Dell 2407WFP-HC is available now

I would never get a widescreen monitor under 24". there is no point. You get more surface area with normal 3:4 aspect monitors that are 20". The 20" widescreen is just chopped down to make it 16:9 or 16:10. And don't even get me started on 22" (biggest scam ever).

This is very true Snowdog, and I have heard of NEC's shift. It makes me very worried... I just hope that they either sink the money in to LCD to make them better and more affordable or into a newer better technology... but one can only hope. :p Either way unless something comes up (ie lots of money or some really good tech) I'm going to be sticking with my 2407 for at least a little while. :)

backlight bleed is alot more to due with the manufacture than just the panel tech.

What I found from reading around on technologies is that the IPS technology is much more susceptible to backlight bleeding than others, so it's not entirely the manufacturer's fault. They can reduce it, but looks like they have to invest resources to find good workarounds and have high quality control standards in place for filtering out unacceptable units.

But before i buy the supposed top 20" monitor in the next week assuming i can still get the rebate, i did want to sort out some of the complaints i've been recently hearing about it on widescreen gaming forums. Some weird stuff about backlight bleeding and gradients and crap.

And there, you just confirmed my point. No perfect LCD out there, even at 20"... and that should be much easier to get right than 24"+

I also agree with JiBB that with a 20" widescreeen vs standard LCD you will get less screen real estate. To not to bore you too much with mathematics, I made some quick calculations for the surface area of a 16:10 and 4:3 (180 in2 and 192 in2 respectively) and there is almost a 7% difference in favour of the 4:3 screen.

Edit: oops, i made the calculations for the 22". Replaced it with numbers for 20" screens. I must be having a lot of free time on my hands :D

well, yeah, a widescreen should always be smaller than it's 4:3 equivalent. heck, a 24" widescreen will seem like a 24" 4:3 chopped off too, it's really an apples to apples kind of observation in my mind.

but i still dont see how backlight bleed could be more susceptible depending on the tech, it just seems like a seperate system and is purely caused by LCD tech itself as well as the manufacturing process (take LCD tv's for example, alot of them suffer from uneven backlighting and they are all pretty much PVA, although i dont think's the PVA panel that makes the mura present specifically).

I had mine for a bit over a week, thought mine had no noticeable ghosting/lag
.... but when i load up http://www.lenscrafters.com/ today and drag the window around in a circular motion, i notice the lag, especially the white text over green (Service Tab)

can anyone else confirm this?

===================

Made in Mexico
Rev: A00

Brightness: 40
Contrast: 17
Color Settings Mode: PC Mode
Color Adjustment: PC Normal

What I found from reading around on technologies is that the IPS technology is much more susceptible to backlight bleeding than others, so it's not entirely the manufacturer's fault. They can reduce it, but looks like they have to invest resources to find good workarounds and have high quality control standards in place for filtering out unacceptable units.

All screens are vulnerable to backlight bleed. You've seen it in this thread about the 2407WFP S-PVA and on the 2707WFP S-PVA. The 24" gateway was famous for the dreaded X... Most of what people thinks about technologies and backlight bleed is from what they read in the forums. I've yet to see technical papers or statistics saying which one is worst and which is best.

I read you got put off IPS panels after you read ToastyX's review about the Planar. Did you read his reactions about the 2490WUXi?
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031368217&postcount=1153

And some of the problems he had with the lines and such on the 2690WUXi and the Planar, he is the only one who had. Travbomb got the techs to check for lines even and I've seen it mentioned no other places where I've read about the 2690WUXi, including some forums in spanish, german, french and japanese. I have two 2690WUXi sitting at my desk for the moment. Both without any backlight bleed, lines etc...

You worry so much about backlight bleed and ToastyX's experience about it. So, you care about getting a uniform panel. Did you check ToastyX's reaction about Eizo's HD2441W(S-PVA)? Even I got disappointed, because I had high hopes for that screen and also high regards for Eizo. Here you can see Eizo's uniformity in action(vs 2690WUXi and also 2490WUXi):
eizo-nec-right.th.jpg

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031371458&postcount=58

Btw. H-IPS stands for horizontal in-plane switching.

Thanks for the link Tamlin, I haven't read much about that one as it was way out of what I am willing to spend on an LCD. But now I went through that review and yeah, that looks like it's closer to perfection than most others I read about. Then again, there is always a tradeoff as it's rated as a 16ms screen. However, if it wouldn't cost $1400 but half as much, I'd give it a try. I would be willing to spend $100 more than I spent on my 2407 for something that works better. I don't believe this one is twice as better as the 2407 though.

Thanks for the link Tamlin, I haven't read much about that one as it was way out of what I am willing to spend on an LCD. But now I went through that review and yeah, that looks like it's closer to perfection than most others I read about. Then again, there is always a tradeoff as it's rated as a 16ms screen. However, if it wouldn't cost $1400 but half as much, I'd give it a try. I would be willing to spend $100 more than I spent on my 2407 for something that works better. I don't believe this one is twice as better as the 2407 though.

