Dell 2407WFP Rev A04 Spotted.

So they confirmed that they could get you a A04 then?

As far as what to do. I dunno. I think you went through all the steps reaching by management. Only thing there is to do is threaten you will return knowing there's a 15% and you're just going to return and nver buy Dell again.

Yes. They confirmed that there was an A04 out there for me to upgrade too. I will continue hounding them on the fact that it is 21 days since I received the product in my hands and feel that it is fair for them to accept the return. I don't think I am asking too much honestly.

We'll see. Still waiting on them to return my call. Grrr...

Daines1

Ok, well I called. I'm under the 21 days but this is how I have to go about doing it.

Dell is emailing me return slips for the A03. I have to return the A03 as a return, not an exchange and order a A04 as new.

I guess the reason being you can't exchange for a newer model while exchanging new for new. I guess it's different if youwere going from an A01-03 to a 04 and getting a refurb for a used. Whatever....

Now, do I? I have no dead pixels, no backbleed and the streaching really doesn't bother me. But then again, I should get a product as advertised.

So if you order now it will be an A04? Like how would you know you are getting an A04 otherwise?

Well I ordered it lol.

Main reason is I came across a %15 coupon and they honored it. So it came out to $636 instead of the $674. So if anythng I just got this monitor cheaper. Second she said I would be getting the latest revision. I had her reconfirm 2 more times that it was the A04, she agreed that I would get the "latest model" but tbh she didn't seem like she knew what the hell I was talking about. The second time I asked her about it though she did put me on hold for 5 minutes. Then came back and said that whoever she asked said I would be getting a "faster" display. I'm like what do you mean "faster". She went on about response times???? I was like no, "that's not my issue". Then I just dropped it.. So I won;t be surprised if I get an Ao3.

We shall see.

was that coupon a personal one or was it a universal one? if it's the latter shoot it my way :D

Personal I believe, came with my Dell preferred papers after I recieved my orginal monitor.

I am happy to report that after a heck of a lot of talking and 3 representatives later, I was given permission to return my A03 for a full refund. I will be paying for the shipping but that is definitely better than 15%.

I will miss my pretty monitor as I wait for my CC to be refunded so I can order it again, but such is life. Getting good component/composite video and true 16:9 ratio (1:1) will be worth it. Back to my 19" LCD until then.

Whew, I was worried about that one.

Daines1

Are you worried about getting a A03 again?

Like I said earlier, I originally ordered the 2407 on Jan 8th. Exchanged the first one and recieved a new one on the 17th. Both A03, which makes sense if you can only switch new for new.

I'm wondering though how new the A04 are. If I ordered on the 8th, they must be extremely new.

I still will be suprised if I get a A04 :eek:

From what I understand (and I clarified with the Dell rep 2 times), I am sending my monitor in for a full refund. CC gets refunded. From that point, I will reorder the Dell 24" over the phone. I will verify and specifically ask to get the A04.

We'll see how that goes. Packing it up as we speak. < sniffle >

Daines

So what is the cutoff on dell returns?
I got an A03 that was ordered on Jan 5-2007
I have a really good one so I am wondering how the A04 would help.
I want to use it for HDTV
I am using HDTV with ATI OTA HD card now and it works great with the nvidia 7900GS

Any comments on what i should do?

I asked two Dell reps,one a friend,and both told me to wait to make my purchase,if I want to be garunteed an A04.I am going to wait until about the first week of March.

gregnauman,you might want to keep your current unit,if you are happy with,which you say you are.The cutoff is 21 days from receiving the lcd as far as I know.1600x1200 would have better aspect control,as well,1080i/p is supposed to have better support in the A04

I asked two Dell reps,one a friend,and both told me to wait to make my purchase,if I want to be garunteed an A04.I am going to wait until about the first week of March.

Yeah, if you wait you will be almost guaranteed one. But if you buy now, you should be guaranteed one, no?

