Dell 2407WFP Rev A04 Spotted.

BookerHD

n00b
Hi guys,

Was browsing one of the forums when I happened to stumble across a post which stated that he has got a Rev04 2407.

Anyone who bought this monitor recently received an A04 too?

:confused:

Check this out
On a seperate note, I checked and my new one is rev A04 and manufactured in Dec 06. I don't know what is new in this revision and running CheckMON on both side by side also produced identical images. The only slight difference is the LCD panel of the A04 looks more "matte" when turned off compared to the A03 which looks more dark and polished. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?p=22044319#post22043672

Cheers. :)

I just recieved mine last week, then I exchanged it. The new one came yesterday. Both are A03.

this is only for 2407 though right? this doesnt mean that the 2007WFP isnt going to get an A04 (unless they are revising it to be only S-IPS from now on out).

mine is a REV A02
does that make mine no good?
what does it matter with the REV though?

this is only for 2407 though right? this doesnt mean that the 2007WFP isnt going to get an A04 (unless they are revising it to be only S-IPS from now on out).

I don't think A04 for the 2407 will mean anything for the 2007's, but I'm sure if it does we'll be hearing about it soon. :)

i just thought since the AO's seemed to be moving together (since they're both on A03 at the moment).

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=179&t=250187&last=2213234

I found that which seems to be of someone directly comparing the A03 and A04. The only problem is Babelfish turns out a spotty translation at best and i can't seem to find out how to register to take a look at the pictures he put up.

Can anyone read Japanese or translate that for us? I would like to know the difference between the A03 and A04 :)

Thanks!

Btw, that's traditional chinese, not japanese. :)

I'll try to post up some pictures from that thread asap.

Hang on.

I've read through the thread.

Here're some interesting things to note:

27. 但在色差端子 1080i 模式 可以調成Aspect 和 1:1 mode。
(Using Component input, 1:1 is achieveble in 1080i mode)
275ex.jpg

28. 色差端子 1080i 模式的顯示資訊, 在色差端子 1080i 模式時, 影像感覺比較模糊...不像1080p的銳利
(Using component, 1080i looks blur/fuzzy compared to 1080p)
283kd.jpg

30. Dell 2407WFP A04, 2007.1.19入手:
(The A04 received)
3015rm.jpg

3020gj.jpg

A00 - V1B11, LTM240M2
A00+ Interim update - V1B15, LTM240LM2
A01 - V1B15, LTM240L2
A02 - V1B15, LTM240L2
A03 - V1B20, HN208 (I believe there's a HN213 here too)
A04 - V1B29, HN208L6

30. Dell 2407WFP A04可以在Xbox 360 VGA 1080p 時調整成Aspect 和 1:1 mode, 在A03版本則是不行的:
(Using the VGA ouput of the xbox360, the A04 is able to do 1:1 in 1080p mode, unlike the A03.)
3035ug.jpg

31. 但我在玩Xbox 360 世界環繞賽車3時, 發現Aspect 和 1:1 mode都會將有些畫面切成兩半, 雖然實際跑車時沒這問題, 但就怪怪的(這問題只要將2407WFP 重新開機就能解決了!)。
(I'm not sure what this sentence means, but AFAIK, it says something about the screen being split into half??? And turning it off and on would solve the problem?? Weird yeah?)
Xbox 360 世界環繞賽車3 VGA 1920x1080 1:1 mode
315qa.jpg

32. Dell 2407WFP A04可以在PS3 HDMI 1080p 時調整成Aspect 和 1:1 mode, 在A03版本則是不行的。(Using the PS3's HDMI output, 1080p mode, 1:1 option is possible, unlike the a03) 所以Dell 2407WFP A04不管是在VGA或DVI輸入1080p的訊號, 都可以使用Aspect 和 1:1 mode 。(Thus, with the 2407 A04, when used with 1080p mode, 1:1 is possible whether the VGA or DVI input is used)

3217jm.jpg

3229pt.jpg

3231av.jpg

3246ue.jpg

3259nr.jpg

3264pd.jpg

33. 雖然PS3 HDMI 1080p可以調成Aspect 和 1:1 mode, 但卻有以下明顯的問題:『快速移動切換之影像會呈現切成一半』。(Although 1:1 mode is achievable under 1080p mode, the picture is being split into half (PS.refer to pics below)) Fill mode沒有這問題。(This phenomenon doesn't happen when Fill mode is being used.) 而且不管是VGA或DVI, 只要使用1080p調成Aspect 和 1:1 mode, 這問題就會出現。(This phenomenon happens to both VGA and DVI connections, when 1080p mode, coupled with 1:1 AR.) (這問題只要將2407WFP 重新開機就能解決了!) (Turning it off and on would solve the problem.)

