Dell 2407WFP Rev A04 Spotted.

I am just not sure that the A04 is going to change much from the A03 knowing what I have been hearing from Dell. I have a great A03 absolutely no problems so far. Tomorrow is my 21st day as the order was the 5th so I just dont know what to do. Do I try to get an A04 and then have problems with it or do I just sit on it.
Any chance Dell would flash it to the new firmware?

By the way my monitor in service mode says V1B20 on the top left and then HN208 on the top right, anyone know what panel this is and is one better than the other?

I am just not sure that the A04 is going to change much from the A03 knowing what I have been hearing from Dell. I have a great A03 absolutely no problems so far. Tomorrow is my 21st day as the order was the 5th so I just dont know what to do. Do I try to get an A04 and then have problems with it or do I just sit on it.
Any chance Dell would flash it to the new firmware?

By the way my monitor in service mode says V1B20 on the top left and then HN208 on the top right, anyone know what panel this is and is one better than the other?

I really would heavily suggest sticking with what you have :) And no,Dell will not 'flash' your LCD to an A04. ;)

Manny's right about Dell not flashing firmware. They state this clearly in their forums which leaves me scratching my head. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another Hardware company that would not allow it's users to flash its firmware to improve the functionality of their product. Motherboards, check. Videocards, check. Soundcards, check. Dell is claiming that it is a manufacturer's decision and not their own. Could be true I suppose. I just don't like the idea that they would be unwilling to correct something that a firmware update would fix. Many on the forums are claiming that other manufacturers are allowing users to flash firmware via usb drives. How do you guys feel about that?

I shipped mine off yesterday and it should arrive at Dell Tuesday. Still crossing my fingers as to the refund that I was told I would be getting. Going back to my 19" did hurt. My computer desk looks so barren.

Not sure what else can be said about the product. I am looking forward to picking up the A04 eventually. I hear other 24" monitors are great, but for some reason I'd like to stick with Dell's.

Daines

Is the below statements still true with the newer A03 and A04 monitors in that it cannot accept 1080i/p via DVI?
Anybody tried it with a sattelite box or Cable box?

"The monitor is indeed HDCP compatible. We’ve had several reports saying this is absolutely true, however, they are not able to get a 1080i/p (via DVI) signal (encoded with HDCP) displayed on the monitor, only 720p. Many are aware that the 2405WFP was able to accept a 1080i signal through the DVI port and display it. The first piece of the puzzle is that the 2405WFP had a de-interlacer in the pathway before being displayed, which allowed it to recieve a 1080i signal through the DVI port. This 1080i signal in turn would be de-interlaced to a progressive signal and then displayed, essentially giving you 1080p. For non-HDCP encoded HDTV Cable signal (via HDMI->DVI cable) or any source at 1080i with no protection this was suitable.

Fast foward to now the 2407WFP you are no longer able to do this. Even though the 2407WFP is HDCP compliant, it will not allow a 1080i signal through its DVI port. This is due to the 2407WFP’s lack of a de-interlacer in the VGA/DVI ports. The Genesis controller FLI5962H will only process progressive signals because of this limitation. Most HDTVs have de-interlacers in them, so HDMI ports are commonly fed 1080i signals. The better HDTVs can de-interlace the signal to 1080p. Unfortunately, the 2407WFP can not do this"

How about this quote in comparison in september notice the video editing article shows what i think is a different de-interlacer

"It's HDCP compliant, so any HDTV signal, even if it's equipped with copy protection, passes through this Dell monitor without a hitch. We got a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD personal video recorder (PVR) set-top box and hooked it up to the component inputs on the Dell monitor, and ended up with a large and extremely sharp TV set. The monitor has DCDi (Directional Correlational Deinterlacing) processing by Faroudja, making PVR and DVD playback a smooth experience"

I feel that I may be done with Dell if indeed a A04 doesn't show up on my door step. So far they have so much going against them in my books.

-Out sourced CS is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.
-Quality control issues it seems. So far I have had two 2407's. First one arrived with a dead pixel, bad backbleed for this particular monitor, scratches all over the back of the bezel and a very crooked stand.
-Second monitor is perfect but the component inputs have failed.
-1:1 doesn't work as advertised
-Shady sales, does not apply full discount on product.

