Dell 2007 fp/fpw Banding issue.

i have an A00 even though a replacement is coming. how do u get to the service menu? i can check for you.

EVS,

From a Dell Post:

So here are the steps:
- bring up the service menu (as mentioned before, power up while keeping both the menu and + buttons pressed. Once the monitor starts, press - to get the service menu)
- for me, as soon as the service menu came up the rest of the screen brighthened up (from blueish colour to white and clear for a white background). The colour would get back to blueish if I exited the service menu before completing the next steps.
- navigate to the PC Normal Preset and press the menu button. This will "activate" the R colour settings

Look at the RGB settings under PC Normal Preset.

I'm suprised no one has posted their settings yet. You'd think there would be interest in this.

Just received my 2007wfp today and guess what, it was A00. Grrr! I asked several times if I'd be getting the latest revision (ordered on July 4th). Guess not. *sighs*

I haven't been able to hook up the DVI cable yet, but in VGA mode I can only see slight banding (very slight). Nothing that I'd be too upset about as this monitor is so sweet (my first LCD). I'll be checking the dvi tomorrow and I'm sure I'll notice the bad banding that I've been reading about for the past 2 weeks.

Anyhow, here's my monitor's default RGB for the A00 version. No color settings were changed (except I darkened the brightness some, which shouldn't affect default RGB)

R-239
G-220
B-226

Thanks for the posts. I still haven't found the RGB settings I use to have, but I'm gladd some people posted their settings.

BTW, Is the standard Brightness 50?

Thanks

stupid quesiton but how do u tell what version you have? I dont have mine yet but will have it by tuesday.

mest6039 said:
stupid quesiton but how do u tell what version you have? I dont have mine yet but will have it by tuesday.
If you look though this thread youll find the answear. I think some one said it was on the back of the box or you can see it by holding the menu button and then hit the + button, idk ill be getting mine here within the next hour or two ( :D ).

woot...im no longer a noobie

idk ill be getting mine here within the next hour or two ( ).

lol, 5 mins after posted that I got mine :D. Im really happy with it, I belive i got a A02 casue on the back of the box it said 02. I see no color banding, and if there is owell im not gonna run a test and see that there is and then I wont like it anymore :( . but I love it as soon as i got it hooked up I played my Battlefield 2 demo, look little wierd but i think that cause I dont have the widescreen hack on it. im looking as i type. but I just got mine with no problems.

lol, forgot to mention im colored blind...so color banding may not be a issue with me.

Just got my 2007WFP in this evening. LM201W01 screen according to the service menu.

Very bright, no dead pixels.

This banding issue is IMHO not something most folks will feel is an issue. It's slightly there if I look for it on the gradlin test, but I wouldn't notice it gaming or DVD watching. I do appreciate those of you who held Dell's feet to the fire on this issue though, good work.

Way beats the Acer AL1702 it is replacing. On the plus side when I look at the gradient test screen there's a much smoother range across that line. Not describing it very well but the Acer goes from gray to black much quicker.

Sleeker and prettier too!

Tycoonbrad said:
Thanks for the posts. I still haven't found the RGB settings I use to have, but I'm gladd some people posted their settings.

BTW, Is the standard Brightness 50?

Thanks

nop my brightness is 60.

Tycoonbrad - my desktop (default) color settings were:
brightness - 50
digital vibrance - 0
contrast - 46
image sharpening - 0
gamma - 9

mest6039 - the version is on the label on the back of the monitor. Looks below the top bar code, it should say 'Rev A00, etc". My box didn't tell me what version it was, just made in china and some long set of numbers.

vincentfox - I love mine too, however I've only been in VGA mode (have you tried DVI yet? what revision do you have?). I can't try the DVI yet because my darn graphics card won't support it (even tho Nvidia's online support said it would....grrrrr :mad: ), so either I've gotta get a new card or a different monitor. I love the color, size, everything - I'm coming from a CRT, so I'm very impressed.

Question - what truly is the difference between using DVI versus VGA? I know that VGA is analog and DVI is digital, but what's the true purpose of people wanting to use the digital side - is it for HD capabilities, or...what? Is it really a must-have and for what purpose? If I get a new graphics card to support this 2007wfp, I'm debating on whether I'll just want to keep the A00 I've got since I notice very very slight banding in VGA mode, unless someone can convince me otherwise on why to use the DVI cable. ;)

i dunno enough about the different cable types to comment probably, but i think that dvi cables, becasue its digital provides better quality pictures. i mean that's the main common user difference. i'm using dvi...

YAY!

my A02 finally came...the delivery guy just popped out from the front yard....

let u guys know how it runs later

Old-style VGA means signal goes to analog across the cable and then back to digital inside the monitor. There's some small signal/information lost in this process. DVI is better in my opinion. I am using DVI and it works great! Text is crisp.

I am using an older Sapphire 9600-Pro, that I kitted with a Zalman heatsink for silent operation, and overclocked to get a bit more speed. This is not a gaming rig, it's mainly for desktop and DVD. But I did run BF2 on it at 800x600x32 and it seemed to scale and work tolerably well for me.

