Dell 2408WFP Now Available

I would have to have rocks in my head to buy this over the Gateway 24"..
good point. you totally made me see things from a different perspective. namely, the perspective of having rocks in my head. i will now go buy a gateway monitor that is so reflective that i can shave in front of it. :rolleyes:

btw your signature is too long, you might want to check out the forum rules before an admin deletes it.

Hi, this monitor should be avaiable in EMEA market in 1/2 of february. I have this info from DELL product manager...
He told me also,that:
"Maybe it could be earlier, if there will be "big pressure" to DELL"

when will it be in europe?

I hate how you have to quote manually in this forum, because the kid who posted in front of me (zinn) is making it seem like a fetish geek site that which I know it isn't. But seriously were you being sarcastic or just flaming over a lamented purchase...I hope it was the former, because were all just trying to get the best shit right, so why fuss over products that you have know experience with?

I hope you can figure this out.... LOL

good point. you totally made me see things from a different perspective. namely, the perspective of having rocks in my head. i will now go buy a gateway monitor that is so reflective that i can shave in front of it. :rolleyes:

...or is it simply a cunning tongue in cheek reference to the location of Dell's Corporate HQ?

(1 Dell way, Round Rock, Texas)

Surely not....:p

Hi, this monitor should be avaiable in EMEA market in 1/2 of february. I have this info from DELL product manager...
He told me also,that:
"Maybe it could be earlier, if there will be "big pressure" to DELL"

thanks

Crap, can anyone/anything confirm this? There goes my hope of getting a monitor anytime this century...

It's been true of every Dell so far.

The closest you could get is setting the wii to widescreen mode and setting the monitor to full mode.

that'd be 16:9 content squished down to 16:10, and everything would look too narrow and thin.

but there you go. Engineers think 1:1 and aspect are all you ever need. Wrong.

1st revision already doesnt support 16:9 and 4:3 scaling modes.

So don't expect to view anything over composite/s-video or anything 480i/p (Nintendo Wii) without distortion.

How do you know this? Is there a review somewhere that you can post?

I am a current Gateway FHD2400 user but am looking to use the 2408wfp as a replacement because of the Gateway's terrible backlight bleeding. But assuming that the 2408wfp accurately displays PS3, XBox 360, and Wii with minimal tearing and does not have backlight leaking, I'd concur you'd have to have rocks in your head to get the Gateway. However, we don't know whether the Dell can do that or not yet. On a side not, though, the glossy screen is kind of useful as a mirror if I'm in a rush to get out the door but can't tear myself away from the computer.

The closest you could get is setting the wii to widescreen mode and setting the monitor to full mode.

that'd be 16:9 content squished down to 16:10, and everything would look too narrow and thin.

You don't want to scale up image to full screen size distorting other aspect ratio inputs?

Then what are you complaining about setting which retain resolution of inputted image and centers it on display, or setting for scaling up inputted image until it reaches sides of display either in horizontal or vertical direction?
Do you want an option which turns image to 45 degree angle and then spreads it to full screen? :confused:

I'm thinking of returning my gateway FHD2400 for the same black light bleeding problem. Also the viewing angle is now too narrow for me. I like to sit back and puff huge spliffs while gaming or watching movies, and every time I lean back in my chair, my colors go *blah*.

This might be nice if I can get it at Best Buy or Staples so I wouldn't have to pay to ship it back.

Bad news. I ordered this monitor on Jan 16 and I just got this email...

"We would like to inform you that your recent order is on hold, this is because the monitor you have selected is currently unavailable Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp™ 24 Inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor. We have the UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand for a $100.00 less.

Please let us know if you agree to this modification on your order. We would appreciate your quick response so we may complete your order on a timely manner."

It's been true of every Dell so far.

Ah, I thought it was implied it wouldn't even do the 1:1 and aspect scaling - if it does at least them I'm happy (but not as happy as possible :eek:).

I hate the HC type extended color gamut, since for non-pro work, this means that all the content you view has wrong colors. Greens look cartoonish, because all the content you're viewing on your monitor (pictures, video) was mastered for REC 601/709 not Adobe sRGB, which means this monitor is displaying wrong colors for everything - greens are so oversaturated its not funny. Why are people so excited about viewing inaccurate colors?

