Dell 2407WFP-HC is available now

...Is there an easy way to post pictures?
Yes more pictures. That is what this thread needs. Even better would be a side by side of the HC and none HC calibrated.:D

As for pictures its easy. Just upload to Imageshack or some other equivalently. Once uploaded you will get the BB code you need to post here (use the code listed as thumbnails for forums). Just copy and paste into a message and bamm, we get to see your pretty pictures. Hope that helps.

Wow as355,

The photo of backlight bleed looks like glare from something in the room.
If that was in a completely dark room, it'd be shocked.

I just checked mine with a black background in a semi-dark room and it looks quite uniform,
but it's still too bright for pics. I just took four and they were blurred and reflecting light.

Perhaps there is a difference between the Mexico and China manufactured units.
That would be very regrettable.

I'll try to remember to take some pics tonight and post them here.

hmm... i was starting to look into if I want to replace my 2405 with a 2407 - and then came across this thread...

based on facts stated, i'm totally confused on which of these 3 panels is the superior - esp. for gaming!

The dell doesn't look as calibrated? but it does have more detail in the dark areas... hmmm... which is better out of the 2? Do you game on them... I need a sweet display for work (graphic artist) and gaming on my xbox 360. Thinking about one of these...

I have done some tests on the 2407HC and have found no backlight bleed, color banding or dead pixels.
The BenQ241W tested with the same results.

Can you make the stopwatch test to compare input lag between them? Pretty please? :)

That's us.

We all seem to be getting backlight bleed issues compared to A04 models.
We are slowly getting the colours right, with a few rgb tweaks.

Overall I'm impressed with my HC, it's just different to the A04 and a couple of minor issues to be sorted out.
[img=http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2426/200707130014lc1.th.jpg]
[img=http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4761/200707130011il7.th.jpg]
Photo of backlight bleed and the menu

That backlight bleed looks abysmal buddy, you sure you impressed with that?

I really do not feel that there is backlight bleeding on either of the monitors or I would have sent them back. On one of the pictures there is the reflection on the screen from the flash from the camera. I checked both of these monitors for color banding and backlight bleeding using the resources at the: lcdresource.com. It puts a black screen on the monitor so you can check for any backlight bleeding. Neither of these monitors has this problem.

I really do not feel that there is backlight bleeding on either of the monitors or I would have sent them back. On one of the pictures there is the reflection on the screen from the flash from the camera. I checked both of these monitors for color banding and backlight bleeding using the resources at the: lcdresource.com. It puts a black screen on the monitor so you can check for any backlight bleeding. Neither of these monitors has this problem.

its massively overexposed, its not viewable to the naked eye.

That backlight bleed looks abysmal buddy, you sure you impressed with that?

The photo looks a lot worse than it really is, but no, I'm not impressed at all with the backlight bleed, I do however like the colour.

I still have my A04 here (HN213 panel) and I'm tossing up which one to keep. I'm sure Dell won't send me another to try out.
As I said the colours are nice but the bleeding is an issue I could do without.
There are a lot of these monitors being sold here at the moment and all seem to be having this bleeding problem and worse, most are getting them with dead pixels!
Bloody Chinese manufacturing :mad:
I wish we could get the Mexican ones too. :cool:
You guys have all the luck, well nearly anyway, at least we haven't got George Dubya.

May I ask a straight out question, as the more research I do, the more confused I get:

As a gamer, if you had a choice between a 2405, 2407WFP or 2407WFP-HC - which would you pick and why?

The 2405 has significant input lag so I would not suggest it. The viewing angles are not great too. Some have experienced a "buzzing" noise.

The 2407WFP A04 is a great monitor (no banding, 1:1 aspect ratio, good viewing angles) and it should satisfies most gamers. IMO, there is no significant input lag nor banding issues although the black could be better. Also, the 2407WFP (all revisions) does not support 1080i and this is bad for XBOX 360 owners. Be careful with the unit revision, since earlier revisions(A00 to A03) are plagued with all kind of issues (banding, poor 1:1 aspect ratio support, green\pink mouse trail over white background, fuzzy text, etc...)

The 2407WFP-HC seems to be a very good choice but I do not know if the input lag is significant. From what I read, the black is better, the viewing angles are very good, 1080i is supported through component, the colors are better and 1:1 aspect ratio works. But manufacturing problems are common with earlier revision of Dell monitors ( Problem with panel alignment: see http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1205227)
The good thing with Dell is that you can send back the monitor if you do not like it.

Personally, I would go with the HC. In fact, I should get mine next week!

Edit: The dell support forums is a great place to find informations.
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&thread.id=79103
2407WFP: 1080i is NOT supported through component but some users have been enable to enable with DVI by turning iTest on in the service menu .
2407WFP-HC 1080i is supported through component
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&thread.id=79893&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

after 6 months of waiting, i finally got mine..now the first question - are win xp's default monitor driver good enough for this? when I tried to use the one included on the cd, xp like the default one better...any advice?

also, what do you guys use to test dead pixels?

thx

The 2405 has significant input lag so I would not suggest it. The viewing angles are not great too. Some have experienced a "buzzing" noise.

The 2407WFP A04 is a great monitor (no banding, 1:1 aspect ratio, good viewing angles) and it should satisfies most gamers. IMO, there is no significant input lag nor banding issues although the black could be better. Also, the 2407WFP (all revisions) does not support 1080i and this is bad for XBOX 360 owners. Be careful with the unit revision, since earlier revisions(A00 to A03) are plagued with all kind of issues (banding, poor 1:1 aspect ratio support, green\pink mouse trail over white background, fuzzy text, etc...)

