Defective i7 advice.....

archalien

n00b
Hey all,

I got a core i7 3770k, installed in gigabyte z77x-ud5h-tab with a corsair h100i and a power color radeon 7970. I'm running virtumvp for 3x display with one coming via dp on the thunderbolt from the hd4000 grfx.

When I set everything up fist time all was good, on a subsequent boot I let gigabyte optimize my over clock that's when I started noticing no load grfx corruption in the lower right corner of the monitor using the hd4000. My initial assumption was the over clock was a bit much for the hd4000 was overheating and causing the corruption. So I upped the cooling. Although even over clocked my process temp never got above 50c, adding extra cooling on the proc reduced the grfx corruption but even at an idle 36-38c it didn't get rid of it. Frustrated I set everything back to stock speeds and it went away.

Fast forward mb was defective, swapped out for new one, used premium thermal compound, but grfx corruption is back at stock clocks and voltages and turbo charging the cooler doesn't have effect...max rpm keeps process at bout 34-36c idle.

The corruption persists no matter the grfx config or port used when the hd4000 is driving a monitor.

my mb has some great settings for just the integrated grfx, but I don't want to touch those w/o some [H]ard advice. While I would like to over clock, quiet stable operation is more important to me. I never pushed this rig with over clocks or a load so I can't see that I damaged anything. Everything I know tells me I just have a defective i7......

But I was hoping to get some advice, as maybe I can tweak my bios to solve this, or confirmation of the symptoms that the chip is bad. I bought through newegg....but am likely outside any warranty with them ~3months, if defective any advice for dealing with Intel on a manufacturer warranty replacement?

Thanks guys!

how are you measuring those temps?.. its kinda weird that you idle at 34-36 and never pass from 50`C with a overclocked ivy 3770k.. what program are you using to check your temps?. also how much oc'd is/was your chip?.

about the topic.. never let a mobo optimize OC. it tend to be voltage hungry with the processor.. can you post a picture of your issue ?...

Frustrated I set everything back to stock speeds and it went away.

Fast forward mb was defective, swapped out for new one, used premium thermal compound, but grfx corruption is back at stock clocks and voltages and turbo charging the cooler doesn't have effect...max rpm keeps process at bout 34-36c idle.

Did you test a different cpu in the first motherboard? In order to determine that your cpu is "defective" the only way to pinpoint it would be to try the cpu in a different motherboard and see if the graphics corruption persists.

I have never seen a defective cpu that wasn't caused by the user. I have personally fried one processor in all my years. I know Intel and Gigabyte have a process that tests their parts before it leaves the factory. Conclusively, if your cpu is bad, it would have been cause by you. There is a very slim chance that the first Gigabyte board was defective and an even smaller minuscule chance that it damaged your cpu.

At this point though, your only option and responsibility would be to test that cpu in a different motherboard to see if the graphics corruption persists. I would not submit it for RMA to intel until I tested it on another motherboard and saw the same issue.

I'm pretty sure that if you OC, the warranty is invalid unless you bought the intel overclockers warranty thingie for $50.

Im outa town on travel, cant get a pic up until this weekend.

Although not at stock speeds, this was gigabyte bios "optimize bios settings", iirc it barely pushed the proc over 4ghz, it was modest to moderate at best. With the exception of the grfx corruption, everything else handled it like a champ, all system temps stayed very low compared to at stock and system remained stable as well. Even at this bios auto-optimized overclock, I never loaded the system and minimal usage never got the proc over 50c- so Im not sure (sort of some crazy voltage application which Im pretty sure didnt happen) there was no time when this cpu got anywhere near a point that could have been damaged by me.

Anyone got any advice on down/up clocking the hd4000 or a voltage tweak that might help?

What monitor? Did you try a different monitor on the CPU and/or try the monitor on the GPU?

Yeah I tried other monitors, other cables, both tb ports, and the mb HDMI port. The screen blocking corruption occured regardless. But thx 4 the suggestion.

Hey guys Im back, more info, pics and still in need of some [H]ard help!!!

So if you look at the pics below one is with the grfx corruption and one is without it (just above the cigar) - its always in the same place! At first I thought it was the motherboard, but I rma'd that for another one (for another issue) and this problem still happened. I thought, since it only happened on the screen driven by the intel grfx port that maybe I had somehow cooked my proc and that was the issue. Just swapped in a new cpu, issue still exists!!! So I thought maybe it was the virtumvp software being buggy, went to control panel to uninstall, only to realize I hadnt even installed it yet this time around, this is a fairly clean install still.

