Dell 2408WFP Now Available

Never said the HP had no lag, just much less (i.e. noticeable) than the Dell. All LCDs have some lag, some more than others and the HP is a one of those that has a lot even the latest A01 version which I had.

try lcd24-7.info for a collection of reviews and news on 24" lcd screens. Plenty of reviews on both.

I never noticed any lag with 2408wfp at school. I used it briefly for browsing internet and played broodwar.
I think it's more of a draw picking a monitor with less or more lag. I know some people are going crazy over their 2408 because of lag.
Not all monitors are same from my experience, and I did notice those with multimedia interfaces generally have more lag than the other.

I never noticed any lag with 2408wfp at school. I used it briefly for browsing internet and played broodwar.
I think it's more of a draw picking a monitor with less or more lag. I know some people are going crazy over their 2408 because of lag.
Not all monitors are same from my experience, and I did notice those with multimedia interfaces generally have more lag than the other.

The lag would only be seen with a system you are familiar with as you may assume the machine you used briefly at school was just a tag slow. I noticed it more just in using the start menu or the drop down menus in apps and I'm only talking about a difference of some 30ms between the Dell and HP. I forget the registry setting but there are some registry tweaks where you can add this amount of delay to your windows and thus simulate the Dell to see if you can notice it yourself.

I believe the lag comes from monitors that offer scaling of resolutions beyond the native monitor resolution, so yes this includes multimedia monitors.

The lag would only be seen with a system you are familiar with as you may assume the machine you used briefly at school was just a tag slow. I noticed it more just in using the start menu or the drop down menus in apps and I'm only talking about a difference of some 30ms between the Dell and HP. I forget the registry setting but there are some registry tweaks where you can add this amount of delay to your windows and thus simulate the Dell to see if you can notice it yourself.

I believe the lag comes from monitors that offer scaling of resolutions beyond the native monitor resolution, so yes this includes multimedia monitors.

It has Q6600 and 3GB of ram. I did not notice lag at all. I think every 2408 is different.
Some with more or less, hence the reason I said it's more of a draw.

It has Q6600 and 3GB of ram. I did not notice lag at all. I think every 2408 is different.
Some with more or less, hence the reason I said it's more of a draw.

not sure what your prob is but again you notice it most when going to another monitor with less lag using the same machine. The lag is NOT a manufacturing defect, every 2408 has it. The only difference is between the A00 and A01 versions, with the lag dropping down from about 70ms lag to the 50ms range in the A01.

Where in the world do you get the notion that the lag is some variable in manufacturing?

not sure what your prob is but again you notice it most when going to another monitor with less lag using the same machine. The lag is NOT a manufacturing defect, every 2408 has it. The only difference is between the A00 and A01 versions, with the lag dropping down from about 70ms lag to the 50ms range in the A01.

Where in the world do you get the notion that the lag is some variable in manufacturing?

Because every monitor is different. Monitors of the same model reviewed by different people offer different results.
Even if you have 2 monitors of the same model, you'd still have to calibrate each one because they aren't exactly the same.
I am just saying the monitor I used was fine. I felt no lag compared to the S-IPS 2007wfp that I am used to.

Because every monitor is different. Monitors of the same model reviewed by different people offer different results.
Even if you have 2 monitors of the same model, you'd still have to calibrate each one because they aren't exactly the same.
I am just saying the monitor I used was fine. I felt no lag compared to the S-IPS 2007wfp that I am used to.

uh, no. All the reviews on the Dell 2408wfp indicate well above the average for lag. And lag has absolutely nothing to do with color calibration. Its like you're saying Windows runs faster on some machines than others even though the hardware is exactly the same, this doesn't make any sense.

quick search on the Dell 2007wfp seems to have lag issues as well so thats not saying much.

LCD panels are individual. I did not say lag has anything to do with color calibration.
I was pointing out that all panels of the same model can not be the same, and I used color calibration as an example.
You have to calibrate each and every monitor because they have different values even if they are of the same model. Can not be the same.

My 2007wfp S-IPS does not suffer from lag. You are talking about the 2007wfp that is equipped with S-PVA.
I've used the 2408wfp and I did not notice any lag in daily use like you did. This only leads me to believe some 2408wfp suffer from lag, and some don't, at least not from daily use such as internet browsing and starcraft.

uh, no. All the reviews on the Dell 2408wfp indicate well above the average for lag. And lag has absolutely nothing to do with color calibration. Its like you're saying Windows runs faster on some machines than others even though the hardware is exactly the same, this doesn't make any sense.

quick search on the Dell 2007wfp seems to have lag issues as well so thats not saying much.

