Dell 2001fp + Video Game System

NIGHTMARE2

Gawd
I was thinking about hooking up my PS2 via S-Video cable but I have to ask:

Where do I hook up my sound?

Thanks.

Do you have the add on optional sound bar? If not and you want to use your existing pc speakers you will have to buy a cable that converts your rca jacks into a stereo headphone jack. You can then plug in to your pc through the line in jack. It should be on your sound card if you have one. If not then next to your other peripheral cables.

As long as input signal is Dolby encoded and sound card can decode Dolby 5.1 then yes.

Does that Y cable have 6 connectors?

Skritch is right I was thinking of old Dolby prologic surround. With 5.1 either you have to have a digital output going to your sound card or six seperate channels/plugs. Doesn't the PS2 have digital out wire or is it optical?

Originally posted by Ramfart
Skritch is right I was thinking of old Dolby prologic surround. With 5.1 either you have to have a digital output going to your sound card or six seperate channels/plugs. Doesn't the PS2 have digital out wire or is it optical?

it's optical.

The most you'll be able to do is input the RCA-to-stereo converter into either a line-in input on a sound card, or to an auxilary input on the speakers. I have my PS2 hooked up directly to the speakers, so i can play games without the computer being on.

You CAN have your soundcard upmix to 5.1 or stereoX2. The optical input was also mentioned, however, unlike the xbox which outputs 5.1, the ps2 will only output 5.1 (optical) during movie playback. Translation: All PS2 games are stereo ANYWAY. At least that's what I got after searching online and reading the manual. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Such a bummer.

If it did output optical during games, you could connect that to an audigy platinum, or any other soundcard with a breakoutbox. Shweet..

All PS2 games are stereo ANYWAY. At least that's what I got after searching online and reading the manual. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Such a bummer. [/B]

There are ps2 games that are Dolby pro-logic encoded. No 5.1 surround games though.

Back