Sure you can select the right colorspace and calibrate the colors down, IF you own a hardware calibrating device + software + have the know how, but 90%+ of the people who buy these high gamut monitors never do that and end up living with crap. Besides if you're going to 'fix' the colors, you didn't need the extended gamut anyways? Why pay extra for a feature that's never going to be useful to 99.9999% of the population? Why don't they just ship a monitor with accurate REC 601 colors out of the box instead.

You don't want to scale up image to full screen size distorting other aspect ratio inputs?

Then what are you complaining about setting which retain resolution of inputted image and centers it on display, or setting for scaling up inputted image until it reaches sides of display either in horizontal or vertical direction?
Do you want an option which turns image to 45 degree angle and then spreads it to full screen? :confused:

I want modes for retaining aspect of image content. Thus one needs 4:3 and 16:9 scaling modes.

is this a rumor or is this true... Damn! if this is true I just freakn bough a Dell 2407 ao3 from eBay

I hate the HC type extended color gamut, since for non-pro work, this means that all the content you view has wrong colors....

Sure you can select the right colorspace and calibrate the colors down, IF you own a hardware calibrating device + software + have the know how, but 90%+ of the people who buy these high gamut monitors never do that and end up living with crap. Besides if you're going to 'fix' the colors, you didn't need the extended gamut anyways? Why pay extra for a feature that's never going to be useful to 99.9999% of the population? Why don't they just ship a monitor with accurate REC 601 colors out of the box instead.

Bingo. But let me correct you the hardware calibration point. You just can't do that. No hardware calibrator on the market now will allow you to profile your monitor make a customized profile for sRGB for a wide gamut monitor.

Your only options would be to either use a monitor OSD preset (not sure if the 2408 has this but some LCDs do) or purposely not use the drivers for the monitor and force a preset sRGB profile. Neither is a good option as neither are custom to your monitor. Profiling is always preferred.

But the why is HDTV. These monitors should display correct colors by default when playing your Xbox 360 or PS3. The problem is the feature is being added before their is an OS solution. At 92% gamut the effect was only 20% over saturated / cartoonish. I am curious to see just how ridicilous a 102% - 117% looks. I would think that would have to be the tipping point at which the average user starts to say, "WTF?!?":eek:

This problem could be fixed real quick by MS by simply making the HDTV color space the standard for windows. That would ensure sRGB content is displayed correctly as well as these new wider gamut monitors. The HDTV standard as well the future standard scRGB are designed with sRGB as a subset.

This is going to be an on going problem until monitors are able to cover the entire spectrum covered by the human eye. MS and W3C already have a defined color space that exceeds the human eye, scRGB, which in theory would the end run of digital color spaces.

Yes I hope there's an option in the OSD to return this monitor closer to a sRGB colorspace in the primary colors otherwise you will see what I have seen from the 2407wfp-HC - i.e. really bad colors. For the small percentage of people who need Adobe RGB to do print mastering, that's nice, but for anyone watching movies, pictures on the web or any other normal computer use, the colors are bad.

Yes I hope there's an option in the OSD to return this monitor closer to a sRGB colorspace in the primary colors otherwise you will see what I have seen from the 2407wfp-HC - i.e. really bad colors. For the small percentage of people who need Adobe RGB to do print mastering, that's nice, but for anyone watching movies, pictures on the web or any other normal computer use, the colors are bad.

The manual is online (forget if it has been mentioned already) here.

If you go through the OSD stuff it mentions a few different presets, including sRGB which supposedly is a "Mode to emulate 72% NTSC color".

EDIT: Also shows that this monitor does 1:1, aspect, and fill, which I'm almost positive has been said before, but now there's documentation to back it up.

Note: The descriptions don't always line up properly with their setting, at least for me.

Ok stop being an obnoxious ignoramus. You clearly don't understand how even current Dell monitors work, so posting meaningless links to things that don't solve the problem Dell has created and continues with these new monitors means you're just being a jackass.

I want modes for retaining aspect of image content. Thus one needs 4:3 and 16:9 scaling modes.

(Dell's) Engineers think 1:1 and aspect are all you ever need. Wrong.

I should edit that to include "and lots of HardForumers"

Just trying to learn here so please bear with me. The only Dell's I've messed with are 2007s at work.
:confused:
I was under the impression that the "aspect" display setting would achieve this by enlarging the image until either the top/bottom or the left/right edges hit the edge of the screen leaving black bars as necessary. Is this understanding wrong, or does it just not work for all the inputs.

