Degraded picture quality when viewing large thumbnails

Hi, I mainly use my computer for photo editing and web browsing, I've got 1000's of photos that I'm constantly viewing and working with.

I've noticed that when I increase the thumbnails of the photos I'm viewing to the largest size that it can go the picture quality deteriorates, it becomes slightly blurry, it looks as though its being interpolated and not displaying the actual photo.

When I decrease the thumbnail size halfway it becomes shaper but when I increase it again it just looks as though it's simply interpolating the image.

The issue is that I like to display my thumbnails at the largest size and it's frustrating to see a decrease in the picture quality, I dont notice it in the photo gallery.

My monitor is an Nec 2490, I've got the dpi setting at 120 dpi, I've notice that when I have it set to 144 dpi I dont notice the decrease in picture quality. Does anyone notice this as well? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stu

my guess is the thumbnails are a set size, so resizing the thumbnail near its native size will look sharper than when you make it larger than its native size. and the actually display size (Small/ Medium etc..) in explorer is just a zoom feature.

Thanks for the response. so I assume that when I set my computer to 144 dpi then the native thumbnail size increases?

What system are you running? Is this in Windows Explorer?

If you're running Windows, and the thumbnails are cached at a small size, if you make them bigger it will just stretch out the small thumbs. You'd need to rebuild your thumbnail cache.

TechStuey.. i started looking into it last night and i came across very little involving the size of the thumbnails in windows, there seems to be some sizing utilities..

but then i came across that there are 4 different thumbnail sizes, one is a 1024x1024 thumbnail... but i didn't come across anything that would let you preferentially choose that resolution of thumbnail..

go into the registering into HK_KEY/CURRENT_USERS/Software/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/ and see if there is a thumbnail directory..

under there , there should be thumbnail max cache sizes for the 4 different size thumbnail databases (located in your USER/APPDATE/Local/Windows/Explorer/ maybe taking the 96/256 etc.. size down and the 1024 up you can increase the size of hte thumbnails..

the only thing i don't think you can do is a referesh of the thumbnails.. you'd have to look that one up (maybe just delete the thumbnail.db files)..

What system are you running? Is this in Windows Explorer?

If you're running Windows, and the thumbnails are cached at a small size, if you make them bigger it will just stretch out the small thumbs. You'd need to rebuild your thumbnail cache.

Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention that my computer's running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I'm using Windows Explorer.

Back