I will return this new monitor if it's an A03. I will just settle for a 22" for half the cost and deal with the negatives. I'm sure two weeks in to using a 22" I won't even realize what I notice at first.

I'll let you guys know if I get a A04 though. I'f I don't I'll never deal with Dell again(if there isn't already so much on the plate not to).

btw, my younger brother has cut dell off for all future purchases from issues with a laptop not getting resolved. Which actually ended up in a class action lawsuit. He's usually pretty tolerant of issues but dell just pissed him off. So I should have took that as a sign maybe.

Some of the responses on this issue,as well as ones I have read on other forums regarding the same LCD/rev,are the main reason companies like Dell deny
changes in revisions.Too many people expect it all and then some.Given the price and the shipping costs,etc,etc,we are getting a great deal for the average
price these LCD's go for;especially when you think of the coupons a person can get and apply and stack.....I wont go naming names but my god....

gregnauman,seriously,keep your current screen,in your own words its great.Tyr-Sog,I hope you get your refund or whatever on the LCD.But I dont think you
will be happier with a 22" TN with 6 bit color,and bleed ;) and you know it too... :D

As for 'out sourcing' get used to it as more and more and more and more companies are doing it,and will continue to do it.and it will only get worse
,not better.I know all about it,I was on the phone yesterday with a Dell rep named 'Goerge' with a punjabi accent as thick is concrete,never mind molasses!
for over an hour.I had to repeat everything I said 5 TO 10 TIMES,and even then it got to the point where I had to spell it out letter by letter.Not to mention the static
on the call.

Anyone know how long the current 10% off sale will last?

I mean, is it worth it to wait awhile, thus increasing the chances of getting an A04, but have to pay $749 for it, instead of the current $674?

besides, i'd say you're sitting more pretty if you order a 2047 than if you're trying to buy a 2007wfp

gregnauman,seriously,keep your current screen,in your own words its great.Tyr-Sog,I hope you get your refund or whatever on the LCD.But I dont think you
will be happier with a 22" TN with 6 bit color,and bleed ;) and you know it too... :D

I just want what's advertised to work. Nothing more, nothing less. That is what I'm paying for. If there's a rev. A04 out and it actually fixes the monitor to work as intended, then I expect it or I expect a firmware fix for the A03. If Dell doesn't want to give either then they need to fix their description of the monitor and stop leading people on. These monitors are now advertised to work with multiplatforms, make them work right.

Meh, $400 could be put towards a 32" lcd hdtv for the 360. I game more on my 360 then my pc. The $300 22" would be fine as long as I just use it for the pc. I have been just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone by buy the 24". It's a decent enough size to act like a secondary tv and has the multi inputs. Unfortunally LCD monitors at this stage in the game still seem to be in beta.

I suggest you all make your way over to the Dell forums to voice your opinion on this issue:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=73079

After all, the customer should be getting a product whose functionality matches those that were advertised. Having broken 1:1/aspect ratio control is a pretty big misstep in my book, and letting it slide would just indicate to Dell that the customer is willing to take it lying down.

I really would heavily suggest sticking with what you have :) And no,Dell will not 'flash' your LCD to an A04. ;)

Some of the responses on this issue,as well as ones I have read on other forums regarding the same LCD/rev,are the main reason companies like Dell deny
changes in revisions.Too many people expect it all and then some.Given the price and the shipping costs,etc,etc,we are getting a great deal for the average
price these LCD's go for;especially when you think of the coupons a person can get and apply and stack.....I wont go naming names but my god....

I fail to see how your suggestions help to resolve the issues experienced by owners of previous monitor revisions. Is it fair to paint the customers as cheapskates, when the fault lies with Dell's inability to include advertised features in their LCDs in the first place? I think not.

While I agree with this to some degree, this clearly isn't a case where people are trying to get "everything for nothing". Simple fact of the matter is that in any other industry, defects such as this result in RECALLS where equipment is retro-fitted at the manufacturer's expense. You don't need to look any further than the automobile industry.

The sad reality is that Dell is banking on 90% of 2407wfp users never using the component inputs or for the VGA from anything other than their PC and then the 90% of those who actually do to not notice their 16:9 image is being stretched to 16:10. That's why they continue to sell their old and outdated stock of A03s when they've already released a new revision that allows the product to function as advertised.