Just call them up and say you need 1:1 pixel mapping on 1600x1200 and also 1080p content because the monitor is not displaying the image "correctly" and as you understand it, the A04 fixes this problem.

I don't know how Dell in the US works, but in Australia they will allow that and will give you a case number so you can call back when the A04 is definitely in stock and shipping. Just make sure you call within the 21 days so you can get a refund, if they refuse a replacement for whatever reason.

Yeah, if you wait you will be almost guaranteed one. But if you buy now, you should be guaranteed one, no?

No,you wont,as I was told by one reliable source (Dell rep who is a close friend) and another semi kinda reliable source (Dell Rep) on the phone this morning,that waiting
is the best thing,unless I want to spend allot of time on the phone in the coming weeks,packing and unpacking new units,and keep sending them back until that
currently elusive A04 is a sure thing.

I persoanlly want to reduce my time wasted,and the headache/hassle of the many,many,phone calls I know will be necessary. :D Besides whats a few extra weeks ?

Well today is my 21 days. Should I call them or stay A03.
I really am wanting this monitor to not only work with my 7900gs but to be able to possibly plug a cable box or satellite box direct into the monitor to use for HDTV in my bedroom eventually.

Right now through my 7900gs card I am getting true HD with an ATI over the air HDTV card. So I am happy with that respect.
I am just concerned I will not be able to plug anything in directly and have a good HDTV image.

Any input on this? Also What is the benefit of the 1:1 abilities on the monitor. Right now When I use 1920 x 1080 on my display through the nvidia 7900gs I get great unstretched HDTV, but if I cannot get the new HDTV cable card coming out for Vista then I want to be able to plug HD devices directly into the display for watching TV in the bedroom.

Thanks

Greg

I persoanlly want to reduce my time wasted,and the headache/hassle of the many,many,phone calls I know will be necessary. :D Besides whats a few extra weeks ?

True, but what about those that can't stand the wait? :p

Well today is my 21 days. Should I call them or stay A03.

Call them up, definitely. Make sure you get a case number for the issue of 1:1 mapping, don't ask for a replacement to be sent yet as it won't be the A04.

Call back later, when you know the A04 is shipping, and tell them about your past call and case number. They will then review the case and realise that the technicians have given you the go ahead for a replacement and so you will be able to get a replacement after 21 days pretty much hassle free.

That's the way it works in Australia at least, and we only have 15 days, not 21 :(.

No,you wont,as I was told by one reliable source (Dell rep who is a close friend) and another semi kinda reliable source (Dell Rep) on the phone this morning,that waiting
is the best thing,unless I want to spend allot of time on the phone in the coming weeks,packing and unpacking new units,and keep sending them back until that
currently elusive A04 is a sure thing.

Yea, but if you're hoovering around the 21 day mark is it not better just to return and get new? I'd personally just would rather exchange new for new and not my new one for a refurbish one. It ias a hasstle for sure but I don't care for refurbs the least bit.

This whole monitor buying experince since Christmas has been nothing but a nightmare lol. Defects, monitors not working as advertised, etc..:( Overall I have liked the Dell the best though.

But like I said, although I was promised the "latest" revision, I never did get out of the reps mouth is would be a A04. Again, I'd be totally surprised if it was...

Greg,

I wish I could answer those questions for you. My thought would be that whatever you can do on the A03, you should be able to do it on the A04. Please make sure that it is 21 days since shipped or you will have a hella time finding a rep who will allow you to return it. I'm honestly still skeptical that all my hard work has paid off. I'll believe it when I see it kind of thing.

Like you, I want to use my Monitor as a TV/Gaming/PC experience. I want something that will make my Xbox/PS2 look decent at least and the A03 did not give me that at all. I hope the A04 will resolve it to some extent.

In regards to having sound while playing with your monitor, how do you all do it? I was wondering if the speakers that come with the monitor allow you to input the sound from the PS2/Xbox cables. Or will I have to find some other way to play sound? Luckily I have a creative XFI platinum card that has audio in that I have used in the past. It was ok, but I don't want to rely on having a PC hooked up to it full time.

