Dell 2407WFP Rev A04 Spotted.

It turns out the DVI cable fell out while I was unpacking it. So yes, I have a DVI cable. It's not dual-link though, which is unfortunate. I'm surprised I didn't need a dual-link card for this thing.
Why is it unfortunate? The resolution/color-depth of the 2407 only uses single-link, so even if they gave you a dual-link cable the extra bandwidth would be completely wasted.

I stopped buying from Dell a couple of years ago because I had a terrible customer service issue and took a long, long time to fix.

Its too bad CS is still - bad. Even though their monitors are tempting, they are really not set up to service individuals. No matter how they say they are focused on the consumer market, they really need to set up a separate division to service us better.

They should really be selling these A03s to businesses who dont care and the new A04s to the enthusiast crowd.

I found out UPS tried to deliver my 2407 on Friday,but no one was here til about midnight.Anyway my landlord (bless her soul)signed for it,and dropped it off at our apt today.Its an A04 and has no backlight bleed,or dead pixels.No stuck pixels at all !!! I was expecting a A03,but the monitor was ordered by a Dell CSR employee,who is a old childhood friend of mine.Maybe his placing the order had a effect on the revision I got.I must admit I am in love with this thing :eek: ,it totally dwarfs my 2005 FPW A03!!!! Starting Monday my wife gets the 2005,and then I will have the 2407 and my Hyundai L90D+ as my secondary screen.

The only way she would agreet to pay for it,was if she got the 2005FPW as her main screen,so now we both have a dual screeen setup :) I wish our digi cam was working.We have a Fujifilm A101 with a 32mb memory card.I have been trying to get it working for a while now,but the mem card is fubar.I do not have a console,but when I do grab a 360 or PS3 this summer,I will be able to play in style ! I am going to pick up a Spyder 2 next week to properly calibrate the screen,but after getting her to play around with it for about 20 minutes,the color looks great ! I am very much color blind,but my wife has a good eye for color :) I am sitting about 27" to 30" away from the screen on average,and find it easy on the eyes overall @ native res.1680x1050 in Quake4 looked surprisingly good.But on the desktop it was just ok at 16x10.

I have hooked up my Yamaha DVD-S1700b,and watched Elfen Lied and it looked excellent.Prey @ 1920x1200 + 2x AA and 8x AF was very smooth.FEAR at native res with no AA but 4x AF was also smooth throughout 2 chapters this aft,was fun and the blacks looked great,with no crushing.Vista Ultimate with Aero looked drop dead sexxay the little while I tooled around with it today.My wife and I are amazed at the size of the screen.I am very VERY happy with my purchase.Now I need to start saving for my Q6600+2Gb DDR2+650i mobo upgrade in June or July of 07.

I would imagine that by mid march,ordering one of these will be a sure shot way of getting a A04.

Well, after sitting on the fence for a week, I've decided to return this panel for all the reasons I stated earlier. Ran a few games that loaded up in different aspects and they looked horrible. Even though they did support 1920x1200, I thought to myself how screwed I'd be if I ever got a game that didn't. And that's before even getting into the various inputs that are supposed to take HD signals.

Talked to a great CSR named Josh. He was understanding and helpful, I explained to him everything from what the monitor was supposed to do, to the different revisions, to my disappointment about how Dell was shipping old stock as new with a new revision out there that corrected the 1:1 problem. I also told him Dell should look into perhaps assigning a few CSRs to handle the enthusiast crowd as someone in this thread mentioned. He kinda back-tracked, repeating what I had said, that its a relatively small market. I told him that it was small, but it was these people who were going to scrutinize their products the most and hold them to any technical specifications and expectations they advertised.

He seemed interested in the problem though. I told him the various scenarios where the inability to do 1:1 would greatly diminish the viewing experience of the user (DVD movies, Xbox360, PS3, PC games that don't run native ec.) and how even black bars would be a better quality image. He also asked if other 24" monitors have this ability and I listed off the ones that do (Gateway, BenQ etc.) I told him if there was some way to ensure newer revisions for people who actually inquired, that would've eliminated the reason for my return. Something as simple as a line from Sales to Shipping would get it done, but he acknowledged there's nothing like that in place.

Was a pleasant conversation, I was expecting a rather heated/upset one and it almost got to that point when he mentioned a restocking fee of 15% and said it was "by state". I almost flipped there and then because there was no restocking or any mention of it when I returned my 22". He quickly said he would try and get it waived though and a few seconds later said there would be no restocking fee.

Anyways, my experience with this CSR basically gave Dell another chance in my book and I told him that. This whole experience was really disappointing, mostly because Dell was shipping old stock as new without any plans or acknowledgement to fix old revisions. Now I get to wait on @$1,000 in credits from Dell while I fork out more money for one of the panels I probably should've gotten in the first place, the Gateway or the BenQ. At least this time I'll be completely satisfied, provided I don't get any dead pixels etc.

"Anybody tried a cable box hooked up to the A03 or A04 revisions via DVI or component?

Could someone please try it if not and report back how it looks

Greg"

Anybody?

I've been following this thread for a while and described the fun I had returning my monitor. Well, after some more research, I went for the Westinghouse 37" LCD Monitor for $1000. It was around $200 more than I spent on my 24" but from all the reviews here and other forums I am extremely excited.

Good luck guys.

Daines1

Does anyone know if it's true that the A04 is using both S-PVA & S-IPS panels?

From what I've gathered from AnandTech forums...

2407WFP
Response time: 6ms (grey to grey) 16ms (black to white)
Panel type: S-IPS, S-PVA
Current revision: A04

http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Of course, I headed back to mobile01 forums and it seems like the A04 has two panels too, HN208L (ps. Does L actually refers to LG.Philips? Just a wild guess though..) as well as HN213. Does this confirm the possiblity of S-PVA and S-IPS panels being used? Any comments?