LCD panels are individual. I did not say lag has anything to do with color calibration.
I was pointing out that all panels of the same model can not be the same, and I used color calibration as an example.
You have to calibrate each and every monitor because they have different values even if they are of the same model. Can not be the same.

My 2007wfp S-IPS does not suffer from lag. You are talking about the 2007wfp that is equipped with S-PVA.
I've used the 2408wfp and I did not notice any lag in daily use like you did. This only leads me to believe some 2408wfp suffer from lag, and some don't, at least not from daily use such as internet browsing and starcraft.

uh no again. I assure you lag was there you just didn't notice it or don't know what to look for, in which case this is the perfect monitor for you. :D

No, there really was no visible lag. I am not arguing with you because I feel like.
I only believe what I see and I think either you had a bad monitor or something related to your set up.
I've read reviews and those who stated this monitor suffer from input lag did not notice this in daily use.
Read: monitortest.blogspot.com/+dell+2408wfp+review&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

The reviewer states it can't be noticeable in daily use. Even at 55ms delay, can your eyes really catch 3 fps in mouse movement? :confused:

uh no again. I assure you lag was there you just didn't notice it or don't know what to look for, in which case this is the perfect monitor for you. :D

Lag does not vary between individual units. It's definitely there. Go test for it. Just because you are oblivious to the lag doesn't mean other people won't notice it. 55 ms is very noticeable to me.

No, there really was no visible lag. I am not arguing with you because I feel like.
I only believe what I see and I think either you had a bad monitor or something related to your set up.
I've read reviews and those who stated this monitor suffer from input lag did not notice this in daily use.
Read: monitortest.blogspot.com/+dell+2408wfp+review&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

The reviewer states it can't be noticeable in daily use. Even at 55ms delay, can your eyes really catch 3 fps in mouse movement? :confused:

Yes, the monitor you used was the only one in the world without the problem and yes lag is obviously a manufacturing defect from slow assembly line workers. :eek:

There was nothing wrong with my setup and every reviewer mentions the lag. The lag is not fiction, it is not a bad monitor sample issue, it is a "feature" of this model. I literally, without any reboots or anything, have switched between the 2408 and the LP2475 by simply swapping both HDMI and DVI cables to see any differences. I could immediately see a difference in navigating the start menu in Win XP. There was no difference in lag on either ports as some claim for the 2408.

You simply didn't notice it. You used two different monitors across two different machines in two different places. This does not mean the school monitor you sat in front of was somehow magically better than all the other ones manufactured. Perhaps someone at your school OC the monitor you sat in front of :D

For most people lag isn't an issue. I didn't notice anything either till I did my comparison (well I felt a little delay in menu navigating but thought that comes with LCDs as I had been using a CRT) . I didn't like the color shifting of the 2408 so I got the LP2475. When I had them both I'd thought I'd compare to see about this lag issue (as well as IQ) and then it was easy to notice during the compare and I'd much rather not have lag after using both. After using the 2408 for almost a month, the switch to the HP felt like I had done a cpu upgrade. Though again I replaced the 2408 because of the color shifting not the lag, this was just bonus.

Given these models are priced about the same I really don't see the value in the 2408. Though some people won't notice the color shifting and won't notice the lag issue so saving a few bucks (assuming they don't know how to shop) makes sense for them.

I mentioned this lag problem of 2408 is not really noticeable in daily use. I did not say it is without lag. I just can't imagine 2-3fps being noticeable unless you're playing FPS.

Hey guys..i got a problem with this monitor :( and it has nothing to do with input lag :p lol

Basically i got this monitor a nearly two weeks ago and only set it up to use for a couple of days..everything seemed to be fine until today...

When using my PC the screen just turned black...i checked the connections and the power and it all seems fine. The power light is still on and the dell soundbar powers on as well. However there does not seem to be anything appearing on the screen. The monitor does not SEEM to go into power save mode, since the power button does not turn orange.

I tried taking the power lead out and reconnecting, as well as the main plug and then the pc and checking other connections but nothing happened. I turned the mains off for a while and it came back. About 40 minutes later it has happened again and once again i had to turn the mains connection off then after about 10 mins try again and it works.

Anyone got any idea what is happening :confused:

Thanks guys!

