Dell 2408wfp and PS3 - clear or not?

uacn8

Weaksauce
Hello there,

today I recieved brand new dell monitor. It's 2408wfp model, A02 revision, and it does have S-IPS panel. Production date: 7th august 2009.

Next thing I would like to buy is ps3. But I have no clue how things will work together, I mean, will the image be all right? Without any black bars, stretched pixels or some other anomalies? How about quality?

I'm aware of an external dell thread, but I do have limited time and I believe I'll get your answer fast. I deeply appreciate your feedback, I really do.

best wishes

post scriptum:

forgive me my grammatic blasphemies, english isn't my first and I'm still learning.

It has both aspect ratio scaling and 1:1, so you'll be fine. You'll have to choose between black bars on top/bottom or a small amount of vertical stretching. It's a 16:10 monitor and there's nothing you can do about that otherwise. Generally scalers in new and higher end panels like this are very good to excellent and preserve details without blurring much.

How do you know the 2408WFP has an S-IPS panel? That monitor is exclusively S-PVA, unless Dell is doing another panel lottery, which in that case, is a significant development.

As for your question, I've been able to hook up consoles to my 2407WFP (older model but nearly identical in inputs) with 1:1 pixel mapping. The Dell OSD has a "stretch" option that has the picture stretched to fit the frame of the monitor, but that's not what you want. There is an option that maintains the PS3's 16:9 aspect ratio. You can either use HDMI or Component to hook up your PS3 to the 2408WFP that way.

You could play without letterboxing, but stretching a 16:9 picture to 16:10 is unacceptable, IMO, as it stretches the picture too much vertically.

As for letterboxing, is it significiant? I would like to avoid gaming on a small, enclosed window..

How can I prove to you that's really s-ips type panel?

Other than opening the monitor and checking the actual panel, you'll have to do response time tests, viewing angles, and black level tests, and see if the characteristics more carefully represents IPS or PVA.

It's most likely S-PVA anyways and you were probably mistaken, though a part of me hopes it really is IPS. ;)

Well I can check that for you, if you explain me how to do it; do some black level test etc. Perhaps there are tools available that I don't know?

Well I can check that for you, if you explain me how to do it; do some black level test etc. Perhaps there are tools available that I don't know?

Black screen test. Take a picture of a black screen from:

1. Head on, normal viewing distance
2. Head on, as close as possible while keeping the entire monitor in view
3. Wide vertical and horizontal angles.

If the monitor glows white in the corners/at extreme angles the panel IPS. If it glows red or green the it's A-TW IPS. If it glows more uniformly across the screen (and not very much), it's PVA.

Black crush test. Take a picture of this image at wide angles and dead center. If the word 'TEST' stands out from the background more from a horizontal angle than from dead center, the panel is PVA.

Mountain test. Take a picture of this image from wide horizontal angles and dead center. If the picture presents a brightness gradient in the image at all angles, the panel is PVA.

Edit: I completely forgot to answer your question. According to albovin the 2408WFP displayed content perfectly with a Blu-ray player hooked up via DVI, which means the same for a PS3. There were some issues with HDMI, so just get an HDMI-DVI cable and use that.

Last edited:
Thanks, nomu! I'll take the tests tomorrow, off to sleep right now. Work awaits *sad face*.

I forgot to mention one thing as well, my monitor is temporarily displaying image using d-sub (vga on toshiba tecra m9 laptop with nvidia nvs 130 graphic card). Will it make a difference?

Thank you all for helping me out, I wish you good night. Till tomorrow!

In regards to how much letterboxing this web site can give you a clear understanding:

http://www.tvcalculator.com/

Select 16:9 as the source image at top, then enter in your monitor's characteristics in the fields below TV 1:

24 inches
16:10 for aspect ratio
1920 pixels wide
1200 pixels high

The 2408WFP has different display modes. You can use graphics or video under display settings. I would recommend using "graphics" as it removes any cutting off of the picture and shows the image in properly stretched mode. You should also select "Aspect" as the image mode.

Good luck.

What made you think that the monitor you received was an IPS panel?

Back