Any ideas?

Daines1

Yea, like you guys this will be not only my pc monitor but also the second tv in my house. So although as a monitor it is serving me fine, when I do go to do the multimedia things, I'd like it to work as advertised. As it was part of the reason for my decision in paying the premium for the 24" over the 22".

Reguardless although I do have the hasstle of returning this monitor, if the new one is in fact a A03, at least I got it with the 15&#37; off. I'll just be bummed if the new one has bad pixels, backbleed or even a crooked stand. All which my first one exhibited, this second one doesn't.

Also, although I requested a return and recieved my UPS return lable via email. Do I have more time then the 21 days? The UPS lable says it's good for 10days. If not can I ship out on the 21st day or will that void the 21 day policy?

From my understanding, as long as you have contacted Dell and gotten a Authorization number for your return you are good. Just don't sit on it for days after getting that number. I got confirmation yesterday and I will ship it today.

Daines1

Yea, but I dont have a backup monitor :( :D

I was really hopeing to be able to compare the 2 also, just in case they are both A03.

Maybe I should just get the 27" lol

Ugh, looks like a lot of people are having trouble with this decision. Dell's clunky maze of Customer Support does take its toll on you to the point you'll settle for a lesser display I guess.

But ya, I'm having trouble with this decision because 1) They probably won't cross-ship me a replacement, so in the meantime I'm suck with my 19" 2) They'll probably charge me return shipping on the 24" (cost me $20 to ship the 22" back already) 3) Even if they do replace my A03 and send me a new unit, I doubt there's any way they can guarantee it'll be an A04 4) I've already got a recent CS call to return the 22", so I don't want to get flagged in their system.

To complicate matters, I'm not even sure I'll ever use the 1:1 pixel mapping that comes with the A04. I don't have a PS3 or Xbox360, nor do I have any plans to get one in the near future. I don't have an HD Cable Box (I run coax through a tuner card atm) but its something I was looking into getting. Right now the 8800 drivers apparently don't allow you to do 1:1 through the drivers, but I expect that to be fixed in the near future. The only game I really run right now allows me to run 1920x1200 with no problems though.

My A03 is perfect though, no dead pixels, no backlight problems, no hot spots on the panel etc......I'm just not 100% satisfied with my purchase simply because I know there's that A04 out there that does 1:1..... :mad:

If you don't need 1:1, then why aren't your 100% satisfied with your A03? There will ALWAYS be revision and updates to monitors and other hardware, so if you dwell on new features coming out in the future, you might as well be worrying about the 3D graphics on the A07 of this monitor (just kidding, but you get the point).

Ya, the thing is though that not having 1:1 may become a problem in the future if/when I get a PS3 or XBox360. Also, getting an HD box for my room will only cost me another $5 a month or so, and that was something I was definitely planning to do with this monitor. At that point I'll be out of the 21 day window and any hassle trying to return today will become exponentially greater at that point. I do expect the 8800 series drivers to be fixed though so 1:1 shouldn't be a problem for me in future games, its just the potential of anything else down the line not supporting true 1:1.

I guess I'm struggling with "taking advantage of the system", but at the same time there's that uneasy feeling of not getting my money's worth knowing Dell is essentially selling old products as new, when they're not.

I'm not one to talk to regarding taking advantage of a system per say. I'm the person who will go to Best Buy, buy a hardware product (PSU, Videocard, Soundcard) and if I don't like it I will return it. I know it isn't the best practice, but I cannot stand buying an expensive item only to have it not resolve or be and upgrade to the problem I am having. My wife gets so mad at me when I do it because she may feel the same thing you do about it.

That being said... if you don't have any spare monitor at all (no CRT?) then a possibility (not saying I approve of the action) would be to pick one up from BB or CC for the time being because they have a 14 day return policy. Ouch. I know I know. Bad idea, but still possible. A better solution would be to bum one off a friend. I know that I personally have a back up monitor so maybe you could find someone that has does the same.

