Deleted account but kept files, folder disappeared, Windows 7

DreamBliss

Limp Gawd
This is regarding acmputer I was working on running Windows 7.

I was trying to create two accounts, one for one person, the other for two.

I found out that for some reason the exact same folder and file brought up different information on another account, making it impossible for me to set two accounts up until I read up on the subject.

So I delete the new account I had added, but told it to keep the files. Then I took the folder that had the files from the account and put that in the Windows/Users folder. Then I opened said folder, and discovered an important folder had gone missing.

It is not in the Recycle Bin and I did not select to delete it. Obviously the best approach is to use a Windows XP disc or thumbdrive based OS, copy the entire contents of a hard drive onto some massive exterior hard drive, so that I can never loose anything like this, because apparently folders and files are going to go missing in Windows 7.

Well I know what to do next time. What I do not know is how to recover the missing information. Do I need some outside program, or is there a way in Windows to do this? Not system back up or savepoints or any of that garbage either. I never run that Windows backup stuff, and I have it turned off on this computer.

How do I recover this missing folder, and any other missing stuff from when the account, but not teh files, were deleted? Links to tutorials, especially video, much appreciated.

That "garbage" would have come in handy here. You can try something like Recuva or GetDataBack and see if you can locate the missing data.

First rule of thumb: Never store anything important in user profile folders.

Back