480p is 720x480, which is a 3:2 resolution, but it's supposed to be displayed at 4:3 or 16:9. The problem is the 1:1 and aspect settings treat it as 3:2, so it's never the right aspect ratio. It's so frustrating to see so many monitors screw this up when it would be a relatively simple fix.

I was under the impression that the "aspect" display setting would achieve this by enlarging the image until either the top/bottom or the left/right edges hit the edge of the screen leaving black bars as necessary. Is this understanding wrong, or does it just not work for all the inputs.
That's exactly what it does.

480p is 720x480, which is a 3:2 resolution, but it's supposed to be displayed at 4:3 or 16:9.
So image is anamorphic/non-square pixel/"distorted sampling" resolution.
While for movie films anamorphic picture was and still is good way to achieve higher resolution without needing much wider film this kind special case jerry-rig should never have been taken into TV use. It doesn't even comply with any SDTV system or HDTV.
First of all necessary scaling operations would probably require increasing processing power considerably because there would more complex processing required, first for stretching 3:2 image to 16:9 (or 4:3) image and then finally doing aspect scaling for it.
And again all 480p material isn't anamorphic so then that would be distorted. And if they implemented setting for turning extra scaling on and off people would have it in wrong setting most of the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p

Ok stop being an obnoxious ignoramus. You clearly don't understand how even current Dell monitors work, so posting meaningless links to things that don't solve the problem Dell has created and continues with these new monitors means you're just being a jackass.
If you don't tell the f*cking problem then don't expect to get f*cking answers!

Just trying to learn here so please bear with me. The only Dell's I've messed with are 2007s at work.
:confused:

Thank you for at least trying to understand instead of assuming I'm the ignorant one (unlike our buddy E.T. here who needs to GO HOME. ;))

Basically the fellow who posts after you gets it right. Composite and s-video (NTSC) signals and any cable-carried 480i/p is actually a 3:2 aspect. However, the content carried by said signal is actually designed for 4:3 or 16:9 aspect display. The content doesn't match the signal. Aspect or 1:1 mode would be maintaing the 3:2 aspect, when we actually want to convert to 4:3 or 16:9. These signals always work with tvs because tvs are always either 4:3 or 16:9. Computer monitors are 16:10, of course (at least the widescreen ones).

480p is 720x480, which is a 3:2 resolution, but it's supposed to be displayed at 4:3 or 16:9. The problem is the 1:1 and aspect settings treat it as 3:2, so it's never the right aspect ratio. It's so frustrating to see so many monitors screw this up when it would be a relatively simple fix.

Exactly. The fix being, 4:3 and 16:9 scaling modes added next to Full, Aspect, and 1:1. No more a complex operation than any other kind of scaling already being done. The largest 4:3 (touching top and bottom) and 16:9 (touching sides) box is a fixed size for any given widescreen. Scale the input signal to that box. Done. It's exactly the same as the "Full" scaling mode - regardless of input signal, scales it up to the fixed size box.

If you don't tell the f*cking problem then don't expect to get f*cking answers!

If I don't tell the problem...

I think you forgot to flesh our your sentence. Nevertheless, I have been in contact with Dell about the problem, and I have brought it up in numerous other threads.

I think you're suddenly very testy because YOU didn't understand the situation, and made the pathetic mistake of accusing me of being incorrect or misled.

If you had asked for clarification, I would have been happy to supply like I did the fellow above.

You've obviously never used composite or s-video or 480i or p on any Dell widescreen, so leave discussion of its inner workings to people who have, or just be polite and ask questions.

Exactly. The fix being, 4:3 and 16:9 scaling modes added next to Full, Aspect, and 1:1. No more a complex operation than any other kind of scaling already being done. The largest 4:3 (touching top and bottom) and 16:9 (touching sides) box is a fixed size for any given widescreen. Scale the input signal to that box. Done. It's exactly the same as the "Full" scaling mode - regardless of input signal, scales it up to the fixed size box.
Problem isn't scaling image up but distorted input image like ToastyX explained.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic

If you think it's that easy why don't you "put your money where your mouth is" and go to make necessary scaling system for Dell?

