks

Price wars are common throughout all facets of business, 5K monitors included. The price wars for this market have started, surprisingly, before a single stand-alone display technology has even shipped. Dell, which recently announced but not shipped its UltraSharp 5K monitor, has already said that it will cut prices of the device in the wake of Apple's latest 27" iMac jumping into the market. Dell's UltraSharp was announced back in September and will be priced under $2,000 from December, the same month it is set to ship.

When originally announced, this monitor was priced at $2,499.99. Even though Dell did not immediately provide reasons for the price drop, founder and President of Touch Display Research Jennifer Colegrove stated that Apple's 27" iMac, which sports a 5K display, may have been a catalyst. Apple is throwing in an entire computer with its 27" iMac with 5K Retina display for the same $2,499.99 price as the UltraSharp.

http://amonitorblog.blogspot.se/2014/11/dell-drops-price-of-ultrasharp-5k.html

the iMac Retina is a huge value for a workplace 5k monitor, even at the $3200 price tag.
also, Apple with bad resale value? o
n what planet?
iDiots would pay an arm and a leg for anything with a half bitten fruit engraved over, no matter how old or rubbish, which the imac retina is not.

the iMac Retina is a huge value for a workplace 5k monitor, even at the $3200 price tag.
also, Apple with bad resale value? o
n what planet?
iDiots would pay an arm and a leg for anything with a half bitten fruit engraved over, no matter how old or rubbish, which the imac retina is not.

Resale value is specifically an issue with the iMacs.

On the whole most of the Mac laptops hold value very well, but iMacs seem to get hit more with upgrades and large refurb discounts - additionally, expensive to ship compared to Mac laptops or a Mac mini.

I have first hand experience with years and years of this routine. Just the iMac was the issue.

But yes- for a device with the screen it is a nice initial value, I agree.

Back