Do the gaming/multimedia modes just pump up contrast and result in banding in shadows etc? Like dragging the contrast up in Photoshop resulting in a "rougher" image?

well its cuz the updated firmware only disabled that special video processing thingy in desktop mode and not the others, so you still have banding in gaming and multimedia mode

but who is going to use multimedia mode or gaming mode in a situation that they will notice banding?

evs said:
well its cuz the updated firmware only disabled that special video processing thingy in desktop mode and not the others, so you still have banding in gaming and multimedia mode
More specifically: The other two modes serve virtually no purpose. They're mainly gamma/contrast settings, which normally can be changed with whatever device you're using to output video. Keep it in desktop :D

Boondock said:
but who is going to use multimedia mode or gaming mode in a situation that they will notice banding?

yeh i agree....but even still. i have never changed to gaming mode or multimedia mode just for a game or movie or something.

but i didn't get my return airbill, so i dunno wat to do rite now

I just called Dell and after explaining to an Indian the problem, (I could actually clearly understand him, horray!) being put on hold for 5 min so that he could get approval since it's been 2 months since I ordered, I now have a new 2007FPW on the way. Hopefully by this time next week I will have it.

BTW, I contacted ChrisM last night after reading this post on the Dell forums. He suggested I try calling first and that if I was unable to get it resolved then he would get it taken care of for me.

Better get on it Reneesong! I was lazy too but I'm moving soon and didn't want to have another hassle of trying to change the shipping and billing address in a few weeks. I wish I had done this last week.

Hmmm, evs, that doesn't sound right. I'd definitely put a call into Dell!

Sobek - I'm on it! Just called for the replacement earlier today, so my new one will arrive in 5-7 business days. Can't wait. Glad they're sending you one with no problems.

Now I've just gotta get myself a new graphics card that will support 1680x1050 digitally, plus a new power supply plus probably a new case that my new power supply will fit into. Oiy! This monitor sure is costing me more $$ than I had expected! That A02 better be darn perfect. :D

All right, here's one for ya: I have been using my A02 for a couple of weeks now, and with DVI/Component/Svideo, it's perfect. Sadly, with VGA, I get horrible banding. The funny thing is, my A00 that I also have doesn't have any banding at all in VGA mode. For now, I can use my 360 on my second monitor, but does anybody know if there's a setting, or if they just forgot to disable the faojudashazama video processing in VGA?

well i don't think you can disable it yourself otherwise there wouldn't have been the need to flash every single monitor that Dell sold.

its interesting that VGA has more banding in this new revision. i was always undere the impression that when the banding was apparent using DVI in the older revisions, VGA didn't have as much simply because the picture quality would've been more distorted, and less nice as a Digital to Digital conneciton.

evs said:
but i didn't get my return airbill, so i dunno wat to do rite now
1) Learn to spell.
2) Use periods.
3) Go to the Dell Community Forums, Monitors section, and ready the sticky.

DAM! i knew i should've listened to my fifth grade teacher when she was teaching me grammar and spelling. but no worries, i've got you now!

thanks for your info about the airbill though. so yeh, i'll "ready the sticky" if that even makes sense.

btw, i call them fullstops...... these things .

Well after debating for quite a while I ordered mine and just received it today. I was a little worried about the banding still but after loading up World of Warcraft, Lineage 2 and some DOD:S I'm extremely pleased :D This monitor is beautiful!

So for anyone still on the fence about getting one, don't wait order now. You won't regret it.

Just recieved my new one as well. It looks so much better. Every time I would load Oblivion, the loading bar at the bottom showed the banding and it was driving me crazy and the sky textures as well. Not anymore! The text looks crisper as well. I never had cleartype enabled.

edit: Damn, I have a stuck red pixel directly in the middle of the screen. Looks like they will be sending me another one.

You could always try and fix that red pixel instead of going through the hassle of return/replacement.

Anyone who has recieved one recently: any signficant backlight bleeding?

I just received my 2007wfp recently and I have slight backlight bleeding in the lower right-hand corner. I'm very happy with this display since I have no dead pixels and slight banding if any that I can tell. If you're undecided whether to buy this panel or not, I say go ahead and make that purchase b/c I believe all the issues have been fixed from earlier revisions, and this is a monitor worth having!!

MJCfromCT said:
You could always try and fix that red pixel instead of going through the hassle of return/replacement.

I just tried rubbing it and using a color flashing program. They didn't work. I'll give Dell a call later tomorrow.

Sobek said:
I just tried rubbing it and using a color flashing program. They didn't work. I'll give Dell a call later tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. Luckily you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting a replacement monitor, thanks to Dell's policy.

Just got my 3rd 2007. This one's perfect as far as I can tell. Can't find any stuck or dead pixels with several apps that look for them so I'm happy.

Good for you! I forgot to post and say that my replacement A02 2007wfp works great in DVI, no banding! :D

Back