I first thought it could be your system, but after reading the whole thing, I think something is wrong with your monitor.
You can exchange the monitor through Dell. They should send you a brand new monitor since you are still within their 21 day policy.

Can anyone tell me what the viewing angles are like with the 2408 and if you guys have seen the 2405 vs the 2408? My 2405 has really bad viewing angles and the color shifts even if looking at the screen head on.

I first thought it could be your system, but after reading the whole thing, I think something is wrong with your monitor.
You can exchange the monitor through Dell. They should send you a brand new monitor since you are still within their 21 day policy.

Yeh i spoke to dell and they will be sending me a new replacement soon.

I kept getting this problem after it first occured for the whole day both on the DVI nad HDMI outputs. Today however its been nearly an hour since its been on and the black/blank screen problem hasnt occured yet.

I was wondering if it has anything to do with the monitor getting too hot? I have noticed that is does get very hot and that includes the screen itself. If i put my hand about 4cm away from the screen i can feel quite a lot of heat and if i touch it it is rather hot :confused:

This monitor listed on Dell.ca at 549 $CAD until November 21. Does this portend a new model release or is it likely just a periodic sale?

normano, Dell recently released their new '09 lineup of moniitors.

I have been eying this monitor for almost a year now, and with the ridiculously cheap $517 sale now I'm considering getting it finally. I've been reading a ton about color problems and major input lag. Has any of these problems been fixed in the A01 revision? I will mostly use the monitor for basic internet use, as well as web development and some photoshop work. And most likely some casual gaming. I currently own a Samsung 226BW "C" which has some terrible color/backlight problems.

Thanks,
-robodude666

Robodude, here are my .02.

I recently got a 2408 for super cheap (< 500), through my work. Loved the connectivity options, image quality was great, no major complaints out of the box, except the lag. The lag is subtle, but it is definitely noticeable. I knew I wouldn't be able to forget about it and it would annoy me to no end. As far as I know this will not be corrected in any revision, though I do not know that for sure.

So I sent it back today, and will probably end up going with the new Dell SP2309. Its a TN panel, but I am not the type of user that is going to care that much. I will use it for programming, music production, movies, and some gaming. I don't need amazing color reproduction, or a large viewing angle, but I do need good response time, so I will be happy to save some money and get a decent fast performing monitor. Hope that helps.

Robodude, here are my .02.

I recently got a 2408 for super cheap (< 500), through my work. Loved the connectivity options, image quality was great, no major complaints out of the box, except the lag. The lag is subtle, but it is definitely noticeable. I knew I wouldn't be able to forget about it and it would annoy me to no end. As far as I know this will not be corrected in any revision, though I do not know that for sure.

So I sent it back today, and will probably end up going with the new Dell SP2309. Its a TN panel, but I am not the type of user that is going to care that much. I will use it for programming, music production, movies, and some gaming. I don't need amazing color reproduction, or a large viewing angle, but I do need good response time, so I will be happy to save some money and get a decent fast performing monitor. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the fast reply & thoughts!

Is the Input lag noticeable because you have a dual monitor setup and you can see how one monitor is slower than the other? Because you are expecting lag so you're looking for it? Or because it is very clear and visible?

How did you find Dell's return policy? I know they have an excellent pixel policy, but what about general returns? Who covered the shipping?

I was looking at their new 2009 lineup, but they are all 16:9 with the exception of the 2709 which is:
A) 2" too wide for my desk
B) Too expensive for my budget right now.

I like the 2408WFP most out of all 24" monitors because of the connectivity options and the excellent do-it-all stand. I probably won't use 3/4ths of the features, but it is good to know I have them as an option. I also don't need true colors, but it would be helpful to know what colors I am looking at as I do a lot of web design/development.

-robodude666

I noticed the lag simply because I am not used to seeing it, therefore it felt a little weird the first time I was just moving my mouse around. It was noticeably unresponsive. Now I did know about the lag problems before I bought the monitor, so maybe there was some kind of subconscious thing going on there, but honestly when I first plugged it in, the fact that I had a brand new huge monitor made me forget about any lag problems, so when I did notice something was off, it all made sense.

I am returning it through my guy at work who has a connection at dell, so fingers-crossed, I won't have to pay the restocking fee, but thats the worst case. I think its 15 percent or something. But I haven't been dealing with dell directly so I don't know what they are like about returns. As for shipping, I think they gave us a label, but I don't think thats standard.

good luck with your decision.