3317xc.jpg

3327ze.jpg

3337dw.jpg

34. 反而在Fill mode都沒有這種問題, 而且跟我朋友觀看後的感覺, Fill mode跟1:1 mode並沒有太大差別, 而且 1:1 mode的邊框看起來非常礙眼! Fill mode沒有這問題。(Aspect 和 1:1 mode發生此這問題時, 只要將2407WFP 重新開機就能解決了!)

BD黑鷹計畫 Fill mode (Using Fill mode instead of 1:1. Note that there is no tearing/image splitting of any sort.)
3411ft.jpg

3423ns.jpg

That's all folks. :D

Thanks for the legwork, BookerHD. But it's still very disheartening indeed. It's almost been a year since the screen was released and Dell still can't get 1080p right?!

Anyway, is this new revision available to owners of A03/2/1 displays free of charge?

Thanks soo much booker!

I can live with turning it off and on again if we can get 1:1 :D. Now, to see about getting those replacements... :D

Thanks for the legwork, BookerHD. But it's still very disheartening indeed. It's almost been a year since the screen was released and Dell still can't get 1080p right?!

Anyway, is this new revision available to owners of A03/2/1 displays free of charge?
Welcome!

And yeah, it's a shame that it's been almost a year and funny things like these still happen. But from what I gathered from the chinese forums, turning it off and back on would resolve the image splitting problems for the 1080p 1:1 mode.

I think it's time to ring up DELL for a replacement. They should replace the A01-03 for free right, considering the amount of problems that plagued the Rev A00-A03s.

Thanks soo much booker!

I can live with turning it off and on again if we can get 1:1 :D. Now, to see about getting those replacements... :D

Welcome! :D

Now, the tedious part is about getting those damn replacements. :p

I think it's time to ring up DELL for a replacement. They should replace the A01-03 for free right, considering the amount of problems that plagued the Rev A00-A03s.

Yeah, it should be for free - i know it is for sure in Australia at least.

Just tell them you've been trying to play your xbox 360 and PS3 through component and DVI but you can't get 1:1 to work and on some games you can get 1:1 to work with 1600x1200. They might not have A04 service stock yet so you might have to get a brand new replacement ;)

great.. I have 2 to exchange then. I've only had them about a month and bought them mostly for all the inputs. I can never get 1:1 to work with any of my game systems or my computer...

Welcome! :D

Now, the tedious part is about getting those damn replacements. :p

I just talked to 'Roy' a childhood friend who works for Dell here in Ottawa and he told me the A04's have only been shipping for a few weeks now.I am going for the 2407 now for sure !
As it'll do 16x12 with proper aspects now and has better 1080p support. :)

was this issue that is fixed in A04 present in dells other widescreen monitors, or was it only the 2407 that needed this fix?

also did you ever ask your friend roy about the 2007wfp lottery?

I wouldn't jump just yet as of the middle of last week A03 were still shipping out. In the States at least.

Ok, being I just bought this monitor and half the reason I bought this monitor is to play the 360 on it. Should I exchange it. If I do can I ask for a A04? Will I get a new one being I have a new purchase?

was this issue that is fixed in A04 present in dells other widescreen monitors, or was it only the 2407 that needed this fix?

also did you ever ask your friend roy about the 2007wfp lottery?

I have never asked him about the 2007,I only asked about the 2407.I am only in the market for a 24"+ LCD.I imagine he is aware of the infamous Dell 'Lottery' but I cant
be sure :) If people here want to risk a 'new' lottery with Dell in the hope of swapping for a A04 now,I would suggest waiting,as they have only just been released.I could
buy in now,as of yesterday I can now finally afford to snap up a 2407.Still I plan on waiting another 3 to 4 weeks until its known these are shipping out in higher quantities.

