Dell 2405 - how does it hold up to newer 24" displays?

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
I posted this question in the dell 2412 thread, but how does Dell 2405 hold up in terms of color accuracy and black levels compared to newer displays? all my friends only have TN based displays, and to me eyes my aging monitor still seems to have better colors. the only thing that is really starting to bother me is that it is starting to get some bad image persistence problems. also, since getting e monitor I have always longed for the deep blacks of my old CRT. just curious, but how would a monitor like the new 2412 hold up to my aging workhorse of a monitor? would I see any visual improvements? I would be using the monitor primarily for cad/cam and gaming.

Thanks, and have a great thanksgiving weekend all.

jas

I posted this question in the dell 2412 thread, but how does Dell 2405 hold up in terms of color accuracy and black levels compared to newer displays? all my friends only have TN based displays, and to me eyes my aging monitor still seems to have better colors. the only thing that is really starting to bother me is that it is starting to get some bad image persistence problems. also, since getting e monitor I have always longed for the deep blacks of my old CRT. just curious, but how would a monitor like the new 2412 hold up to my aging workhorse of a monitor? would I see any visual improvements? I would be using the monitor primarily for cad/cam and gaming.

Thanks, and have a great thanksgiving weekend all.

jas

They are comparable in a few areas but the U2412 has much lower colour shift and has no black crush issues.

Last edited:
U2412 should also have much better blacks and response time. Colors and everything should be only better if it's what you ask :)

I had 2407 so newer model than yours and U2410 is better in every way possible so I don't think 2405->U2412M could give different outcome as U2412M is supposed to have better blacks :)

There are a few things that you will give up when you switch from the 2405... one although there is black crush.. there is no ips glow...
and there is not nasty anti glare coating.

But you'll gain viewing angles, response time, and it will be fairly well calibrated out of the box.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the loss of detail in blacks moving from an CRT really bothers me on my 2045, but having to put up with glowing areas to get this detail back doesn't sound like any improvement. Actually, it sounds like a step backward. I guess I'll hang onto the work gal for another year or so, and see what other developments come out in the LCD industry. Here is hoping some day there is something that matches the picture and color quality of my old Sony CRT.

ips glow is something very similar to loss of black level on your S-PVA
I had it on 2407 so 2405 have it too :eek:

most important thing is response time and input lag difference. U2412M will be much much faster in color transitions and it won't have so much delay on what is seen. I'd change :) you may also buy it somewhere where you could return it with "no question asked" policy :)

Sadly you will never get the pq of an old sony crt.... just isn't going to happen.
But you learn to live with the ips glow... honestly I hate it more than the ag coating.
But ips glow varies... my g/fs 23" acd, has some .. but its acceptable.. and the anti glare coating is much better than my 2405.

Back