The 2407WFP-HC seems to be a very good choice but I do not know if the input lag is significant. From what I read, the black is better, the viewing angles are very good, 1080i is supported through component, the colors are better and 1:1 aspect ratio works. But manufacturing problems are common with earlier revision of Dell monitors ( Problem with panel alignment: see http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1205227)
The good thing with Dell is that you can send back the monitor if you do not like it.

I was unware of the major differences between these 3 monitors. I was looking at buying a 2407WFP A04 but since it doesn't do 1080i over component its automatically out. I'm hooking my 360 up to it as well so looks like the HC for me. :D

I think I'll wait a little bit to hear some more reviews on the new panel and see how things turn out.

Well, the 2407wfp-hc has definitely arrived. Its being sold on eBay for under $600 plus shipping. Total about $600 to $625. No mention of return policy. But the price wars have now notched up a bit.

Mac

You're input is GREATLY appreciated. I'll be getting the 2407-HC later this week and will post my opinions once I do.

. I was looking at buying a 2407WFP A04 but since it doesn't do 1080i over component its automatically out. I'm hooking my 360 up to it as well so looks like the HC for me. :D

The 2407 A04 rev certainly does do 1080i over component.

I have an A04 and a HC in front of me and the only thing the HC does that the A04 can't is contrast over DVI. Oh and the A04 doesn't give the cartoonish colours.:p

Personally, yes I do prefer the A04.

It really comes down to personal preference.

The colour on the HC looks oversaturated. We are also having backlight issues with the Chinese versions.

Here in Australia the A04's have been discontinued, so if you want one you might need to be quick.

I'm not able to get winxp to take the hc drivers off the cd. It keeps saying it likes what it is has already better. And I think that's keeping me from using the USB ports on it because when I plug something into them, nothing happens. Advice?

I ended up downloading mine from the Dell website.
The go to Display-Settings-Advanced-Monitor-Properties-Driver-Uninstall Driver

You should then get Found New Hardware message and then it will ask you to use the CD or you can specifiy a location for the file if you have downloaded it from the Dell website

I'm not able to get winxp to take the hc drivers off the cd. It keeps saying it likes what it is has already better. And I think that's keeping me from using the USB ports on it because when I plug something into them, nothing happens. Advice?

I'm really hoping you've already checked this but you DO have a USB cable going from the correct port in the rear of the monitor to your PC... correct? By correct, i mean from the square-shaped port on the monitor to the standard USB port on your PC.

both the USB and cardreader should be plug n play, so it shouldn't be a driver issue.

Personally, yes I do prefer the A04.

It really comes down to personal preference.

The colour on the HC looks oversaturated. We are also having backlight issues with the Chinese versions.

Here in Australia the A04's have been discontinued, so if you want one you might need to be quick.

Grr... i opted out of buying the A04 in hopes the newer HC would outperform it. It's already been ordered, so I guess i'll just have to see what i think about the color. (i'm not too picky about color anyhow)
Either way, it should perform better then the 2405 I've been running!

I dont have the 2407WFP A04 to compare it to but I think the picture and color looks great on my 2407HC and I am comparing it to my BenQ241. I like the picture on the Dell over the BenQ. I am coming from top end Sony CRTs so I am real picky about the picture quality.
Mine was made in Mexico.

total n00b question:

In madden, I can't tell any difference in picture between aspect and 1:1. I'm running the desktop in the lcd's native resolution and running the game at its max (1600x1200) and letting the lcd control scaling.

So i'm a bit confused as to what the difference should/would be between aspect and 1:1.

Also, can someone enlighten me as to the big deal of a locked 1:1 ratio? Which is better (locked or unlocked) and why?

thx

I just ordered one brand new from eBay for $607 shipped with insurance, including 3 year Dell warranty :) 7 still available from the same seller.

I don't know, what's Dell's dead pixel policy :D The warranty is through Dell, not the seller.

I spoke to Dell support yesterday and they told me it's 5 or more dead pixels.

We can get them exchanged over here with 1 dead pixel.
Officially it's 5. You just need to remind them that 1 isn't acceptable.
If you get a dead one on your replacement you're in trouble though. Although the chances of getting 2 monitors with dead pixels should be remote.

Grr... i opted out of buying the A04 in hopes the newer HC would outperform it. It's already been ordered, so I guess i'll just have to see what i think about the color. (i'm not too picky about color anyhow)
Either way, it should perform better then the 2405 I've been running!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the HC. It's just different.
When comparing it to the A04 the colour is more 'vivid' and a lot of people prefer that. You can always adjust it to your preference anyway. I have adjusted mine and it's a lot better now.
My settings are: Red 83, Green 87, Blue 89, brightness 10, contrast ~85.

We can get them exchanged over here with 1 dead pixel.
Officially it's 5. You just need to remind them that 1 isn't acceptable.
If you get a dead one on your replacement you're in trouble though. Although the chances of getting 2 monitors with dead pixels should be remote.

Where do you live? I'm in Malaysia.

5 dead pixels? That's enough to make me want to forget the Dell and buy the BenQ WZ through NCIX (zero dead pixel guarantee optional).

I have a lot of experience with Dell. You just have to play the game. If you have any problems just be sure to call them before the 21 day return period is up. The ball is in your court during that time period.
If push comes to shove you may have to find something else wrong:D
with the monitor besides dead pixels if they give you a hard time:D

I have a lot of experience with Dell. You just have to play the game. If you have any problems just be sure to call them before the 21 day return period is up. The ball is in your court during that time period.
If push comes to shove you may have to find something else wrong:D
with the monitor besides dead pixels if they give you a hard time:D

Mouahaha.. noted. ;)

Back