If you are not happy with your monitor and want the latest and greatest return it now. Don't wait until the 21st day. I almost got really burned by doing it that way and I would hate to see you go through the same thing. If you have a loaner for time being, wait just a bit more to make sure you get the right revision. Good luck with whatever you do.

Any idea on the Dell Speaker inputs? How do you all get sound with your monitors?

Daines1

P.S. I recently had my Wireless USB card plugged into my monitor. I newsgroup a bit and every time I really started downloading anything, all the USB ports on my system would crash and stop working. I finally figured out that pushing all that data through my monitor down a USB connection to my PC was a really stupid idea. I hooked the USB wireless card to my USB on my PC and all was good. Just to save someone a headache.

I'm not one to talk to regarding taking advantage of a system per say. I'm the person who will go to Best Buy, buy a hardware product (PSU, Videocard, Soundcard) and if I don't like it I will return it. I know it isn't the best practice, but I cannot stand buying an expensive item only to have it not resolve or be and upgrade to the problem I am having. My wife gets so mad at me when I do it because she may feel the same thing you do about it.

I do understand you point of view....but like EB's formerly great return policy,if more and more people do this sort of thing,and worse yet advertise the idea on the net,the sooner places like BB/CC/Future Shop/Costco.etc.stop it all together. :(

Abusing the system,which is what you seem to be suggesting is plain wrong,and will
come back to bite us all on the collective ass in the end ! As it did with EB.

Manny,

Like I said, that wasn't the best idea in the world. There were many reasons EB's return policy was changed. It was being abused so yes they changed it. It also didn't help that Gamestop bought them out. A lot of EB's procedures changed at that point.

If you purchase something from somewhere at it does not function as intended OR does not work in your system then I think that is a valid reason to return something. If you purchase something as a loner, that is wrong and should not be done. But flaming was not the purpose of this post.

So here's the question: A04 was released some time in December. Some say they have received them in the middle of January. If I ordered mine December 31st and there was a newer revision available that they did not send me, am I in the right to ask for a full refund if I'm within my 21 days so I can then purchase the A04 when they start shipping it? It's not like I am asking for something for free. It is the same monitor with a feature that should have been in the A03 in the first place. The monitor displaying in 16:10 instead of 16:9 was a bug or glitch right? My wife likened it to a car. If you buy a 2006 and they then release a 2007 you can't just go trading it in because it has new bells and whistles. I agree with her, but the car does not have a 21 day return policy either. If it did, would that make it wrong?

Good points all. Good luck with your monitor chizow. I hope you get what you want. @ $700+ is a lot of money to spend. Just ask my wife!

Daines

Ya, I guess I'm just a bit upset that Dell is shipping out different panels with different capabilities knowing 90&#37; of the poor bastards out there will never know the difference. At the same time, I know that these types of returns/CS calls directly impact retail prices and revisions in return/service policy. Plus there's the hassle of it all. Are you guys getting replacements cross-shipped? Or are they doing the return/new purchase route? I already have $1000 less in my bank account tied up in LCD panels, so being out another $640 or so for a month or two isn't exactly a fun prospect.

On the other hand, I know companies build these kind of losses into their retail price and offer warranties and satisfaction policies for a reason. Yesterday, for the first time I can remember, I actually called in about a warranty. My MX700 mouse which has served me well for 3 years recently started acting funny, the 2 main buttons becoming unresponsive/inaccurate. Called in to Logitech and this great CSR Bill talked with me for a bit and by the end of the conversation, authorized a brand spanking new MX Revolution. I've always loved Logitech products and own at least a dozen of them. I've never used one to the point of needing to RMA because I'd simply replace it with the next Logitech product before my current one broke. That great service and peace of mind will keep me buying Logitech in the future, even though I technically got a "freebie" this time around.

I'll probably ponder over it a few more days and maybe call in to Dell to see what my options are.

