Dell 2408WFP Now Available

Dell has definitely lost my attention. I was secretly hoping that there would be this huge improvement and that I would be able to buy the new improved screen with my dell preferred account... But alas... No joy.

Boo

Guess it will be a LP305 for me.

I don't see the difference. It's not ahead any more (really) than it's behind?

On some shots it's a frame ahead, on some it's a frame behind, and others it's even. This is pretty inconclusive.

Yeah, doesn't look like anyone in that thread bothers to verify his findings...and just takes his word for it.

One poster provided sceenshot comparisons showing old and new monitor input lag.

What i wish they would have also done was shown the crt timer as well.

Oops I meant two frames different vs. a CRT in reference to the old model, ie. 32ms difference by being 11.8 vs. 45.

Attention Deficit Disorder can be helped by meds. I forgot where I put them though. Oh well.

Do you mean 3 frames? I was under the impression, with 60Hz refresh rate (60 cycles a second), that 16.6667ms would constitute one frame. E.g. 1000ms = 1s.

1000ms/60cycles = 16.66667ms per frame. Or am I simply using the wrong terminology here.

Now it seems he's "upgraded" his Picasa thread with more shots where the left monitor is consistently 1 or 2 frames ahead. Before it was ahead, ahead, behind, tied, behined, ahead....etc....

UNLESS, he's decided to use the HDMI connector for the rest to ensure there is a difference?

I registered so that I can ask him directly, because now it's just confusing.

Update:It seems the new part number for the revision is 320-6277 whereas the old one is 320-6272. This is part of understanding what the new monitor's part number should be on their web site too.

Yeah, doesn't look like anyone in that thread bothers to verify his findings...and just takes his word for it.

yeah, either way at this point I'd feel I'd need additional confirmation before jumping into the dell roulette.

and hopefully by then someone will have bought/received/ and reviewed the new doublesight....and by then a NEW "fantastic dell" will be out and THEN.....I'll have a seizure,break down and stop researching monitors and using computers all together o_O

Now it seems he's "upgraded" his Picasa thread with more shots where the left monitor is consistently 1 or 2 frames ahead. Before it was ahead, ahead, behind, tied, behined, ahead....etc....

Hmmmm. It sounds like cherry picking. We may have to wait for reliable CRT comparisons..

I looked at the first set of pictures and calculated an average of 4ms improvement, so I was skeptical, meaning within margin of error.

i went back later, to recheck my numbers, and was surprised i got it wrong. the new numbers were roughly 19ms. and in none of the cases was the older version faster.

here i thought i was sleeping at the keyboard. but maybe not. could you post if you find out what happenned?

If you guys are following recent posts on the Dell forum regarding this monitor, many are having great results in regards to input lag by replacing the supplied DVI-DVI cable with a DVI-HDMI (not a DVI-HDMI adapter). Both on the A00 and A01. I'm going to try this and report back. Many Dell users also say the color is improved.

OS

If you guys are following recent posts on the Dell forum regarding this monitor, many are having great results in regards to input lag by replacing the supplied DVI-DVI cable with a DVI-HDMI (not a DVI-HDMI adapter). Both on the A00 and A01. I'm going to try this and report back. Many Dell users also say the color is improved.

OS

I saw that as well, but was dubious as the results seemed too good to be true. I'm quite curious what your results will be. If the A01 improvements add on to the supposed HDMI improvements, the 2408WFP may be purchase worthy :D

OS

yeah well thats what makes the results hard to swallow; the pictures/results were obviously "updated" after the results were questioned...

yeah well thats what makes the results hard to swallow; the pictures/results were obviously "updated" after the results were questioned...

Time will tell, i have the new cable coming inna day or so, I'll let you all know the REAL results in various situations. I really don't expect miracles ... this would have been found out long ago is that dramatic.

Time will tell, i have the new cable coming inna day or so, I'll let you all know the REAL results in various situations. I really don't expect miracles ... this would have been found out long ago is that dramatic.

i look forward to your post. the author of those picassa pictures updated them without explanation, which is bad form. i am still skeptical on new firmware improvements, and will not risk sending the 2408 back.

the [hardforum?] reviewer at monitortest.blogspot.com alluded to better performance on HDMI, but he have no time to test. this is why i tried HDMI initially. I then went back in to quantify, which showed on average 32ms improvement.

would be nice to have this independently verified.

does that mean dvi is virtually unuseable for games/video?
has anyone tested the component connections for lag?

does that mean dvi is virtually unuseable for games/video?
has anyone tested the component connections for lag?

has anyone benched using DVI with "Video" mode? wondering if this would have the same effect as using HDMI (which forces "Video" mode).

Yeah, that was Albovin from the forums here as well as on the Prad.De forums. He is the one who suggested that a user might find less input lag using HDMI, and author of that very good review.

Your results were unquestionable. It was NHawk's that I was commenting on. But I found it very strange that he had some variances that were not quite 16 or 17ms which is normal when testing two LCD monitors side-by-side, as well as his initial pix that did not show anything conclusive between the two.

BTW, I didn't realize you were also in the GTA until I saw you talking about HDMI/DVI cables with another user on there.

I'm still waiting on Dell.ca to actually change the part number from 320-6272 to 320-6277. I would order one and test it vs. CRT, because if the lag is a design fault, it can be sent back without question due to the fact that an exchange will not resolve the situation with input lag.

