Dell 2407WFP-HC is available now

It doesn't seem to mention a time limit... it's probably like 30 days for a refund, any longer and it's a return. Either way refunds are always good and you could always go but a monitor you like if this doesn't suit your fancy... Now all I need is the money. Come on pay day. :)

What the hell is GST and QST? Looks like it gouged you! :eek:

Welcome to Quebec, my friend. =) Those are our sales taxes (now you know why we lost the Expos, and why no hockey players want to play here).

You'd think that with taxes like those, our streets would be paved with gold, huh? Thank God for those in charge that the population is too busy watching Oprah and reading Harry Potter to ask too many questions about where all that money's going, and why every other state and province in the world can get more done with less.

Thanks much repoman0--finally a quantitative test. I'll third the request for you to re-do it with the CRT at 60 Hz also. Thanks for your effort on this.

Alright alright, after three people I can't ignore it anymore :p You guys are lucky I didn't haul the P1130 downstairs or it would never happen :D I'll do it later today..

Welcome to Quebec, my friend. =) Those are our sales taxes (now you know why we lost the Expos, and why no hockey players want to play here).

You'd think that with taxes like those, our streets would be paved with gold, huh? Thank God for those in charge that the population is too busy watching Oprah and reading Harry Potter to ask too many questions about where all that money's going, and why every other state and province in the world can get more done with less.

The grass is always greener...

Just ordered my 2407wfp-hc today, estimated shipping is 8/4.....

Grand total of 721.44.

Upgrading from a 17" LCD that Ive had for about 3 years now. I'm just hoping that there are no dead pixel's or any thing else.

Just ordered 2 of these 2407wfp-hc's. :)

I was going to go with the 3007wfp-hc, but after some hard long thought about it.. I decided to go with more real estate (more flexible workstation using multi-monitors), more video inputs, and I don't have to worry about a super high resolution, that may require a sli upgrade every 6 months.

EDIT: When I get mine, I will test out some gaming on them. (Since I haven't read a whole lot in this thread from gamers yet)

Decided to start using my 37" Westy as a console, HTPC monitor only from now on.

Now if I can just locate someone on Craigslist with an IKEA Jerker, then my computer space will be complete! :cool:

Can anyone tell me if it would be worth it to upgrade from my current dual 2007WFP S-IPS set up to the 24's? I'm thinking running a 2007WFP in either portrait or landscape as a secondary monitor next to the 24. How is the image quality on the 24 compared to the 2007? And would the difference in panel types be very noticeable?

Not sure, I'll have to mess with it more later - I just went into the Dead pixel tester gradient screen, there's definitely crushed blacks at my current settings. Try doing the horizontal gradient test, I have like 1/2 inch of blacks that should be dark colors. To get them to change into colors I have to turn the brightness up to like 50, and with contrast at 50 brightness needs to be ~75-80.

edit: With brightness/contrast at 40/75 I can clearly see every one of the squares in the contrast test on this page.. as soon as I change brightness to 39 the square with RGB (1,1,1) goes away

I used that test page you linked and mine is perfect. I didn't need to adjust anything.
It's funny how two monitors of the same type can work so differently.

Thanks for that link, it's a good one to bookmark.

Can anyone tell me if it would be worth it to upgrade from my current dual 2007WFP S-IPS set up to the 24's? I'm thinking running a 2007WFP in either portrait or landscape as a secondary monitor next to the 24. How is the image quality on the 24 compared to the 2007? And would the difference in panel types be very noticeable?

I just picked up a 2007wfp from criagslist even though i am receiving my 2407wfp-hc today. If you are going to be doing any photo editing, you'll want the s-ips panel. But we'll see tonight how they compare. But everything I've researched pretty much says the 2407 won't be usable for critical image color work and editing.

I >was< going to use my 2007wfp in portrait mode until I discovered my bfg 7800gt oc -> to MAC hack (AGP G5) won't let me. Apple support for video cards SUCKS!

