Dell 1704FP vs. Samsung 710N vs. LG L1730B?

tejpis

n00b
The topic should be enough for you to understand my question :)
I've head some great stuff about all of these screens but I can't make up my mind on which I should buy, they all cost the same here in Sweden too so please dear [H]ard members, help me make up my mind ;)

I thought I'd be a good boy and include links to all screens so here they come:
Dell 1704FP
Samsung 710N
LG L1730B

Well based on specs I'd say the Dell is by far the best screen. Look at the contrast ratio, brightness, and the viewing angles. You also have the option of using DVI with the Dell which you don't have with the samsung. I haven't personally seen this specific Dell in action, but my experience has been that their LCDs are pretty good (most of them are made by Samsung or LG anyway).

I think your decision should probably be between the Samsung and the Dell, personally in this case I would go for the Dell. Samsung is a great brand of LCDs and has a deservedly strong following, but IMO this particular model is very basic and not in the same ballpark as the Dell when it comes to features (the same goes for the LG).

ajabbari said:
Well based on specs I'd say the Dell is by far the best screen. Look at the contrast ratio, brightness, and the viewing angles. You also have the option of using DVI with the Dell which you don't have with the samsung. I haven't personally seen this specific Dell in action, but my experience has been that their LCDs are pretty good (most of them are made by Samsung or LG anyway).

I think your decision should probably be between the Samsung and the Dell, personally in this case I would go for the Dell. Samsung is a great brand of LCDs and has a deservedly strong following, but IMO this particular model is very basic and not in the same ballpark as the Dell when it comes to features (the same goes for the LG).
Super! I'm gonna order it in two weeks so you guys on this board still have time to convince to buy another one. :rolleyes:

edit: Ouch! Response time/ Viewing Angle: 25ms typical / +/-89° (vertical) typ, +/-89° (horizontal) typ.

25 ms, that is OLD NEWS... Oh, man - this is the hardest decision in my life so far (no my life is not very exciting) :D

The Dell has the best picture overall but has a slow response time (it obviously uses a different type of matrix than the other two) so if you're a gamer it's not a good choice. In that case, I'd go with the 1730B for it looks and the fact that it has DVI while the 710N doesn't.

Roger said:
The Dell has the best picture overall but has a slow response time (it obviously uses a different type of matrix than the other two) so if you're a gamer it's not a good choice. In that case, I'd go with the 1730B for it looks and the fact that it has DVI while the 710N doesn't.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I have some gaming periods in my life but not constantly, so maybe I'll buy the Dell and when I'm really eager to play I'll just take out my 19" CRT from the closet. I play maybe 2-3% of my computer time so it's not that important.
The LG and Dell definately got the advantage over Samsung in looks as far as I can tell! It's a shame I don't know any place where you can test Dell screens though...

if gaming isn't important get the dell.

its ergonomic facture is one of the best on any lcd period.

THe Dell is an PVA panel, according to people on the Dell forums. It is therefore made by Samsung (haha) since they made PVA by improving PVA panels. It has bad response time (typical of MVA/PVA) and good color quality (8-bit panel).

The samsung 710N / 710T have worse color quality (thanks to the 6-bit panel). If you can spend the extra $100ish and get the 710T over the 710N as digital makes a big difference, esp. with ghosting according to reviews (particlary reviews from anandtech.com) for this particular model.

I don't really know much about LG

I've been having the same debate and am really waiting until I can get color quality and repsonse time all in one awesome LCD.

at my college, our computer lab has the Dell monitors. They look really good. don't know about ghosting cause they're inly used for web and apps. the computers they are hooked to probably don't even have DVI so it's most likely being used in analog. aside from that, they look pretty nice.

i have a 710t and the dvi is worth it, i am so in love with this thing im thinking about getting a second one.

I just picked up a dell 1704 monitor and its going right back. Text/web looks TERRIBLE on it. Games are fine, didn't notice any problems. Its dvi on my video card and i have setup lcds before so i have a general idea of what they look like. The 1-2year old 1800fp dell i use at work is a lot better in quality when it comes to viewing text then this brand new 1704. Its bad enough that i'll go back to my old 17" crt.