A04 will probably come out next month along with all the other new big displays. With the problems fixed I put the 2407WFP back on my list of possible displays to buy :)

No image stretching. So 1600x1200 would mean exactly 1600x1200 physical pixels of display. The image isn't stretched to fit the entire display.

This means if you are feeding a 16:9 video source into the monitor, it will put black bars on the left and right, instead of stretching your video source to 16:10 (regular monitor aspect).

Also, if you have a nice hi-def video source inputting into the monitor, it wont scale the source to fill the monitor at all, keeping your HD quality (at its best image).

This means if you are feeding a 16:9 video source into the monitor, it will put black bars on the left and right, instead of stretching your video source to 16:10 (regular monitor aspect).

Also, if you have a nice hi-def video source inputting into the monitor, it wont scale the source to fill the monitor at all, keeping your HD quality (at its best image).

wouldnt it be black bars on the top and bottom for that?

i'm not exactly sure about the last par you said by scaling it do you mean resolution setting or just the image?

also, i could swear that if you set a monitor to a non-wide resolution that it wouldnt stretch it out (otherwise doesnt seem like there'd be a point in it supporting it), but i guess not.

Honestly, I am not 100% sure. Can anyone else explain 1:1 and salvage my butchery of an explanation?

Thanks

Honestly, I am not 100% sure. Can anyone else explain 1:1 and salvage my butchery of an explanation?

Thanks
It's actually pretty simple -- I think the name itself, "1:1" is just confusing because people use it to mean different things. What we're really talking about is aspect ratio control. The monitor has a resolution of 1920 by 1200. When you display a signal that's smaller than this, you have to decide what to do with the extra space on the monitor. Aspect ratio controls usually give you three options (sometimes they have slightly different names -- you'd have to look in the Dell manual to see exactly what they're called here, as I don't have this monitor):
  • Fill/stretch mode: the image is stretched to fill the entire screen. So if you input a 1080p image (1920 by 1080), it will be stretched vertically to fill the remainder of the screen. If you input a 4:3 image, like 1600 by 1200, it will be stretched horizontally. If you input an image that is smaller both vertically and horizontally (e.g. 1280 by 720), it will be stretched in both directions.
  • Aspect mode: The image is stretched as much as possible without introducing distortion; that is, the aspect ratio is preserved. So if the input is 1280 by 720, it will be blown up as big as possible so that it still preserves a 16:9 ratio -- in this case, to 1920 by 1080. So the image fills up the screen as much as possible, and black bars are used where needed.
  • 1:1/original size mode: No stretching at all is used; the image takes up exactly as many pixels as given by the resolution of the input signal. So a 1280 by 720 image would appear centered on the screen with black on all sides. A really small resolution, like 640 by 480, would appear in a tiny rectangle surrounded by a lot of black.
For some resolutions, such as 1920 by 1080, 1:1 mode and aspect mode do exactly the same thing -- since the image already fills the entire width of the screen, it can't be stretched anymore without distorting it.

Given all this, I think that when most people say they want a monitor with 1:1 mapping, they really mean that at the very least they want the aspect ratio preserved, even if the image is larger than the actual resolution. The hot issue is with the PS3 and Xbox -- since these are meant for HDTVs, they always output at 16:9 resolutions, so without aspect ratio control the image will always be stretched vertically, making everything look a little taller and skinnier.

Hope this helps.

It's actually pretty simple -- I think the name itself, "1:1" is just confusing because people use it to mean different things. What we're really talking about is aspect ratio control. The monitor has a resolution of 1920 by 1200. When you display a signal that's smaller than this, you have to decide what to do with the extra space on the monitor. Aspect ratio controls usually give you three options (sometimes they have slightly different names -- you'd have to look in the Dell manual to see exactly what they're called here, as I don't have this monitor):
  • Fill/stretch mode: the image is stretched to fill the entire screen. So if you input a 1080p image (1920 by 1080), it will be stretched vertically to fill the remainder of the screen. If you input a 4:3 image, like 1600 by 1200, it will be stretched horizontally. If you input an image that is smaller both vertically and horizontally (e.g. 1280 by 720), it will be stretched in both directions.
  • Aspect mode: The image is stretched as much as possible without introducing distortion; that is, the aspect ratio is preserved. So if the input is 1280 by 720, it will be blown up as big as possible so that it still preserves a 16:9 ratio -- in this case, to 1920 by 1080. So the image fills up the screen as much as possible, and black bars are used where needed.
  • 1:1/original size mode: No stretching at all is used; the image takes up exactly as many pixels as given by the resolution of the input signal. So a 1280 by 720 image would appear centered on the screen with black on all sides. A really small resolution, like 640 by 480, would appear in a tiny rectangle surrounded by a lot of black.
For some resolutions, such as 1920 by 1080, 1:1 mode and aspect mode do exactly the same thing -- since the image already fills the entire width of the screen, it can't be stretched anymore without distorting it.

