Defgrag..Defrag...Defrag!!

Just had to say this:

Got my main rig in my sig and got my lady's laptop I use for web surfin. Hers is all in Japanese( Fujitsu FMV-Biblo-NB50E) so I could'nt defrag cuz I could'nt read nothing. Anyway....i downloaded O&O Defrag freeware and this laptop was needing it baaaaad...I did a frag and it is flying right along :) Dont underestimate the frag!!!

Phoenix86 said:
Call it a PSA. Lots of people forget.

:)

Yup....public service anouncment!

One time I needed to defrag and then I did it and I was like happy, so yea, defrag.

~Adam

CleanSlate said:
One time I needed to defrag and then I did it and I was like happy, so yea, defrag.

~Adam

I second that :D

I defrag once every 3 months if I was to take a guess on how often I do it.

Well, Since I defrag with O&O every Saturday Night while I am watching my Anime.... I never have a problem with fragmented files ever...

Always got to keep that stuff neat. Performance > all

Defraging is done every week or two for me, I move large *cough* files onto my HD alot and everytime any file is downloaded it needs to be defraged.

~Adam

Encourage your relatives and friends to do it also. Whenever I work on a system for one of my family members or friends they usually quite fragmented and take twice as long to get anything done until I defrag the thing. Many people don't seem to know it exists and others have actually been told by "experts" that it will hurt your hard drive if you do it.

Remembe,r its BAD when 85% of your used harddrive space is fragmented.

It was easier just to wipe and reinstall than to defrag that bastard! :D

rofl, yea it's bad when a defrag turns into like 10 because it's that badly convoluted.

Thoughts on diskeeper over the MS included defrag? I got diskeeper and I like it alot more for w/e reason, but doesn't seem too different. I dont have scheduled defrags set or anything.

2nd hand programs are worthless, why buy somehting to do somethign you already can do? Now if it can do something the ms program can't then tell me.

~Adam

The built in defrag for Windows XP was created by Microsoft and Executive Software. Just go into defragmenter, click help>about, and you will notice that this appears:

Windows Disk Defragmenter
Copyright (c) 2001 Microsoft Corp. and Executive Software International, Inc.

There are more features with the Diskkeeper software from ES, which I am not sure of, since I use the built in one :)

Confusedsoul

Hi, my name is FiZ and I'm a defragaholic. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?

CleanSlate said:
2nd hand programs are worthless, why buy somehting to do somethign you already can do? Now if it can do something the ms program can't then tell me.

~Adam
O&O Professional Defrag makes the XP Defrag look like a POS. I bought O &O 3 years ago and have never looked back. You can set O&O to Defrag by filename, last accessed, last modified, date. You can set it to Defrag your MFT files, which can only be done during boot, and MS cannot do that. You can set it defrag on a timed basis, say every M, T, F at 300am. It can run in the background, while you're doing other stuff.

You can D/L a Trial version for 30 days, and then buy it if you like it.

CleanSlate said:

~Adam
You need to download a trial copy of Diskeeper before you ever type such blasphemy again!

You should search google for DIRMS and Buzzsaw. Buzzsaw is a really neat on-the-fly defragger that works really well. Defrag using DIRMS first, then put Buzzsaw in your Startup folder so it will run every time you start your PC. Buzzsaw will run in the background and defrag as you go. I've noticed decreased loading times after using Buzzsaw, maybe because it will move some files to the front of the disk. It might be placebo as well, but overall, my fragmentation is much less than before, even when downloading files and ripping vids (not copy protected of course....).

FiZ said:
Hi, my name is FiZ and I'm a defragaholic. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?

LOL FiZ :D

I defrag every friday with a scheduled task, works great

qdemn7 said:
O&O Professional Defrag makes the XP Defrag look like a POS. I bought O &O 3 years ago and have never looked back. You can set O&O to Defrag by filename, last accessed, last modified, date. You can set it to Defrag your MFT files, which can only be done during boot, and MS cannot do that. You can set it defrag on a timed basis, say every M, T, F at 300am. It can run in the background, while you're doing other stuff.

You can D/L a Trial version for 30 days, and then buy it if you like it.
well all that sounds cool, but does it actually perform any better then the Window's one?

EnderW said:
well all that sounds cool, but does it actually perform any better then the Window's one?
Yes. For starters is can defrag your page file, where the built in one can't. It's much better, give it a spin.

EnderW said:
Yep defrags lots faster, and it can run in the background, so you don't have to sit and wait. What do you have to loose? It's free for 30 days. You don't like that, give Diskeeper a try.

I'm not really concerned about speed, since I like to have mine set to automatically run every week while I'm at work

my main concern is pure performance - how well it can defrag the drive

the ability to defrag the page file sounds interesting, I think I'll give it a try

It also provides different sorting priorities. IE defrag to make more contigous free space, another my access times, lots of additional *features* not fluff.

Sorting for free space will make the fragmentation process run faster/more effective on subsequent run because of the extra contigous free space. There is more room to rebuild a contigous file. Heck, sometimes I have seen systems with nearly full drives that the built in defrag can't help because there simple is not contigous free space to defragment a file into. After eleventy billion passes the built in defrag will help, but a defrag for free space, than a normal one will get you the same place faster.

CleanSlate said:

~Adam

Try defragging a 70% full 1TB volume with the built-in defragging tool. Diskeeper Enterprise Edition can handle really, really big volumes that built-in can't even analyze.

I defrag regularly but there is no particular schedule. Sometimes its daily, sometimes its weekly -- it all depends on what I have done and what I am doing. Generally I will run a defrag before burning a CD/DVD or after a cleanup.

For years I've been using VoptXP and it does me fine. I've tried DK, O&O, PerfectDisk, etc but have always returned to VoptXP because its just so darn fast. My drives are partitioned and C is quite small, so the job gets done in less than a minute usually. I'm not interested in scheduling or automation either, I'm just a do-it-manually kinda guy. :D

I have Diskeeper running on my home gaming system and have never noticed a slowdown due to fragmentation (or to diskeeper running). Its scheduling works wonders.

Interesting extra features, perhaps they could be worth it in some instances afterall.

~Adam

Diskeeper Rocks. It also defrags directory files and MFT on boot. built-in cannot do that. Accessing fragmented directory files for a 25K file directory HURTS. when they're contiguous, it makes brains happy.

Back