Your're welcome!
6ms, not 16 ms. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0950280
$1,249.00 with 50$ mail-in rebate withdrawn.

Its a graphic professional screen, so it gives much bang for the buck if you are to use it for that, but it might be expensive if to only game with it... :)

No matter how much $$$ you pay out, there will always be a tradeoff unfortunately. CRT's are not perfect either in this regard. You just have to find what tradeoffs you can live with.

The Dell gives good bang for the buck for gamers. It has some issues I can't live with, but in general people enjoy it for their games. :)

Hmmm, I went to NEC before I posted that message just hear it from the horse's mouth. If you click on Specifications on the page, you'll see what I mean.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=a46240bd-a846-4de7-b644-bd7f0b7e6ece

Its quoted as 8 ms (grey to grey). The 16ms number is Black to white, which is 16ms as the 2407WFP.
The numbers you see on the NEC page is without overdrive. Overdrive is off by default (since its a professional monitor and to avoid RTC errors). :)
Its the same with the 2690WUXi, its quoted with its response time without overdrive. Check specs page here:
http://www.nec-display-solutions.co...s__Main,spec=x__uk__en,docId=211754,group=all

Could someone with a Dell 2407wfp-hc tell me if the following two resolutions are supported via DVI :
1680x1050
1440x900
Thanks in advance

I see Tamlin. Looks like both are pretty similar speedwise then.

xstorm, I could get 1680x1050 working fine, no success with the 1440x900 but that might be videocard related. We need someone else to confirm that for you.

I see Tamlin. Looks like both are pretty similar speedwise then.

By specs and GtG, pretty much. :) I want to add though that the 2690WUXi have a 13ms Black to white (6 ms black to white, 7 ms white to black Tr/Tf), while the 2407WFP have 16 ms BtW with overdrive, and its not so heavy on the overdrive usage as PVA based panels.

Regarding H-IPS technology, there was a comparison between H-IPS and S-IPS (both LG's technologies) done on a Japanese site which I translated here:

http://www.monitorsrc.com/news/the-lg-h-ips-panel/

Thanks, I don't see any loss of viewing angle. It looks great. In fact if the exposure was held constant, there is actually less loss of contrast on the new panel. Loss of contast is how poor viewing angles manifest.

The new iMac is suppossed to have a 24" H-IPS IIRC. I will have to pay attention to that.

Hopefully this is not another marketing term that get watered down when they realize people want H-IPS and they call all the IPS screens H-IPS.

Maybe Apple will bring out a 24" ACD with the H-IPS screen (minus the gloss). That would be great.

That information about H-IPS is not correct. H-IPS panels have similar viewing angles to S-IPS panels. Older IPS panels glow orange at slight angles and purple at extreme angles, while newer IPS panels glow silvery white. The 24" and 26" NEC monitors are an exception due to the A-TW (Advanced True Wide) polarizer. The 24" iMac and the 26" Planar glow silvery white like the latest 23" Apple even though they have the same panels as the NEC monitors.

26" NEC on left, 26" Planar on right:

newer IPS panels glow silvery white. The 24" and 26" NEC monitors are an exception due to the A-TW (Advanced True Wide) polarizer. The 24" iMac and the 26" Planar glow silvery white like the latest 23" Apple even though they have the same panels as the NEC monitors.

Yuk, that looks almost as bad as PVA.

That information about H-IPS is not correct. H-IPS panels have similar viewing angles to S-IPS panels. Older IPS panels glow orange at slight angles and purple at extreme angles, while newer IPS panels glow silvery white. The 24" and 26" NEC monitors are an exception due to the A-TW (Advanced True Wide) polarizer. The 24" iMac and the 26" Planar glow silvery white like the latest 23" Apple even though they have the same panels as the NEC monitors.

26" NEC on left, 26" Planar on right:

The viewing angle being slightly narrower was just speculation, not actually specified as fact, although I did list it as a con which probably caused the misunderstanding so I will remove that. Also I'll update mentioning that it is with older S-IPS panels.

Thanks for the information about the newer IPS panels, I will have to look into that!

I was talking about the bleed, which is caused by the viewing angles. The Japanese site makes a comparison against a 26" NEC, but the 26" NEC doesn't bleed due to the A-TW polarizer, not because it's H-IPS. H-IPS panels still have the bleed, except it's white like newer IPS panels instead of orange and purple like older IPS panels.

I just received my 2407wfp-HC yesterday, and I love it. However, the colors seem a bit intense. I'm running this off of a Macbook Pro. What brightness and color settings do you guys recommend? Also, should I use Mac color mode or PC?

Wanted to inquire on where you guys are putting your settings for this monitor. The default values are terrible looking to me. (Especially playing FEAR)

Do you guys have a baseline on what to set them?

Thanks...

Back