Enjoy.

i look forward to your post. the author of those picassa pictures updated them without explanation, which is bad form. i am still skeptical on new firmware improvements, and will not risk sending the 2408 back.

the [hardforum?] reviewer at monitortest.blogspot.com alluded to better performance on HDMI, but he have no time to test. this is why i tried HDMI initially. I then went back in to quantify, which showed on average 32ms improvement.

would be nice to have this independently verified.

has anyone benched using DVI with "Video" mode? wondering if this would have the same effect as using HDMI (which forces "Video" mode).

had some time, so i tested this. no change on DVI when switching to "Video" mode. i posted results at Dell.

the benefit, for my config, appears to be from using the HDMI port, via adapter on the card. i had already picked up yet another DVI-to-HDMI cable at PCV today, so will be using that. update: not.

10e, thanks for the comments.

have a nice weekend all.

update: i tested my brannd new $18 DVI-to-HDMI cable, and it behaves just like DVI. i.e. ATi CCC sees a DVI device, the 2408 allows "Graphics" preset, and the apparent lag is there. looks like my ASUS ATI card is doing something additional, when using the ASUS-supplied adapter. either that, or this really needed a Factory Reset on the 2408. my HDMI adapter setup was doing this as well, until i did the reset. basically, my cogig will POST with a green background on the screen when everything is HDMI.

Ordered my 2408WFP today! Dell sure is slow compared to other major e-tailers. First time I've ordered anything from them. A week just to get a monitor out the door. Its not like they have to build it.

Well I think I'm ready to take the plunge and buy this new revision...

Anyone have any good coupons and stuff?

Well ok ... got my DVI-HDMI cable and tried it out. Honestly I can't see or feel any difference. The colors appear to be the same as well. Too bad the 2408 cannot PIP between DVI and HDMI else I could run some real tests. Voices sync while playing a movie in VLC does seems to have a small delay. Remember my 2408 is a A00, and I can't say how this will effect a A01. Until I do further testing, I can't tell you that an HDMI cable was an input lag cure.

Well ok ... got my DVI-HDMI cable and tried it out. Honestly I can't see or feel any difference. The colors appear to be the same as well. Too bad the 2408 cannot PIP between DVI and HDMI else I could run some real tests. Voices sync while playing a movie in VLC does seems to have a small delay. Remember my 2408 is a A00, and I can't say how this will effect a A01. Until I do further testing, I can't tell you that an HDMI cable was an input lag cure.

i only see (and benched) reduced lag times when ATi CCC sees an HDMI device, on my config.

other ways I can HDMI is in effect on the pc is, in the 2408 OSD, selecting for "Graphics" versus "Video" is disabled (so is Gamma), and the 2408 is forced "Video" mode.

Has anyone noticed any difference in contrast ratio between the 2407 and the 2408?

Will i've been using the DVI-HDMI cable for a few days now. From what i've read, you need to be in the video mode to see the input lad reduction, but honestly I don't really see a difference. If you tune the colors when in video mode (default makes everything bluish) it can look pretty good, but no noticable response time difference. Personally I think that after tuning, colors are better in video mode but movies are worse. Every tone of grey comes accross as green and it drives me bonkers. Other colors are not effected like the greens are. Maybe the A01 will be different.

hmm so nobody knows if this A01 actually eliminated the input lag? if it did that might be a good enough reason for me to pick this one up instead of waiting to buy a 30".

hmm so nobody knows if this A01 actually eliminated the input lag? if it did that might be a good enough reason for me to pick this one up instead of waiting to buy a 30".

Well, I will have that answer for you soon, but not right away. Despite the monitors quirks, I will be buying another as soon as a decent sale comes. I'll post another full report then.

Well, I will have that answer for you soon, but not right away. Despite the monitors quirks, I will be buying another as soon as a decent sale comes. I'll post another full report then.

hmm the standard price is pretty much the $600 it's at now. why not just go for it?

Everyone, I'm looking for a high quality monitor for mostly just web surfing, watching movies (streaming, DVD, and Bluray) and some light photoshop. No gaming... I want a high quality monitor with great viewing angles. If I don't game, once calibrated, this monitor sounds like it should be sweet for what I want right? Opinions?

Yes.

It should be very good for all of these purposes, with one caveat. Revision A01 has better sharpness settings to make text more sharp or smooth (depending on your tastes) so considering the timing, you should be happy, because A01 is pretty much most of what is now shipping (apparently).

Everyone, I'm looking for a high quality monitor for mostly just web surfing, watching movies (streaming, DVD, and Bluray) and some light photoshop. No gaming... I want a high quality monitor with great viewing angles. If I don't game, once calibrated, this monitor sounds like it should be sweet for what I want right? Opinions?

Will i've been using the DVI-HDMI cable for a few days now. From what i've read, you need to be in the video mode to see the input lad reduction, but honestly I don't really see a difference. If you tune the colors when in video mode (default makes everything bluish) it can look pretty good, but no noticable response time difference. Personally I think that after tuning, colors are better in video mode but movies are worse. Every tone of grey comes accross as green and it drives me bonkers. Other colors are not effected like the greens are. Maybe the A01 will be different.

assuming this is your graphics card, i could not see a reference to official HDMI support. this is likely the key. there may be alternatives, such as forcing YCbCr within nVidia software, no one has tested this that I know of.

my config using ATi and HDMI (via proprietary ATi DVI-to-HDMI adapter, which also supports audio), with CCC showing an HDMI (tm) connection, showed lag improvement of roughly 2 frames versus DVI. i find the lag difference noticeable.

Back