As for the rest, shipping costs, restocking fees, etc. etc.....that's the difference in being an e-tailer vs. a company that has a physical presence (and please don't talk about their useless kiosks)....you can charge lower prices and pay for shipping because you don't have any overhead associated with being a B&M.

Anyone know if DELL would replace the A00 version for the newer version? I tried calling and they kept transferring me to different department.

Well the new one arrived. A03, not surprised one bit. Dell is so full of shit and I will NOT ever do business with them again. Both are going back today. I'll settle for a cheap 22" for now. See what the market has to offer in a year or so.

Peace.

Well the new one arrived. A03, not surprised one bit. Dell is so full of shit and I will NOT ever do business with them again. Both are going back today. I'll settle for a cheap 22" for now. See what the market has to offer in a year or so.

Peace.
Why are you so surprised it's an A03?A04 is very new and it will take a while before every new monitor is an A04.Most monitors shipped these days are going to be A03.

Why are you so surprised it's an A03?A04 is very new and it will take a while before every new monitor is an A04.Most monitors shipped these days are going to be A03.

Did you read my post?

A03, not surprised one bit

Feel free to read my above post as to why I feel Dell is full of BS.

Also, as stated by some of the other posters. They shouldn't be shipping A03s when there's a fix towork as intended from their discription. So either ship out an A03 working as advertised or ship out an A04. That's what I'm paying for.

Did you read my post?
Yes i did.But if you were "not surprised one bit" you wouldn't be angry at them..Would you buy this monitor if there wasn't a REVA04?If not then you shouldn't buy it now expecting to receive an A04 monitor, when you knew chances were you wouldnt.If you received a defective monitor, not working as expected, you should have asked for a refund, not a replacement.

And yes, DELL's products shouldn't need half a dozen revisions to work properly and as advertised.But as a consumer you know that and you make your choices.

If people want a 2407WFP A04 then they shouldn't buy this monitor now.If they decide otherwise, then they should expect a Rev A03 monitor.

Yes i did.But if you were "not surprised one bit" you wouldn't be angry at them..Would you buy this monitor if there wasn't a REVA04?If not then you shouldn't buy it now expecting to receive an A04 monitor, when you knew chances were you wouldnt.If you received a defective monitor, not working as expected, you should have asked for a refund, not a replacement.

And yes, DELL's products shouldn't need half a dozen revisions to work properly and as advertised.But as a consumer you know that and you make your choices.

If people want a 2407WFP A04 then they shouldn't buy this monitor now.If they decide otherwise, then they should expect a Rev A03 monitor.

When sales acknowledges that there is a Rev A04 and that you have to return the NEW A03 in order to recieve the NEW A04 that works as intended, one is to think that is the product that you're going to recieve. But at the end of that conversation, I basically new I wasn't going to get a A04. The surprise would have been if I got an A04. Reguardless, it's just the icing on the cake never to buy from Dell again. All reasons have been stated in my posts through out the thread.

Anyways, I just ran up to Microcenter Pc and picked up a 22" ChiMei for $269. It's no 24" but then again it's $400 cheaper, I'll live with the negatives and most likely won't even notice in 2 weeks. Monitors seem to be going through a transition anyways and all of them seems to have their quirks. I'll bank the cash I saved and see what the market has to offer in 6 months. If anything, I just bought my secondary monitor to complement a 27-30 inch.

monitors have been going through a transition ever since the LCD tech came out, i've bought three LCD's since (looking at my fourth) and they all have been very different.

I just ordered a 2407 that should be here tomorrow. It shipped from Tennessee. I'm wondering if some distribution points have the A03 and others the A04. I'd like the A04, but it's not a must-have feature for me. I'll probably end up with another 24" at some point in the future anyway and I'm sure that will be one.

So for those of you who have received A04s, where were they from?

Anyone know how long the current 10% off sale will last?

I mean, is it worth it to wait awhile, thus increasing the chances of getting an A04, but have to pay $749 for it, instead of the current $674?