Like I said, that wasn't the best idea in the world. There were many reasons EB's return policy was changed. It was being abused so yes they changed it. It also didn't help that Gamestop bought them out. A lot of EB's procedures changed at that point.

Understood :) Yes,things changed after the buyout.

If you purchase something from somewhere at it does not function as intended OR does not work in your system then I think that is a valid reason to return something. If you purchase something as a loner, that is wrong and should not be done. But flaming was not the purpose of this post.

Glad we agree,and I too was not trying to flame you :)

So here's the question: A04 was released some time in December. Some say they have received them in the middle of January. If I ordered mine December 31st and there was a newer revision available that they did not send me, am I in the right to ask for a full refund if I'm within my 21 days so I can then purchase the A04 when they start shipping it? It's not like I am asking for something for free. It is the same monitor with a feature that should have been in the A03 in the first place. The monitor displaying in 16:10 instead of 16:9 was a bug or glitch right? My wife likened it to a car. If you buy a 2006 and they then release a 2007 you can't just go trading it in because it has new bells and whistles. I agree with her, but the car does not have a 21 day return policy either. If it did, would that make it wrong?

I think that within the first 21 days you are within your rights to do a return,yes.If the
product does not meet the advertised specs,or is defective or doa,etc.

Good points all. Good luck with your monitor chizow. I hope you get what you want. @ $700+ is a lot of money to spend. Just ask my wife!

Thanks,I hope your search for the perfect screen is productive as well.I too am in the same boat,of having to ok large purchases with my wife :)

If I was past my 21 days I'd just keep the one I have for sure. But since i'm not, might as well try for an A04. Especially becaue like mentioned above, I will be using it for what it's being advertised for. Full 1:1 support for the 360, tv, movies, yada, yada, yada.

If I don't get a a04 I may just return the 24" and get one of the cheapest 22". Most likely the samsung. See where monitors are at from a year from now. Maybe we can get more for our money and bug free.

Ya, I guess I'm just a bit upset that Dell is shipping out different panels with different capabilities knowing 90% of the poor bastards out there will never know the difference. At the same time, I know that these types of returns/CS calls directly impact retail prices and revisions in return/service policy. Plus there's the hassle of it all. Are you guys getting replacements cross-shipped? Or are they doing the return/new purchase route? I already have $1000 less in my bank account tied up in LCD panels, so being out another $640 or so for a month or two isn't exactly a fun prospect.

On the other hand, I know companies build these kind of losses into their retail price and offer warranties and satisfaction policies for a reason. Yesterday, for the first time I can remember, I actually called in about a warranty. My MX700 mouse which has served me well for 3 years recently started acting funny, the 2 main buttons becoming unresponsive/inaccurate. Called in to Logitech and this great CSR Bill talked with me for a bit and by the end of the conversation, authorized a brand spanking new MX Revolution. I've always loved Logitech products and own at least a dozen of them. I've never used one to the point of needing to RMA because I'd simply replace it with the next Logitech product before my current one broke. That great service and peace of mind will keep me buying Logitech in the future, even though I technically got a "freebie" this time around.

I'll probably ponder over it a few more days and maybe call in to Dell to see what my options are.

I was able to return it for full refund. When I am confident I can get the A04 shipped, I'll then reorder it from Dell. If I am able to get a verbal agreement via Phone order I may purchase it sooner. That's the route I am taking because 1:1 is going to make a difference today and also in the future.

I <3 logitech. I have never been so happy with a company before in my life. About a year ago I purchased the MX1000 mouse from some retail store. I love it. Last month the right mouse button became unreliable and I called Logitech Tech Support. I told them what problem I was having and they said that they were shipping me a new one. I asked how they wanted me to return the mouse and they said not to worry about it. Free of charge replacement. I was really impressed and will continue to purchase Logitech products.

Looks like I am going to have to run the audio through a stereo (which I don't have) or my PC's audio in. Better than nothing.