Not sure, I'll have to mess with it more later - I just went into the Dead pixel tester gradient screen, there's definitely crushed blacks at my current settings. Try doing the horizontal gradient test, I have like 1/2 inch of blacks that should be dark colors. To get them to change into colors I have to turn the brightness up to like 50, and with contrast at 50 brightness needs to be ~75-80.

edit: With brightness/contrast at 40/75 I can clearly see every one of the squares in the contrast test on this page.. as soon as I change brightness to 39 the square with RGB (1,1,1) goes away

repoman,

you do not need to see rgb (1,1,1)! On a properly calibrated and profiled CRT you should just barely (and I mean BARELY) see RGB (5,5,5) and RGB(10,10,10) being just a bit more visible. I wouldn't expect that from an LCD panel. Will do some testing tonight. My 2407-HC should arrive today! I also have a 2007fwp (s-ips) panel to compare with it.

cj

I just picked up a 2007wfp from criagslist even though i am receiving my 2407wfp-hc today. If you are going to be doing any photo editing, you'll want the s-ips panel. But we'll see tonight how they compare. But everything I've researched pretty much says the 2407 won't be usable for critical image color work and editing.

I >was< going to use my 2007wfp in portrait mode until I discovered my bfg 7800gt oc -> to MAC hack (AGP G5) won't let me. Apple support for video cards SUCKS!

Cool let me know how the 2007WFP and 2407WFP compares. I love the S-IPS quality on one of them but now I wonder how the 2407 compares. Also, see if you can test the 2007 in portrait mode next to the 2407 and see how that works :D

repoman,

you do not need to see rgb (1,1,1)! On a properly calibrated and profiled CRT you should just barely (and I mean BARELY) see RGB (5,5,5) and RGB(10,10,10) being just a bit more visible. I wouldn't expect that from an LCD panel. Will do some testing tonight. My 2407-HC should arrive today! I also have a 2007fwp (s-ips) panel to compare with it.

cj

Thanks for the info :cool:

Both monitors at 60hz, cloned

Code:
P1130 | 2407WFP-HC | Difference
33.606 | 33.574    | 32ms
28.841 | 28.830    | 11ms
27.811 | 27.800    | 11ms
25.401 | 25.380    | 21ms
13.420 | 13.409    | 11ms
13.076 | 13.055    | 21ms
11.342 | 11.320    | 22ms

It's harder at 60hz on the CRT because only a sliver of the screen is lit up during each shot, even down to 1/250s shutter speed. When the stopwatch is in a dark spot you can't see the numbers

So, is it safe to say the input lag is about 22ms?

Ive gotta question, does anyone out there play Counter Strike with this monitor ? If so, are you noticing some inverse ghosting on this ?

I ditched a Gateway FPD2485W because of horrible inverse ghosting, the DELL doesnt have it as bad but its noticeable :rolleyes:.

But everything I've researched pretty much says the 2407 won't be usable for critical image color work and editing.

What exactly do you mean my critical image color work? I use Photoshop and painter 9 very regularly for painting and image editing very heavily and from what I've read the 2407 is the best out there for color accuracy. Is there something I'm missing?

interesting, although very little info around about that panel....we need someone to pop the back of their HC and see :)

Ive gotta question, does anyone out there play Counter Strike with this monitor ? If so, are you noticing some inverse ghosting on this ?

I ditched a Gateway FPD2485W because of horrible inverse ghosting, the DELL doesnt have it as bad but its noticeable :rolleyes:.

It's only noticeable if you look for it.

I noticed it when playing Day of Defeat: Source, but it isn't as apparent as the example you gave. That looked like a totally black ghost, the ghosting in DoD: S was just a bit darker than the trailing image. On the desktop though, it's a greenish tint. Doesn't really bother me much.

What exactly do you mean my critical image color work? I use Photoshop and painter 9 very regularly for painting and image editing very heavily and from what I've read the 2407 is the best out there for color accuracy. Is there something I'm missing?

Hi JiBB,

First let me say that I am satisfied with my 2407wfp-hc. I paid 609+tax, free next biz day shipping, and a $100 coupon to boot. My display in clean with no dead or stuck pixels.

My first impressions are very positive. I believe the 2407wfp-hc will be a great general purpose monitor. Love the massive real estate! Out of box, however, it was blazing way to bright!

I also picked up a Dell 2007wfp (same s-ips panel as in the applie 20" cinema display) off craigslist this week end, so I will have something to complare it to when I get time.