Given all this, I think that when most people say they want a monitor with 1:1 mapping, they really mean that at the very least they want the aspect ratio preserved, even if the image is larger than the actual resolution. The hot issue is with the PS3 and Xbox -- since these are meant for HDTVs, they always output at 16:9 resolutions, so without aspect ratio control the image will always be stretched vertically, making everything look a little taller and skinnier.

Hope this helps.

So why would anyone want to run an xbox or ps3 on their computer monitor....I find the black bars annoying and cant stand stretched images.

I really want to have a good PIP option that runs 1:1 on my pc monitor so that if I want to watch a basketball - football game or movie (hence the need for an hdmi) while Im working (or surfin), I can do both.

I keep askin myself why would anyone want to run an xbox or ps3 on a computer monitor...just doesnt make any sense imo.

People want to run an xbox360 or PS3 on their monitor because these systems support HD games (Lost Planet is 1080p).

A lot of people don't mind their games being distorted to 16:10, but others such as myself rather have the true picture, not anything stretched. We all lived to learn with black bars in widescreen movies, its pretty much the same thing.

so with 1:1 the LCD monitors natural resoltuion no longer matters? or is that still an issue when gaming and such (since even if it's a different widescreen resolution it wont look good)?

also, with 1:1, i know what you mean if you use a 4:3 resolution, instead of it being stretched it will be a square show-out, but what does 1:1 do again for you if you use a different widescreen resolution, anything?

also, is this feature atomatic, or is it enabled generally as 1:1 mapping on the monitors it comes on?

honestly, since i dont watch movies on my computer i'm not even sure i care.

Received Rev.A03 a few hours ago, ordered on Saturday and shipped out of the Memphis warehouse same day. Debating whether or not I should send it back since I found out the A04 is out now. :mad:

I don't really have any use for 1:1 right now though, no PS3/Xbox360, no Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player and no plans to hook up a DVD player or anything else through the component inputs. Just movies through my DVD software and PC games which run in native anyways. Should I even bother with trying to get an A04? Kinda don't want to bother with Dell CS, but I guess that's how they like it.

Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated, just wanted to give people a heads-up that the A03 is still shipping out of the Memphis warehouse (shipped to DC Metro area).

Has anybody sent in their A03 units to be exchanged for an A04 unit yet?

Would like to hear some success stories so I can brave the Dell customer support lines myself with greater courage.

I just got my A03 Jan 3, 2007. I am contacting them now and will see how painless this process will be.

Daines

I keep askin myself why would anyone want to run an xbox or ps3 on a computer monitor...just doesnt make any sense imo.

The fact that you don't get it makes no sense to me. I have an LCD TV and a 24 LCD Monitor, when my wife is watching the TV, I game on my PC monitor.

Well...

Looks like the battle has started. They are saying that they will not let me upgrade monitors unless I pay the 15% restocking fee. Since that is the case, I ask if I can return it for a full refund and then REORDER a newer version if I have too. I'm on the 21st day of my return so whew!

Until I call and they tell me that the 21 days start when ordered. WTF? I explained that I didn't even have it physically for 21 days and how could I know if I needed to return it if I didn't have the full time to test it. Secondly, if I had known the of the "once ordered" time line, I would have called them sooner. Not looking good. So I went round and round with them and I am waiting on a return phone call from their supervisor.

Any advice as to what I can say to get this resolved in a timely fashion. I should not have to pay a 15% restocking fee for the same dang equipment that is the same price. Any advice is welcomed.

Daines1

Back