It matter not,as anyone with a net connection can at any time jump on Ebay and grab stacking coupons that will do that and more as for a discount on a Dell lcd. :)

Tyr-Sog I hope you enjoy your new 22" CheMei.I couldnt wait,and ordered a 2407 yesterday morning.It should be here by Friday,if its not an A04,its no skin off my
back.I used a few coupons a friend at Dell Canada gave me,to knock the price down with a 5 Year extended advance exchange warranty,to 639.50 Cdn.if it is an A04
then great.

Wicked,those were not 'suggestions',but comments and observations on my part.

:)

I just ordered a 2407 that should be here tomorrow. It shipped from Tennessee. I'm wondering if some distribution points have the A03 and others the A04. I'd like the A04, but it's not a must-have feature for me. I'll probably end up with another 24" at some point in the future anyway and I'm sure that will be one.

I'm in the mind set as you mate, I've recently brought a dell 2407 ao3 revision and tbh I'm really not that fussed, alot of people will never even use the feature, I will be buying another one in a month or two, I would like it be ao4 just to help put a bit of extra re-sell value on it thats all though.

It matter not,as anyone with a net connection can at any time jump on Ebay and grab stacking coupons that will do that and more as for a discount on a Dell lcd. :)

Tyr-Sog I hope you enjoy your new 22" CheMei.I couldnt wait,and ordered a 2407 yesterday morning.It should be here by Friday,if its not an A04,its no skin off my
back.I used a few coupons a friend at Dell Canada gave me,to knock the price down with a 5 Year extended advance exchange warranty,to 639.50 Cdn.if it is an A04
then great.

:)

In all honesty it's going to get some getting use to. You can easily see the difference and you can easily see why there is such a huge margine in cost. They're not in the same league. Saying that, this 22" was only $269. I would have to say by far this is anyones best bang for your buck. I went cheapest becasue I will be buying big(27-30) again in the near future. But again, the difference is there and I'm still trying to calibrate it, feels like it's burning the back of my eyeballs out lol. Typical of the 22"er's.

Congrats on your 2407!

lol......Well again, in all honesty, dispite Dells service and business practices I am just going to keep the Dell. You guys are right as for it not being that big of deal. Again, for what you get and whay you pay, like the Chimei, it's the best bang for your buck when you look at it and its 24" competitors.:eek:

My eyes are just really paying the price with the Chimei for whatever reason. I adjust for games, then readjust for web, then for word and it still doesn't seem right. Where is with the Dell I leave it, no fiddeling and no strain on my eyes.

The nail in the coffen was though when my wife actually brought it up. I asked her what does she think of the Chimei, she said "it sucks". She spent about an hour typeing on it last night and developed a headach while on the pc. Not saying it was the monitor but she did also say it was hard on the eyes, the strain also gives me a slight headach.. Now let me tell you, my wife could give a rats ass about electronics and would love for me to only spend 1/3 the cost for a monitor nearly the same size. So hearing that made me say screw it, suck it up. In the end, it's only $675 and I'm just tired of this whole buying experience..

You're on the East Coast then I guess? Mine arrived last Tuesday from the TN warehouse and it was an A03 unfortunately. If I had to guess, the West Coast distribution centers will have the A04 first with the smaller East Coast distribution centers receiving updated stock later. That's how most West Coast e-tailers work anyways, although Dell is based in TX. My A03 was made in Mexico, the A04 in some screens I saw was made in China. Anyways, good luck on getting the A04.

lol......Well again, in all honesty, dispite Dells service and business practices I am just going to keep the Dell. You guys are right as for it not being that big of deal. Again, for what you get and whay you pay, like the Chimei, it's the best bang for your buck when you look at it and its 24" competitors.:eek:

My eyes are just really paying the price with the Chimei for whatever reason. I adjust for games, then readjust for web, then for word and it still doesn't seem right. Where is with the Dell I leave it, no fiddeling and no strain on my eyes.

