Dell 2001FP DVI Blanking Out

willie92

Limp Gawd
OK, so I've had my 2001 FP for about two years, it's recently started "blanking out" on me. I'll be working and the display will just disappear. I've got it hooked up to two 6800GT's running in SLI through DVI. If I unplug the DVI and plug in the D-SUB cable, I get the picture back.

At first I thought it might be my vid cards, but if it was that I shouldn't have a picture through the normal VGA D-SUB cable right? Is the monitor getting ready to give of the ghost or what... Any ideas?

The Display forumgoers don't seem to respond much to questions asking for assistance. Jizzing over the latest pics of someone's new LCD purchase seems to be a much more popular pursuit. That and bitching about/praising Dell LCDs.

That said, does the picture blank back out eventually after you switch to D-sub? Or do you switch to D-sub to get a picture and then plug DVI back in?

Thanks for the response Cbone... I'd almost given up (hence the tardiness of my reply)

It only blanks out on DVI. If I plug in the D-Sub, then it's fine. The odd thing is I have to shut down the computer to get DVI back--not just reboot. If I reboot then DVI still doesn't work. It seems to be related to the "stuck power save mode" because that's what comes up on the screen if I hit the menu button.

I'm still confused as to whether it's a monitor or vid card issue. The fact that I have to completely shut down leaves me wondering too. I would think a reboot would solve and vid card issues, but I'm not sure...

Any thoughts?

When I had my computer hooked up to my brother's 2001fp it did this to me. To fix it I switched to my other dvi port (I have two on my x1800xl). The weird thing was it wouldn't work on that same dvi port again so I thought my card was broken. But then the port still worked on every other monitor I tried it on and decided to work on the 2001fp later that week. He also gets weird artifacts sometimes when the monitor first turns on. So I am assuming its a chip inside the monitor going bad (the genesis chip maybe?). But he has never had the monitor blank out of him, so maybe the occurence is rare. If it's really a problem then maybe you should call dell and see what they can do for you. And make sure it happens on more than one computer.

I had a similar problem with a new 2001fp. When I would shut it off and then my pc would put the LCD into standby, when I would try to turn it back on the LCD would go green then amber. Eventually I could get it to go back on by turning it on and off many times. It only did this in DVI too.

I had Dell replace the LCD and it has not done it since. You should have a 3 year warranty. Get it replaced!

Back