You can practise by taking digiphoto which contains lot of geometric shapes (or anything with sharp contrasted shapes) and cropping 853x480 area from it. Then resize it to 720x480 size (unselect aspect ratio lock) for getting non square pixels 480p source and save it. Now try to get that to 1920x1080 size good looking image without either serious blurring or overcompressed JPEG-like artifacts. After you've achieved that make it automated macro/script which does all necessary processing to 60 images per second.
With interlaced source (another analog era relic which shouldn't have any place in digital era) job just gets shittier.

I think you're suddenly very testy because YOU didn't understand the situation, and made the pathetic mistake of accusing me of being incorrect or misled.
Now who's the one who started calling names?

Dude, seriously. Just walk away. Throwing out wiki links and spewing out a bunch of shit that has little to do with the specific issue at hand is making you look worse and worse and just clogging up the thread.

Changing a 3:2 aspect image to a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect image is done through scaling.

It's a scaling issue. Fixed by adding another scaling mode. It's really quite simple. E.T. go home.

I already put it out there in the thread that it's disappointing this new monitor has the same problem as all the other Dells.

I hope A. More people become aware of the issue and
B. Dell fixes it finally, for the entire lineup.
C. All monitor manufacturers fix it.

If Samsung has been doing it right for years, why don't the others?

Because it's overlooked. Not because it's impossible or difficult at all.

P.S. "testy" is an adjective, not a name (noun).

P.P.S. You tried to whine about how much of a "shitty" operation that is. But you fucking fail for ignoring AGAIN that "Full" scaling mode does all of that very same work (to an even larger end area), and is a standard feature on widescreen monitors of all kinds.

:cool:
Thanks for the explanation guys. Sounds like this also explains why I have to sometimes force a different aspect ratio when watching videos in VLC because it doesn't look quite right.

Deusfaux and E.T - Both you guys need to seriously chill out and knock off the in thread bickering. You can disagree about the facts all you want, but when it starts to get personal you can count on a mod or admin stepping in and more often than not, that doesn't go well.

Crap, can anyone/anything confirm this? There goes my hope of getting a monitor anytime this century...

I am currently using a Gateway FHD2400, which only has 1:1, Zoom, and Wide scaling options (it also has Overscan toggle). I can tell the Wii image has some minor image distortion (not as bad as stretching 1080p to 1920x1200). I can't say that this monitor will produce a perfectly proportioned 480p image, either. However, the Wii is going to look so bland on an LCD with this resolution anyways that minor distortion is the least of your worries when viewing a Wii game.

2:26:31 PM Me I was trying to purchase a Dell 2408WFP 24" LCD monitor but the web page tells me that it is no longer available. Do you know when this monitor will be available?
2:27:40 PM E&A_CHAT_Lee I'll call over to our product support to see if they can tell me
2:28:01 PM Me ok
2:32:41 PM E&A_CHAT_Lee ok they said that monitor has been discontinued - and they expect to have a replacement later this quarter - so in a couple months
2:33:30 PM Me Discontinued? I thought it was a new release.
2:33:45 PM Me Okay, well, I'll keep my eye out for it.
2:34:16 PM E&A_CHAT_Lee yeah just check back periodically
2:34:36 PM E&A_CHAT_Lee they couldn't give me an exact date

Sounds to me like "discontinued" actually means "recalled"... how disappointing. :-/

Damn, I was about to buy it too. Hopefully it's not too long before it actually launches...

Bah.. I was hoping for a review of this monitor soon, I guess not.

Found this while browsing Google... figured some might be interested. It's a (still up, as of midnight 1/27) product page on Dell.com for it, with full specs and everything. The page up earlier was just a simple buy page, so if anything it looks like they're going forward with it, no recall. Maybe it just wasn't quite ready to go up earlier and they didn't have them ready yet.

Found this while browsing Google... figured some might be interested. It's a (still up, as of midnight 1/27) product page on Dell.com for it, with full specs and everything. The page up earlier was just a simple buy page, so if anything it looks like they're going forward with it, no recall. Maybe it just wasn't quite ready to go up earlier and they didn't have them ready yet.

Wow, good find! I'm really looking forward to the monitor!

Dell - hurry it up, or at least provide a firm release date!

Awesome find. This thing has to be coming soon, argh.

Back