I have a Colorvision Spyder with Optical. Although fine for CRT displays, its is slow and performs poorly on flat panels. So I picked up and have profiled both monitors using the Eye-One Display 2 to Kelvin 6500, Lumin around 120. The 2007wfp was very straight forward, but the 2407 needed fiddling. I consider the 2007wfp calibrated, the 2407 "close". But this was just my first go. Neither are as good as my CRT's.

I am coming from two pro graphic monitors:
NEC MultiSynch FP950 and Lacie 22" Electron Blue. I also have a FE990, but this just a decent pro-sumer grade monitor. I would have loved to have a Sony Artisan, but the 1800 premium at the time was dizzying. Needed a car!

Oh, I do professional photography (headshots and product) and catalog production and layout. Color accuracy and proofing is pretty vital. Can also produce swop certified proofs via RIP and my epson 4000. If a client is going to print 200,000 catalogs, the color better be right. Your life is easier when you can trust your monitor.

Plus I'm just plain picky!

Read this:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1700
and also the Seybold report.

So, now that I have the monitor in front of me, I can better understand comments made by other pro photogs and ga's in forums I haunt. Understand that this it is panel technology at question here. PVA panels are not going to complete with s-ips panels.

"Black Crush" is still evident. Clearly visible when viewing this forum. The monitor is wide enough that I can see the tonal change in my periphery when looking at center monitor. The 2007wfp (s-ips panel) does not show this. But I doubt most users would be bothered by this. It's not bad, just visible.

Image quality is good, but the 2007wfp is sharper, especially with white/black text. This may have to do with pixel density and pitch and the anti-glare etching. Reading white text/black you need to move your head back and forth to keep text crisp. The s-ips panel can be read like a book (moving just your eyes across the page) with even image sharpness... The Benq was also rated better than he original 2407wfp in this regard, but I don't have one to compare to the HC model.

Color banding in DVI is still evident in the transition to black. Less so in VGA mode. 2007wfp is better, but still visible. Look at:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml
to better understand how image data is distributed from the high to mid and dark tones. High end LCDs that have 10 or 12 bit LUTs are better able to handle this and provide a smoother transition. Again, at a cost premium. I will still use on my CRT for fine photo retouching so I am not too bothered by it.

I seriously considered the NEC LCD2690WUXI. But I really want to get the new Canon 1ds Mark III when released this fall... :p

Hope this better explains my comment. I do like the 2407, but I did buy it understanding it's limitations.

-cj

I got my 2407-hc about a week ago and had to return it. No matter what I did non color sensitive applications like Desktop and the Internet were oversaturated. The test here was to generate a sample in Photoshop and then make this sample my Desktop and compare.

Even if I completely disregarded the effects that parameter settings had on the Photoshop sample and just tried to calibrate the Desktop image I could not rid it of the oversaturation. I am not talking about a pixel peeping amount of saturation. I am talking major deviation.

Perhaps it was just me. It is hard to believe that Dell would design a monitor that works this way?

Snapping out,

Dog Star

chadderuski,

That does help. Though it make my decision all the harder. haha I had always planned on keeping my current CRT around for colour checking purposes. (I currently use a 19' Samsung SyncMaster)

The only thing that I have reservations about is that Dell has been switching randomly to PVA panels on the 2007wfp and 2007fp models. There is a thread like 76 pages long on these forums about it. I haven't had a chance to read all of it but what I have kind of discourages me from purchasing it.

I'm temped to go with the Benq... but I haven't heard that much about it. Do you know if the BenQ uses IPS?

BenQ doesn't use S-IPS as far as I know.

This definitely makes the decision harder for me. Would you recommend a 2407WFP as a general purpose and even gaming monitor with a secondary 2007WFP for web browsing, photo editing, etc.?

ZerazaX: BenQ does make some s-ips panels, but I don't know what their current offering is. Go to:
http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php
and shop around. The FP241W is a highly rated PVA panel. But not without it's own problems!

JiBB: Believe me, I understand. Like I said, I did over two weeks research on the current 24" panels out there. Been shopping for a cinema display for months. I don't mind buying used as long as I can check it thoroughly first. That is how I bought the 2007wfp off craigslist. I am in a large city so its easier to have good deals pop up if your patient. This model is very easy to check for s-ips panel - just get rev A02 or later to avoid some of the earlier banding issues. The 2005wfp is also nice, but check for back light bleed before you buy.