I have redundantly checked monitors, cables, motherboard, processor, software. Is this just a flaw in the gigabyte offering....? what else could I check?

No corruption....
clean.jpg

Move my mouse at all and the spot above the cigar flickers like you see sometimes remaining after I stop my mouse movement:
dirty.jpg

Wow the power of progress...or not
So immediately after I posted the last post I tried some more testing and isolated where the issue is coming from, just not why.

In bios I have 3 settings:
integrated grfx: on, off, auto (im running on)
integrated grfx memory: 32MB...17 options...512mb, 1024mb (I was running 1024 mb - I have 32gb ram and 2gb 7970 grfx card)
init display: pci, peg, internal (I use peg)

So I foung by brute testing these settings, the issue only occurs when I set integrated memory to 1024, i step back at 512 and no issues.

I dont game on my pc, so missing 512mb memory assigned to the internal grfx card will not keep me up at night. But Id still like to know wtf is causing this.

Any suggestions helpful and appreciated.

Thx

Did you test a different cpu in the first motherboard? In order to determine that your cpu is "defective" the only way to pinpoint it would be to try the cpu in a different motherboard and see if the graphics corruption persists.

I have never seen a defective cpu that wasn't caused by the user. I have personally fried one processor in all my years. I know Intel and Gigabyte have a process that tests their parts before it leaves the factory. Conclusively, if your cpu is bad, it would have been cause by you. There is a very slim chance that the first Gigabyte board was defective and an even smaller minuscule chance that it damaged your cpu.

At this point though, your only option and responsibility would be to test that cpu in a different motherboard to see if the graphics corruption persists. I would not submit it for RMA to intel until I tested it on another motherboard and saw the same issue.

I have seen multiple Intel and AMD CPUs that were either DOA or failed not long after they were new.

I've seen more DOA and failed Intel CPUs than AMD, but that may just be because Dell uses a lot more Intel than AMD CPUs.

Most of the DOA and failed Intel CPUs were back in the LGA 775 PIV days. Saw a few that would not even allow the system to POST.

Saw quite a few that the cache was faulty.

Also saw quite a few that would cause the system to crash if HT was enabled.

I even saw one or two that were causing super slow I/O issues. Slow data access as well as hitching/pausing in Windows on a fresh install of Windows.

These were all Dell machines.

I have also seen a few newer Intel CPUs fail/be faulty from the factory.

Latest one that Dell ended up replacing the whole system because they wouldn't believe me that it was the CPU causing the problems was a Lattitude E6410. It would take forever to do anything relating to loading stuff from the Optical drive.

It passed all tests. They even had me send it to the Depot who sent it back with the same issue.

The last time a tech came out to look at it, I showed him what it was doing. It would take anywhere from 15-45 minutes to load the Diagnostics from the DVD drive. We tried different drives, they replaced the motherboard. We tried different RAM, etc.

I had told them at the very beginning that it was the CPU but they would not believe me, even after swapping out absolutely everything else.

I have a few Lattitude E6420s and E6430s at work that I am pretty sure have a similiar CPU issue. They just act up randomely, but pass every single diagnostic I can run on them.

After dealing with a bunch of machines over the years with dodgy CPUs it gets easier to tell when it is the CPU or something else acting up.

^^^ Wow that's crazy, I've never seen a dead Intel cpu out of the thousands that have crossed my desk.

Wow the power of progress...or not
So immediately after I posted the last post I tried some more testing and isolated where the issue is coming from, just not why.

In bios I have 3 settings:
integrated grfx: on, off, auto (im running on)
integrated grfx memory: 32MB...17 options...512mb, 1024mb (I was running 1024 mb - I have 32gb ram and 2gb 7970 grfx card)
init display: pci, peg, internal (I use peg)

So I foung by brute testing these settings, the issue only occurs when I set integrated memory to 1024, i step back at 512 and no issues.

I dont game on my pc, so missing 512mb memory assigned to the internal grfx card will not keep me up at night. But Id still like to know wtf is causing this.

Any suggestions helpful and appreciated.

Thx

That's interesting. I think that leads to a memory issue so I would suggest running memtest. I have also seen similar issues with out dated graphics drivers but not recently. Another thing that can cause that issue is when the wrong ypbpr color space is used. I get a pixel shimmering when my htpc is set to 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2.

Back