Deleted File/Partition recovery software? Anyone know of anything good?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by zamardii, Sep 16, 2009.

1. zamardii

zamardii 2[H]4U

I don't need this particular software, but i'm basically just looking for a program that can see all the files i've ever deleted from the trash bin and perhaps from a past partition as well.

I talked to a friend of mine who said he used to have some software which was able to show all the previous partitions you had and basically recover any file ever put on your computer. He said this program showed the partitioning history of the hard drive and the files that were on the computer during that partition.

Does anyone know of any such software? I've gone through 5+ programs and none of them can recover or even see the file name of what the file I used to have on there was called. I'm trying to recover a old avi file and a old html file but of all the programs I used, none of them have produced a filename I recognize and I remember what it was called.

P.S. This isn't neccessary at all (it would only be ideal), but it'd be nice if there was a program that was basically like window's integrated search where you can search for all or part of a filename but it will look for it through every deleted file ever on the computer.

Any suggestions please? Thanks!

2. keenan

keenan 2[H]4U

There's no such thing as magic. If the stuff is recently deleted it's probably possible to recover it, but as time goes on the probability of it being overwritten approaches 1. Getting past that 1 means doing actual forensics with a dismantled or modified drive. In practice you can usually get back small files that have been deleted recently, beyond that there's not much hope.

Try TestDisk and/or PhotoRec.

3. ChappyChaps11

ChappyChaps11 Limp Gawd

Free Undelete

Ive used it to recoved quite a few things. Also if you are willing to spend the money there are several professional suites. I bought one for 250$ and it can recover lost raids, partitions, ect.

It really depends on how serious you are about recovery. Also you can look up data recovery services in your local area, generally they will look at your hard drive for free and give you an estimate.

4. TC10284

TC10284 Limp Gawd

Not really a program that can do that. Best bet is to try data recovery utils. But as mentioned, the longer the time it has been since it was deleted, the chances of recovery become less and less as time goes on.
    Free:
    Testdisk
    DiskDigger
    eData Unerase
    SoftPerfect File Recovery
    Roadkils Undelete
    FreeUndelete
    NTFS Undelete
    PC Inspector File Recovery
    Recuva

Paid:
    EasyRecovery Pro
    GetDataBack
    RAID Reconstructor
    Zero Assumption Recovery

5. mtasquared

mtasquared [H]Lite

Ontrack's Easy Recovery Pro will do pretty much everything you describe.

It starts at $89 for the lite version. It is definitely more powerful than the free programs.

Now use this knowledge for the forces of good, lol.