Where is this rumor perpetuated that the Dell 1704FPT has a response time of 25 ms? Here's a link to the OFFICIAL Dell specifications and they say that it has a response time of 12 ms.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications

I believe the reason that people think the 1704 has a 25 ms response time is because the 1703 does, but they are slightly different monitors.

Allright, I have had my Dell 1704FPT ever since Christmas, and I love it. Ghosting is very very hard to see. Text looks very sharp, images look great, and the display is very nice and bright. It has both vga and dvi input, of course if you have any sense you're going to use the dvi. Overall I've been very happy with this monitor and I highly recommend it. No problems here.

I havent seen any of the other 2 monitors, so I cant compare how they stack up with the 1704. But based on my personal experience with it, I can vouch that it's an excellent monitor.

jhokie said:
Where is this rumor perpetuated that the Dell 1704FPT has a response time of 25 ms? Here's a link to the OFFICIAL Dell specifications and they say that it has a response time of 12 ms.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications

I believe the reason that people think the 1704 has a 25 ms response time is because the 1703 does, but they are slightly different monitors.

Allright, I have had my Dell 1704FPT ever since Christmas, and I love it. Ghosting is very very hard to see. Text looks very sharp, images look great, and the display is very nice and bright. It has both vga and dvi input, of course if you have any sense you're going to use the dvi. Overall I've been very happy with this monitor and I highly recommend it. No problems here.

I havent seen any of the other 2 monitors, so I cant compare how they stack up with the 1704. But based on my personal experience with it, I can vouch that it's an excellent monitor.

The Dell™ UltraSharp™ 1704FPV 17-inch Flat Panel Monitor redefines the performance of LCD displays with a stylish new Dell industrial design, advanced functionality and the best in LCD panel technology. It utilizes an Active Matrix TFT LCD that delivers distortion-free, clear images with a maximum resolution up to 1280x1024 pixels and fast 25 ms response time.

Thats copy and pasted from Dell.com about the 1704FPV.....you said the FPT though, is that different or is that a typo?

I'm talking about the monitor I linked to in my original post... it's listed as the 1704FPT
Here's a pasting of the specs from that link (response time is at the very bottom):

Screen type Active matrix - TFT LCD
Screen dimensions 17 inches (17-inch viewable image size)
Preset display area:
Horizontal
337 mm (13.3 inches)
Vertical
270 mm (10.6 inches)
Pixel pitch 0.264 mm
Viewing angle 130° (vertical) typ, 140° (horizontal) typ

Luminance output 300 CD/m ²(typ)

Contrast ratio 500 to 1 (typ)

Faceplate coating Antiglare with hard-coating 3H

Backlight CCFL (4) edgelight system
Response Time 12 ms typical

If Dell has made errors with regards to the specifications of this monitor, and posted conflicting specs, perhaps someone should email them for a clarification. I will do this later tonight when I get home.

Ah, you are absolutely right, my fault. The thread starter actually just called it the 1704FP, and i actually had no idea that there was any further variation. Apparently the monitor I have at home is a slightly different monitor with a slightly better response rate. Perhaps the one I got is only currently available with Dell systems. It is a nice monitor, but I guess I can't comment on how the 1704FPV stacks up, except to say that i may be using a monitor that is somewhat similiar. Good luck with whatever monitor you choose!

Did you ever settle on what monitor to get? I just got a viewsonic va721 and the text is total crap. Im looking at the Dell 1704FPV and the samsung 710N2.

hey i just bought the samsng 710N, and i'm not overly impressed with it. i'm thinking of returning it an get the dell 1704FPT for dvi features

All you guys with text viewing problems, do you have it set to it's native resolution? A 17" LCD usually has to be set to 1280x1024 to get a good picture. Anything else usually produces crap. Also, cleartype helps. If you don't want to set for a resolution that high, I hear that you can acually use half native resolution and it still work darn well.

Back