Deleting files does not return disk space

roaf85

2[H]4U
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I am working with 10.4 and 10.5 OSX here at work and I have 3 drives.

1 is FAT
the other 2 are MAC OS Extended (Journaled)

I am trying to reimage computers, and because of the file size limitation of FAT (4 GB) I can not use that drive.

For some reason if I delete files off the 2 MAC OS Ext. formatted drives it does not return the disk space until I reformat.

Please tell me this is not the way this is intended to work?

I assume you're emptying your trash? Files technically stay on the drive until you do that...sorry if that's too obvious, but figured I'd start with that.

Sorry I forgot to be more specific. The drives I am working with are external drives. I am not emptying the trash as when I delete a file from the drive it does not go to trash can. Would I still have to empty the trash?

Sorry I forgot to be more specific. The drives I am working with are external drives. I am not emptying the trash as when I delete a file from the drive it does not go to trash can. Would I still have to empty the trash?

Deleting files in the Finder sends them to the trash regardless of whether the drives are external or not.

Unless you are deleting them from the Terminal, you should empty the trash.

I had the same problems on my external USB keys... Essentially, OS X just turned them invisible but I could still find them on there w/ my Windows box... Emptying the trash would do the trick.

deleting the trash did the trick. I knew it was something stupid. Between all my file formats I got confused. Thanks guys, although I did think it is a poor design decision on the MAC side.

It doesn't go to your trash can because each volume has its own .trashes directory and only the ones from your main drives are tied to the system's trash icon. Unless you turn off the trash all together, there's no way to avoid this, AFAIK.

It doesn't go to your trash can because each volume has its own .trashes directory and only the ones from your main drives are tied to the system's trash icon. Unless you turn off the trash all together, there's no way to avoid this, AFAIK.

If I delete something on my externals, it goes to the trash..

If I delete something on my externals, it goes to the trash..

What partition format? Maybe it's just something that happens on my system (though the OP seems to be experiencing it too).

Back