Robo
2309 is 16 x 9 TN. I don't consider it equivalent to 2408.
It's 'another' rather than 'new' model to me.
Was wondering about a 2409 but I guess TN rules another size.
Bought 2408 and it is shipped. Chose it as cheap(er) alternative to NEC 2490 which I am not ready for yet.
I'll look for my first and I guess worst lag.

It isn't supposed to be an equivalent. Its just their new line of monitors.

I took the chances and placed an order for the 2408WFP. Got the 25% discount which is nice. However, how did yours ship already? Mine says estimated ship date is 12/10/08. Is that because I ordered late at night and its just a generic estimate? I don't want to wait that long for a monitor.

I am considering purchasing this monitor. I will mostly use it for some photo work and viewing movies. Does input lag affect movie viewing or is this only for games. That is my main concern. How bad is it for gaming? I read most of the comments on this board, but some people say they don't notice any lag on games? I will either get the 2408WFP or the S2309W.

I am considering purchasing this monitor. I will mostly use it for some photo work and viewing movies. Does input lag affect movie viewing or is this only for games. That is my main concern. How bad is it for gaming? I read most of the comments on this board, but some people say they don't notice any lag on games? I will either get the 2408WFP or the S2309W.

Dell 2408 (Rev. A00)

S2309W is out of the question as a comparison.

Just got this monitor delivered today and set it up today and already I'm running into a problem with the monitor. I'm running dual monitors (2407fpw-hc and the 2408fpw) and I have my computer set so that after 3 minutes the monitors would go to sleep. Whenever I move the mouse or hit a key the 2408 just disables and the computer acts as if the 2407 is the only monitor hooked up. When I try to enable the 2408 it turns on for a second but then goes into sleep mode.

Was just wondering if this has been happening to anyone who has this monitor?? Its an A01 rev. monitor.

Which card and port do you have the monitor connected to?

On ATI Port 1 is the connector furthest from the motherboard, closest to the slot screw. On nVidia, it's usually the port closest to the motherboard.

Try ensuring that the 2408WFP is connected to port 1 on the selected video card and see if that helps. You also may want to install the 2408WFP driver on your computer.

I'm assuming you are using DVI to connect to the 2408WFP?

Just got this monitor delivered today and set it up today and already I'm running into a problem with the monitor. I'm running dual monitors (2407fpw-hc and the 2408fpw) and I have my computer set so that after 3 minutes the monitors would go to sleep. Whenever I move the mouse or hit a key the 2408 just disables and the computer acts as if the 2407 is the only monitor hooked up. When I try to enable the 2408 it turns on for a second but then goes into sleep mode.

Was just wondering if this has been happening to anyone who has this monitor?? Its an A01 rev. monitor.

Which card and port do you have the monitor connected to?

On ATI Port 1 is the connector furthest from the motherboard, closest to the slot screw. On nVidia, it's usually the port closest to the motherboard.

Try ensuring that the 2408WFP is connected to port 1 on the selected video card and see if that helps. You also may want to install the 2408WFP driver on your computer.

I'm assuming you are using DVI to connect to the 2408WFP?
I have it connected to port 1 and the 2407 is connected to port 2. At first I had them reversed but changed them because I thought maybe that might be the problem. I just swapped out the dvi cable connected to the 2408 with a new one.

Thats one thing I did forget to do install the drivers, I'll do that in a sec and see what happens.

Hey guys, what is your opinions on the refurb Dell 2408WFP's available through the dell outleT?

I snagged a 15% off coupon from ebay, so the deals are starting to look pretty enticing.

I could get a 2408WFP for $490-15%=$415 or a 2407WFP for $450 - %15=$382

What do you think?

I've had great experiences with Dell Outlet in the past, snagged an awesome XPS M1330 about a year ago for cheap

How does this monitor compare with the Westinghouse L2410NM? Is the input lag and color/text reproduction comparable?

I have a L2410NM currently and couldn't be happier, but I'm looking for two new 24-26" monitors to build a dual display setup and the L2410NM seems to be out of production and hard to find (or at least the L2410NM page at westinghouse.com is password protected and major retailers no longer sell this model).

So far I am considering the Dell 2408WFP, Planar PX2611W, and HP L2475w.

Gahh - I can't decide whether to pull the trigger or not..

It's sitting my cart right now... refurb Dell 2408WFP for $445 shipped after taxes, blah!

Why must Dell always come up with the most enticing deals?

Back