Daines

Ah ok. Ya, see I don't know if I can live with going back to my dull old 1900FP after experiencing the 22" and then the 24" WFPs...... But ya, right now its just a big crapshoot in terms of what revision you'll get. Dell should seriously ship the entire lot back to China or Mexico and have all the A03s upgraded to A04 instead of hoping no one notices their 16:9 aspect media is being stretched and distorted. I mean seriously, its most likely a firmware or slight hardware modification right?

As for your sound question, I don't use the attached speakers, and I think most others probably don't either. You're better off using your LCD as a dedicated video output and getting yourself a nice dedicated sound solution. An A/V receiver or even a nice PC surround set has the necessary inputs for you to fully take advantage of the various inputs/media types you plan to use with your LCD. Anything less would seem unbalanced imo. Great visuals but mediocre sound. A dedicated A/V receiver would would allow you to feed in digital signals from the source and output in DTS/DD etc. etc. I just used my older DD5.1/DTS receiver and it did everything I needed at the time. XBox through the optical, PC gaming from my SB Audigy2 through the analog, DVD movies from my Audigy 2 through the coax. Even if you were to run everything through your sound card, you might end up spending a lot more on a card that's capable of taking the various inputs (most are the platinum/+ versions and have a 5.25" bay for inputs).

Well I ordered it lol.

Main reason is I came across a %15 coupon and they honored it. So it came out to $636 instead of the $674.

We shall see.

Ok, well thinking about this, 15% is a $101 off of $674. I didn't get 15% off lol. It would have been $573. Doh, to concerned about the A04 I guess to ahve caught that.

So I called to get a price adjustment and Dell said they couldn't do it because the monitor shipped. I was like, well whats the diffeence, just do a price adjustment. She wouldn't do it lol.

so wait, if the nvidia drivers start supporting it then it doesnt matter if the monitor supports it right? or do both need to have support for 1:1?

If your driver/card/game support 1:1 then ya, you don't need to worry about this but if you use the component or VGA inputs from external sources (HDTV box/tuner, DVD, Xbox360, PS3, etc.), you need 1:1 or the monitor will stretch the image or "fill" the rest of your panel. 1:1 from a 16:9 source for instance would have 2 black bars of 60 lines each at the top and bottom so that the image from your external device is displayed as it should be.

yeah but so if you use say, DVI, and once nvidia has 1:1 support (i guess it doesnt yet?) in its own drivers then as long as you arent using a VGA or other source then it wont matter at all? (especially if you play DVD's from your computers dvd drive).

Ok, well thinking about this, 15% is a $101 off of $674. I didn't get 15% off lol. It would have been $573. Doh, to concerned about the A04 I guess to ahve caught that.

So I called to get a price adjustment and Dell said they couldn't do it because the monitor shipped. I was like, well whats the diffeence, just do a price adjustment. She wouldn't do it lol.
Are you sure the coupon was stackable with the original discount? It seems they took 15% off of the retail price of $750, not the current sale price of $675 which already has a 10% discount. Check the fine print -- if it says it should stack with existing discounts, then you should complain, but it probably says that it will replace any existing discount.

Are you sure the coupon was stackable with the original discount? It seems they took 15&#37; off of the retail price of $750, not the current sale price of $675 which already has a 10% discount. Check the fine print -- if it says it should stack with existing discounts, then you should complain, but it probably says that it will replace any existing discount.

Yes, 100% positive as it says on the back of my coupon.

"Coupon code is required and can be combined with other offers and discounts, but not other coupons. "

Not to mention that orginally she said it couldn't then put me on hold. When she put me on hold I read the back of the coupon and seen that. I was going to mention it to the Dell rep but before I could she acknowledge that it could infact be stacked and I would recieve an additional 15% off the price of $674..

I

Well It's a good thing I did order a new one. The component inputs have failed on this one. Tried booting up the 360 to watch a movie and no signal. Unplugged and replugged everything back in, still no signal. No pip signal. I tried the VGA port and the 360 worked.

Back