The monitor that I WANT is just not affordable: NEC LCD2690WUXI. But guess what, there have been reports of unacceptable back light bleeding! LOL! You just can't win!

Dogstar: Yep, the 2407wfp-hc out the box was way too bright for me, but it has calibrated down fine. I am fortunate to be on Mac OsX, so I get to run two color managed monitors full time, not just in Photoshop. I also reduced down my RGB guns to below 92, and profiled to 6500K.

Invest in a Eye-One Display 2 if you want to be able to manage this better. What operating system are you running? Also, check this french sight out for good heads-up comparisons on many recent monitors:

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=52&mo1=149&p1=1606&ma2=48&mo2=141&p2=1562&ph=6

So, I now have the 2407wfp-hc as main, and 2007wfp as secondary but will certainly use my CRT. I still plan to do more fine checking between them.

chadderuski:

how's the 2407wfp-hc for gaming?

I'm thinking about using my really bright 2007WFP S-IPS panel as a secondary monitor for web browsing, photo editing, etc. and get a 2407WFP-HC for 1920 x 1200 gaming goodness :D

But I do have to wonder: Wouldn't that mess up the resolutions on the 2007WFP (since the resolutions would be off). And are the two next to each other noticeable in the quality? (enough that it would be annoying looking at the two).

Otherwise I might just invest in a Spyder2 and calibrate my second monitor since its color offset is wrong.

chadderuski:

Ok one more questions. :) You have been a huge help by the way. On that french site you linked in your last post. There is a graph displayed... I'm a total n00b, what does that mean and how do I go about interpreting it?

ok nevermind I didn't notice the English option for the site. :p

So I guess my final question is how do you calibrate the screen? Because there is an obvious difference before and after calibration.

zerzax: gaming? not playing much these days. suppose i could load up FEAR again and see... have dual 7800gs in sli in that machine. But try this, go here:
http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasing.html
and drag our browser window around. Twinkle twinkle and if on VGA green blotchies. But this is a tough test! No color variation on the s-ips panel, but still twinkle. Need fast TN panel to get rid/lessen that more. I am NOT real knowledgable here, go to "trusted reviews" and see what he says.

JiBB: I found the Eye-One Display 2 better than the Spyder, especially on LCD panels. Other reviews seem to agree:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=17013381&changemode=1
http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_GretagMacBeth_Eye-One.htm
http://digitaldog.net/

also found on hardforum:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1166367
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1168121

Hope this helps!

It's damn good for gaming. So far, have only played Day of Defeat: Source, and Counter Strike: Source on it. But the experience was stellar. I actually got more headshots in Counter Strike: Source.

I don't see why a lot of people don't like the 2407WFP-HC's PQ/IQ, it was breath of fresh air to me. My aging CRT was getting duller and the colors kind of faded compared to how it looked before.

The colors are strong, but I wouldn't say they're overly saturated.

Well I guess my next question is how do you fix the resolution difference with the two monitors at work?

For instance, if I have my 2 2007wfps next to each other, only when I run my main one at 1680 x 1050 (in game for example) will the other monitor maintain the aspect of windows running in the background. For instance, if I play a game without widescreen support, say at 1024 x 768, it pushes whatever windows i had in my main monitor partially over to the other monitor.

If I run a 1920 x 1200 monitor at that resolution in a game, will it do the same thing if I had my 2007WFP next to it? Or will it stay at the 1680 x 1050 without any of the background being pushed?

Hell, is it even worth dealing with that? Not to mention the desktop wallpaper issues that would arise, no?

It's only noticeable if you look for it.

I noticed it when playing Day of Defeat: Source, but it isn't as apparent as the example you gave. That looked like a totally black ghost, the ghosting in DoD: S was just a bit darker than the trailing image. On the desktop though, it's a greenish tint. Doesn't really bother me much.

I just got mine yesterday and the trailing greenish tint on the desktop when dragging windows around is horrid imho. Its even worse in Linux, almost to the point of not being usuable.

Is this something anyone else has noticed? Im ready to send this thing back as my 2 year old 19" viewsonic vp191b doesnt have this problem and for $600+ (i know thats not that much for a 24") it isnt really acceptable.

For games though its hard to find any ghosting and is the only time i actually enjoy using it.

Im thinking about getting an eye-one to calibrate it to see if this will help?

Back