degauss a tv w/o degauss feature?

DatHak512

Gawd
okay... i have a tv that's mine if i can fix it.. only the color is all messed up. so.

does anyone know how to degauss the television using something else than the "degauss" button? (which this tv does not have)
much thanks

after having thoroughly looked at the tv and its model, i've come to the conclusion that it is not worth the time to degauss it.... simply give it to your uncle alex to take to the dump...

- Sniper

You need to get a degaussing coil, which is basically the same thing as the degaussing coil inside tvs and monitors except it is something you wave in front of the tv. Electronics stores should have it and it should come with instructions. If not, check around online.

so what if you stole a degaussing coil out of an old computer crt monitor that you dont need anymore? Would this have the same effect as one you buy at the store?

Waving a magnet in front of a TV you want to keep isn't highly recommended. (This is all a degausser really is) So maybe you wanna read up a bit on the subject.
Dunno where y'all live, but I haven't seen a degausser for sale outside of a TV repair shop in years.

My local electronics supply house, eskc has a degaussing coil in stock, so I'm sure you could find one where you live. A degaussing coil may not be worth it, though, for just one tv. There are some driver components associated with a degaussing coil, so pulling one from an old tv and using it would probably be more than trivial. There are methods to degauss using a permanent magnet, but they don't always work as well as with a degaussing coil and it is much easier to make the situation worse than better. You might be able to take the tv to an electronics repair shop(if you can even find one of those anymore) and have the tv degaussed cheaper than it would be to buy your own coil.

I haven't tried it so I don't know if it will work or not, but a professor of mine said it would work. He's a EE professor so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

If you have an electric pencil sharpener you could hold it a few inches in front of the TV, start it up by jamming a pencil in it, and then slowly pull it back from the TV. The varying magnetic field of the sharpener should act similarly to that of a degaussing coil.

BobbyD said:
I haven't tried it so I don't know if it will work or not, but a professor of mine said it would work. He's a EE professor so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

If you have an electric pencil sharpener you could hold it a few inches in front of the TV, start it up by jamming a pencil in it, and then slowly pull it back from the TV. The varying magnetic field of the sharpener should act similarly to that of a degaussing coil.

electric motor :)

well i think i'll try and use the pencil sharpener trick. that looks like the cheapest way to go about it. 'course, as the saying goes "you get what you pay for..." but i guess i'll find out shortly. now if i can just find an electric pencil sharpener / plug-in electric motor somewhere around here.... actually i wonder if an electric fish air-pump will work, since i know they just are basically a box with an oscillating magnetic field inside of them.. i know we have one of those around. only one way to find out.

mmm, i was a tech at best buy for a few years (i know, that's not saying much), but degaussing coils work wonders (if the problem keep reoccurring, you're screwed). I don't ever remember charging someone to degauss their tv. it might be worth a drive to a local shop or even best buy to just ask if they'd do it for $10 or something.

A simple and safe method is, grab a monitor that has a degauss feature. Place it with the tube as close to the TV tube as you can. Press the degauss, you may need to do it a few times.

m1abram said:
A simple and safe method is, grab a monitor that has a degauss feature. Place it with the tube as close to the TV tube as you can. Press the degauss, you may need to do it a few times.

uhhh.....?

kleptophobiac said:
uhhh.....?

That hard to understand. Use a monitor that has degauss to degauss a monitor/TV that does not.

Place the face of the tubes very close together (touching) and degauss the monitor, the TV will be degaussed in the process. Try it, it is safe.

Back