Defective Intel X-25 160GB SSD?

Vittra

Gawd
I had purchased an Intel X-25 G2 160GB a few days ago, and had the opportunity to update the firmware and install Windows 7 on it.. unfortunately it would not allow me to do so. Regardless of trying AHCI or IDE, as well as having both other hard drives unplugged and plugged in during the install, (74GB Raptor and 500GB Seagate), I would continuously receive the following error:

"Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation" (Error Code: 0x8007045D)

Thinking it may be a problem with the DVD itself, I tried installing Vista as I knew that DVD is fine, but I received the same error. CrystalDiskInfo shows nothing wrong with the drive, and the SMART report on the Intel Toolbox shows everything being fine. The drive however does NOT pass the Read Scan test in the Intel Toolbox (fails within 10 seconds), and I've noticed when copying files to the drive it is abysmally slow, as well as deletion of files.

I tried running HDDerase to secure erase the drive, but this did not help unfortunately. Anyone have any ideas, or is this drive effectively just a defective one?

Last edited:
Those errors shouldn't be present...SMART should be all green and you should pass read and data integrity tests.

Are the discs you're attempting to install with factory made or burned from an .iso? If you burned them yourself using the official .iso, your ssd is fine, you just need to burn the .iso with a slower speed (like 2x).

However, if the discs are straight out of a windows box, then I'd be inclined to blame the drivers or the drive itself. It will ask before install begins if you need any drivers, you can put a usb stick in with the driver install on it and the installer will take care of the rest.

Windows 7 is factory stamped, Vista is self-burned. This seems to go beyond just not being able to install Windows however since it is not passing the tests on the Intel Toolbox as well.

Did you have all the drives plugged in when installing Windows 7? I got a similar error message and, to my limited understanding, W7 was putting system files on a separate drive partition and it was throwing it for a loop during install.

I disconnected the other drives with just the SSD plugged in and the install completed without a hitch. This was on a first gen X-25 80GB.

I tried both with them all installed, and also with just the SSD installed, and unfortunately I get the same result.

It's looking like it may just be a defective drive. :(

if the drive is failing a test with the OEM testing software, there is something wrong with the drive. plain and simple.

Are you asking about which test its failing? or what the oem test software is?

I was hoping he found a "Seatools" for Intel G1 units. :)

Vittra, sorry but it sounds like your drive faulty. I haven't had the pleasure of working with Intel for an RMA but I wish you luck!

Just a little update - apparently, it isn't the drives, something else in my computer is the issue.

I received a replacement and it is causing the same issue. Curious about this, I took it to work to install Windows 7 on a separate machine - worked flawlessly and CrystalDiskMark shows the drive running as it should be.

I suspect my motherboard isn't playing nice here. I'm running a Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Edition, and I recall this motherboard giving issue with specific hard drives in the past. I know that Western Digitals other than Raptors were known to not run with this board (which is why I have the 500GB Seagate). The Bios has been updated to no avail. Fairly annoying, since I wasn't planning on upgrading but things may have changed. At least I know it isn't the SSD though. :D

I received a replacement
WoW! That was quick!

I took it to work to install Windows 7 on a separate machine - worked flawlessly
We shoulda tried that first and kept the RMA step for a later date.

I'm running a Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Edition, and I recall this motherboard giving issue with specific hard drives in the past.
I wasn't aware of any issues with that board and various HDs.

You don't have one of those quirky P35 MBs that has to have an IDE optical drive to install a fresh OS....do you? My last Abit P35 Pro was like that.

I'm actually using an IDE optical drive so it shouldn't be an issue, but that's still good to know, since I was considering switching to a SATA one. Just in case though, tonight I'm going to try putting the install a USB Key and trying from there just to see what happens.

I'm leaning heavily towards it being some type of controller issue with the motherboard at this point though (perhaps even something specific to the motherboard I own rather than in general). I suppose it COULD be a faulty sata/power cable, but I was just using them with the Raptor so it seems unlikely. Nothing else really comes to mind as being the problem :confused:

I'm actually using an IDE optical drive so it shouldn't be an issue, but that's still good to know, since I was considering switching to a SATA one.
Not all MBs were like that.

I'm leaning heavily towards it being some type of controller issue with the motherboard at this point though
I dunno. I had SSDs on my P35 chipset with no problems but if your board was HD picky....who knows.

The drive however does NOT pass the Read Scan test in the Intel Toolbox (fails within 10 seconds), and I've noticed when copying files to the drive it is abysmally slow, as well as deletion of files.
I keep coming back to that statement. Have you tried any testing again....different ports maybe?

I haven't actually, I had moved it to the first sata port to update the firmware and haven't changed it since. I'll definitely have to try that as well and see.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way, appreciate it! Hopefully I can get it running in some way :D

Switched the SSD to Sata Port 2, and installed via USB Key. It worked, although it went really slowly. Upon getting into Win7 I ran CrystalDiskMark and as I suspected write speeds were incredibly slow:

CrystalDiskMark.jpg

So close but so far :D. I should just get another motherboard and be done with it.

Is this thread a discussion about your board?

Asus P5K Deluxe and P5K Premium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say this again and I will say it many times again.

The P5K Premium has a serious sata hardware problem, if you do get the board make sure you get the board version A03 with the 0302 bios. Read up on the asus forums for more info.

Even if it says V2.0 make sure it says A03 on the board, anything less and you will be forced to use sata in ide mode or face sata problems.

This board is known as the Black Eye Edition, take it from me and others who have been through all this mess and make sure you get the proper version.

The Black Eye Edition? :D

Back