Note: If you were to see the first post I made in this thread, you could see that in the quote it was mentioned that the A04 was more "matte" compared to the A03. Are the S-IPS panels from LG.Philips typically more "matte" than S-PVA panels from Samsung?

I just ordered a 2407 less than 10 minutes ago, will report back on what version I got and where it came from. Im in Oklahoma now so chances are it'll be from TN.

I also don't care if I get A04 or not because I plan to use this for PC gaming only...

Any good news for the A03 owners trying to get an A04, or is this another case of the customer getting shafted by good ol' Dell?

Any good news for the A03 owners trying to get an A04, or is this another case of the customer getting shafted by good ol' Dell?

Unless your A03 is a perfect one, you can always contact Dell and they will send you a refurbished monitor as for replacement.. which could be an A04.

Does anyone know if it's true that the A04 is using both S-PVA & S-IPS panels?

From what I've gathered from AnandTech forums...

http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Of course, I headed back to mobile01 forums and it seems like the A04 has two panels too, HN208L (ps. Does L actually refers to LG.Philips? Just a wild guess though..) as well as HN213. Does this confirm the possiblity of S-PVA and S-IPS panels being used? Any comments?

Note: If you were to see the first post I made in this thread, you could see that in the quote it was mentioned that the A04 was more "matte" compared to the A03. Are the S-IPS panels from LG.Philips typically more "matte" than S-PVA panels from Samsung?

I think this is just a one more rumor - there is no 24 S-IPS from LG-Philips (they got 23")
Even Eizo uses S-PVA`s for their Pro-displays.

I think this is just a one more rumor - there is no 24 S-IPS from LG-Philips (they got 23")
Even Eizo uses S-PVA`s for their Pro-displays.

siipsnl9.jpg

I used to be very picky about panels until I had the chance to play with Dell's new 2707.
Ultra sharp sideviews on every angle and no problem what so ever playing xbox360.
From my experience and NOT by theoretical data, today's S-PVA is just as good as S-IPS.

The shaft. Dell just tels you what you want to hear with out right lies in order to make a sale.

I stopped buying from Dell a couple of years ago because I had a terrible customer service issue and took a long, long time to fix.

Its too bad CS is still - bad. Even though their monitors are tempting, they are really not set up to service individuals. No matter how they say they are focused on the consumer market, they really need to set up a separate division to service us better.

They should really be selling these A03s to businesses who dont care and the new A04s to the enthusiast crowd.

Makes to much sense to do all that.

The 92G 24" shows a 6 bit panel.:confused:

That is because it is a TN panel. Look at the box above 92 % NTSC and 6bit and 160 degree viewing angle. Without question that is TN.

That will be priceless when Dell comes out with the 2407 HC, charges more money for it and it is a TN panel. :)

Or maybe they are getting read for the PVA/TN lotto.

Dell is so amusing. :D

Leakage in all corners has recently appeared on my A03 :( and I will request an exchange. I live in Canada and I am wondering what is the likelihood of receiving a (refurbished?) A04?
Anyway, I will wait a few weeks before starting the exchange process as my chance of getting an A04 should increase...

So now we have a S-IPS, S-PVA and now a TN possiblities with the 24".
:eek:

I can garuntee the 24 inch dell does not use S-IPS. They would have to raise the price on the unit since that panel costs as much as they are selling the unit for right now.

I can garuntee the 24 inch dell does not use S-IPS. They would have to raise the price on the unit since that panel costs as much as they are selling the unit for right now.

So ChrisM is lying to everyone then ? (I have a 2407 A04)

Then they're offsetting that with their European prices.

Great. We're subsidising American cheap S-IPS monitors :(

hey all,

I've been following this and other 2407 threads for a while - thanks for all the info, it's been invaluable.

for anyone interested in getting a 2407 in new zealand, I checked with dell today (13 feb) about what we can get here - A03 only, with no known time for when A04's will be stocked. I asked if I could be emailed about it, contact the auckland warehouse directly, etc. but the only answer was to ring the sales line back and ask. I also asked about specifically ordering an A04 from elsewhere and was told I couldn't do that either.

due to a pricing drop on the 2707 (nz$2200->nz$1800) and the 15 day return policy, I rang back and ordered one of those instead. Incidentally, I asked about dead/stuck pixels etc. and they claimed they'd replace it no problems within the same 15 day period. I figure that if the 2707 doesn't work out I'll return it (because they kept insisting I could) and keep ringing back for a 2407 A04.

Let a new round of Dell Lottery begin!

New 15% coupon arrived in the mail today for me in a Vista upgrade letter, so expect a new wave of brave souls to test the A04 waters. I'm done with Dell til the next round, adjusting nicely to my Gateway FPD2485W that does 1:1 out of the box. ;)

Then they're offsetting that with their European prices.

Great. We're subsidising American cheap S-IPS monitors :(

Not to worry. Not a single person has indicated they received a 2407 with a S-IPS panel.

chizow, What panel is in the Gateway 24" ?

The Gateway, BenQ, and Dell A03 are all PVA panels. There was a rumor about the Dell A04 being lottery IPS because a Dell Tech posted a revision roadmap, but it looks like there's a higher chance A04 is going to be a TN rather than IPS with the rumored 2407-HC (read: really bright TN). :eek:

The Benq is a P-MVA panel, not S-PVA. Benq responded to the BeHardware story claiming it was S-PVA with an assurance it would be P-MVA made by Benq-owned AU Optronics.

Back