Deleted user, Exchange 2003 mailbox problem

bealzz

Gawd
Hi everyone,
I'm stuck on a problem that I've been trying to fix over the last little while now to no avail.
I'll try and describe the problem as best as possible in hopes that someone might know what to do... so heres what happened

A user's account got screwed up, so I deleted it so I could recreate an account for him using the same username. I forgot to use exchange tasks to remove\change permissions on his mailbox on our server, so now there is a mailbox sitting there with no way to access it.

I've tried going through server manager but when I go to right click and select exchange tasks on the mailbox in question I don't get any options. If it is possible the best thing that could happen would be for a way to make it so that the new account (same login name and everything, but with a different SID) has access to the old mailbox, and if not at least for a way to delete the mailbox so that I can recover it and change its permissions (which I can't do because there are no exchange tasks associated with it)

Thanks anyone that can help!

in Exchange system manager right click on the mailboxes folder where the mailbox resides and run mailbox cleanup agent. Give that some time to process and then go and try and reconnect the mailbox.

Go into Exchange System Manager

Drill down Organization - Servers - ServerName - First Storage Group - Mailbox Store - Mailboxes

Find the mailbox (should have a red X icon next to it) and right-click and choose Reconnect

At this point you should be able to reconnect the mailbox to the new account.

If you do not have deleted mailbox recovery enabled then you probably are out of luck.

Back