Deleting Facebook App Could Save 20 Percent Of Your Android's Battery Life

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The Facebook app for Android must be of alien origin, since their own designers know full well how bad it is but can’t seem to fix or even improve it. If you must check the social network on your mobile device, you’re better off just using the mobile site or getting a wrapper app.

Holly found that his Android’s performance and battery life improved dramatically when the Facebook app was removed from the phone. A group of Redditors subsequently jumped in with tests of their own and reported dramatically improved performance when the app was deleted. For TWZ’s latest trial the writer tried out the Metal app for Android, which is just a wrapper for Facebook’s mobile site. Using a Huawei Nexus 6P for testing, the phone had 20% more battery life over the course of a day. This remained true every day over the course of a week.

2. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Apt punishment for using Facebook.

Chupachup likes this.
  3. Probleminfected

Probleminfected [H]ard|Gawd

Deleting Facebook can make your life 20% more happy.

4. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

How can you delete that which has never been installed? ;)

Talyrius, ZodaEX, Nobu and 3 others like this.
  5. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

Logging onto facebook through your web browser works just fine. But the fact that it draws so much battery is infuriating.

6. Bageland2000

Bageland2000 Limp Gawd

I'm just never going to download a single app, I'll have the experience that LG intended...

westrock2000 likes this.
  7. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Deleting Facebook App Could Save 20 Percent Of Your Android's Battery Life and 80% of your sanity.

PNut12345, CaptNumbNutz and Chupachup like this.
  8. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

My wife regularly blows through her 4GB monthly limit and she all does is facebook and messaging. It's crazy how much data that app pulls through (and texting pictures all the time).

9. Skripka

Skripka [H]ardForum Junkie

Depending on the phone and carrier...it may come stock to start with.

10. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire 2[H]4U

just get tinfoil for facebook. It's a web wrapper that works for facebook without the annoyance of it running in the background or having push notifications.

You're welcome

11. AMv8(1day)

AMv8(1day) [H]Lite

I am almost positive that 20% is an overly conservative number. For general quality of life improvement. I can't speak to the battery life improvement as I have been begrudgingly running the Facebook Lite app pretty much since ver. 1.0.

12. AK0tA

AK0tA Gawd

Uninstalled FB app a long time ago and actually started talking to people. oh the horror.

Ocellaris and Chupachup like this.
  13. Chupachup

Chupachup Limp Gawd

I think it's absolutely funny that this is news to anyone after so many years! The FB app has always been known as a battery drainer. Even more so when they broke Messenger out into its own app. The people and friends that want or need to contact me immediately know they can do so by texting or simply calling me directly. IF there is a need for me to visit FB on my phone, it'll be through the browser which is immediately closed when I'm done. Messenger Mobile...NEVER! #FBCanSuckIt

Nobu and CaptNumbNutz like this.
  14. Borgschulze

Borgschulze 2[H]4U

If you change the permissions of the app to never keep awake, and never wake the device, it isn't even noticeable.

15. BloodDonor

BloodDonor Limp Gawd

I have a Huawei P9... it has a white list of apps you allow to run when the phone locks... It's a handy feature... I set Facebook to not be whitelisted

16. B00nie

How can you unsee what you've never seen?

Chupachup likes this.
  17. B00nie

Better to put tinfoil around the head and delete facebook. Accounts and all. You won't regret it.

18. bos

bos Limp Gawd

Just install an older version, I'm about 13 versions behind for exactly this reason. Every time I'd update it'd get worse.

19. AK0tA

AK0tA Gawd

You are missing out on the latest fake news cycle from the latest updates then. The good side is that new and fresh recipies of what people are eating is back.

20. ChronoDetector

ChronoDetector 2[H]4U

Not impresed with the Facebook app or their stupid Messenger app, if I watnt to access my Facebook messages I just use the "view desktop site" feature, never liked the Messenger app and their Facebook app offers nothing new over their mobile website anyway.

21. Gorankar

Gorankar [H]ardForum Junkie

One of the first programs I disable. I uninstall or disable pretty much all of the social media programs that come pre-loaded on a phone.

22. mynamehere

mynamehere [H]ard|Gawd

Just one more way that FB is a drain on society.

Chupachup likes this.
  23. Bageland2000

Bageland2000 Limp Gawd

This is why we can't have nice things.

Chupachup likes this.
  24. TheGamerZ

TheGamerZ [H]ardness Supreme

This just in, the sun is hot!

Chupachup likes this.
  25. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

mbasic.facebook.com
    Mobile facebook with notifications and messaging, without the javascripts and auto-play videos. Only downside is if you navigate away from your feed and go back, it'll be completely different content (for the most part), but i suppose that's a problem with any version of the site.

Really wish they didn't discontinue their xmpp tunnel--it was nice to be able to use a chat app that I'd have installed anyway to talk with friends, even as rarely as that was on facebook. The facebook app wasn't an option even if it was the only chat app I had, just terrible.

26. sleepeeg3

sleepeeg3 [H]ardness Supreme

Just add a link to your homescreen.

Chupachup likes this.
  27. Chupachup

Chupachup Limp Gawd

Then the question would be, "Why install and use the app at all, when you could simply use the browser on your phone?"

28. Nobified[H]

Nobified[H] [H]ard|Gawd

You facebook users are forgetting something else. Facebook has the ability to follow users and none users. Peace and quiet has a beautiful calming effect. Try it sometime and maybe a bottle of scotch.

Hummmmmm....

29. firas

firas 2[H]4U

and how much you'll lag in games while she's doing it :banghead:

30. If you are a guy, and you have ever had a gf, you know the planet is doomed. And it might not be a bad thing. Melancholia.

31. B00nie

On a side note I really feel sorry for you guys who have data caps. Having unlimited full speed LTE is so cool.

32. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

Can you still use the stand alone messenger app without FB installed?

33. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

Yes, I use Messenger rarely when my wife sends me something and I do not have the FB app installed.

Chapeau likes this.
  34. ezikiel

ezikiel n00b

Actually Messenger is heavier than Facebook, so to completely improve battery life, as well as time, cost savings, you should use Facebook Lite as mentioned above AMV8 (1day) said. Find out more here http://facebooklite.playstoredownloadappfree.net/