The nail in the coffen was though when my wife actually brought it up. I asked her what does she think of the Chimei, she said "it sucks". She spent about an hour typeing on it last night and developed a headach while on the pc. Not saying it was the monitor but she did also say it was hard on the eyes, the strain also gives me a slight headach.. Now let me tell you, my wife could give a rats ass about electronics and would love for me to only spend 1/3 the cost for a monitor nearly the same size. So hearing that made me say screw it, suck it up. In the end, it's only $675 and I'm just tired of this whole buying experience..

lol ya thats what I ended up doing. I had the absolute luxury of being able to compare the 22" and the 24" side by side, and there really is no comparison. All the flaws I found with the 22" just became absolutely unbearable after seeing the 24" (I decided to return the 22" because of a flickering issue though). I'm just really enjoying this 24" and except for the no 1:1 aspect and a slight red banding when I scroll web pages quickly, I have no complaints. That dread I had last week about not getting an A04 is all but gone, and certainly outweighs the dread of having to navigate Dell's CS gauntlet to return my 2407. Chances are, I'll probably still end up with an A03, I'll just be $25 or so lighter in the wallet because of shipping with a high probability of not being able to apply my 10% coupon.

I'm in Washington, DC and I ended up with an A03. No big deal. What does suck is the lack of a DVI cable in the box. VGA looks pretty crappy on this thing, especially with text. Well, that will be rectified soon enough...

Brian

Looks like we have a comedian here. :rolleyes:

Back to topic. Did anyone try exchanging their A03/2/1 for an A04 from Dell? I tried but they gave me the run-a-round as usual.

Back to topic. Did anyone try exchanging their A03/2/1 for an A04 from Dell? I tried but they gave me the run-a-round as usual.

Yes. I'm not sure if you read my posts but I went as far as returning the new A03 and ordering a new one as advised by Dells customer service(Canada I believe). Only to be told I will be getting the latest revision by Dell sales and recieving an A03(which I figured). Was worth a try, I'm exhausted though and throwing in the towel, they win.

I'm in Washington, DC and I ended up with an A03. No big deal. What does suck is the lack of a DVI cable in the box. VGA looks pretty crappy on this thing, especially with text. Well, that will be rectified soon enough...

Brian

It should have come with a DVI cable...

I have never been called a comedian before :D I made the posts in response to different questions and comments,so of course the context of my own statements varied from post to post.

I'm in Washington, DC and I ended up with an A03. No big deal. What does suck is the lack of a DVI cable in the box. VGA looks pretty crappy on this thing, especially with text. Well, that will be rectified soon enough...Brian

Email Dell or phone them as all dell 20" + LCD's do come with a dvi and a vga cable.

Received mine today and its a revision A03.

I have managed to get the 360 working correctly on 1080p, althouhg it is not 1:1 this doesnt really bother me as the image doesnt look overley stretched.
I was wondering though if anybody nows how to save the display settings. The UI is really clunky, and i find it a chore having to reduce the sharpness everytime i swtich to vga with the 360 in order to get rid of the striping issue seen when 1080p is used.

So does anybody know how i can just set the sharpness to 30 and have the monitor remember this?

Ta thanks.

For the Europeans here. On ebay you can get the A04 revision for 739 euros. This includes dell warranty and dead pixel warranty. The seller is supradictus. They ship everywhere in Europe I believe.

For the Europeans here. On ebay you can get the A04 revision for 739 euros. This includes dell warranty and dead pixel warranty. The seller is supradictus. They ship everywhere in Europe I believe.

What is the A03b revision? I only see it mentioned on the german sellers on eBay, and when you google Dell A03b you get a lot of german sites...

What is the A03b revision? I only see it mentioned on the german sellers on eBay, and when you google Dell A03b you get a lot of german sites...

The price you mean ? For A03b you have to pay 699 euros. As far as i'v seen there are only german and dutch adds for the 2407 but it does say they ship everywhere in the EU.
I've just ordered one. Don't have a clue how ebay works tho :p

I have never been called a comedian before :D I made the posts in response to different questions and comments,so of course the context of my own statements varied from post to post.

Email Dell or phone them as all dell 20" + LCD's do come with a dvi and a vga cable.

It turns out the DVI cable fell out while I was unpacking it. So yes, I have a DVI cable. It's not dual-link though, which is unfortunate. I'm surprised I didn't need a dual-link card for this thing.

Despite being A03, this monitor is great. No dead pixels, no backlight problems, etc. The only bad thing is that I'm already used to the size!! Well, maybe there's a 30" in my future.

Anybody tried a cable box hooked up to the A03 or A04 revisions via DVI and component?

Could someone please try it if not and report back how it looks

Greg

Ordered my 2407 on Tuesday, was shipped from the TN warehouse. Arrived Friday, and was a A03.

Back