Defeated Cybersecurity Bill: President Weighs Executive-Order Option

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, even though it was defeated in the Senate, the White House hasn't ruled out issuing an executive order on the Cybersecurity Act.

"Moving forward, the President is determined to do absolutely everything we can to better protect our nation against today’s cyber threats and we will do that," Carney said. If Obama issues an order on cybersecurity, it wouldn't be the first time that his administration has resorted to executive action to bypass Congress.

Let's try to keep this one on topic folks :)

Good luck with that one. :D

But anyway...OMFG an executive order?! If they're that crazed about legalizing it, they have to be doing all of the stuff they want to leagalize already and then some.

Are we not supposed to comment on the executive order to bypass Congess thus skirting the separation of powers aspect?

Shows how bad this Cybersecurity Act actually is.
They couldn't even get a majority of Senators to vote for it.
Since this is an election year they must have been afraid it would ruin their reelection chances.
Didn't know there where that many close races :)

Imperial president (considering) issuing dictates without the consent of congress, and in violation of the separation of powers? Push me over with a feather!

EOs are designed/intended to offer clarifications on enforcement of pre-existing statutory law, not create its own law by fiat.

A great plan if you don't want to be re-elected.

This. He would be handing the Romney camp a massive campaign boost. I can see the advertisements now.

Plus, does he really belong as a president if he skirts Congress? The separation exists for a reason.

We wont talk about all the pork and Gun legislation that is hidden in this bill either.

We wont talk about all the pork and Gun legislation that is hidden in this bill either.

Actually let's bring it up just a little because both sides stuck poison pills into it. The Democrats stuck their high cap magazine ban into it and the Republicans stuck a Washington DC abortion ban into it.
It seems what we need is a bill stating that bills going before Congress concern a single subject matter.

Sounds par for the course for this administration. Not shocking or surprising in any way.

Every administration has used them in recent memory, usually for things far less tasteful than a cyber security bill.

^Eh... how many presidents have used this many executive orders? (Serious question, as I don't know. It seems that Obama has done it more than most if not all. Then there was Teddy. Those 2 are the ones i know used quite a few executive orders.

^Eh... how many presidents have used this many executive orders? (Serious question, as I don't know. It seems that Obama has done it more than most if not all. Then there was Teddy. Those 2 are the ones i know used quite a few executive orders.

Obama certainly has not done it more in total many of his predecessors signed 300+, Obamaas of yet hasn't cracked 200.

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/disposition.html

Historically they're becoming very common, and we've had the least effective Congress in probably ever for the last while.

Every administration has used them in recent memory, usually for things far less tasteful than a cyber security bill.
There's using and there's abusing. And there is different levels of abuse. Passing legislation by decree when that's not even your job role, is in the high level of abuse category.

The real problem is Washington is filled with old white men who don't want to commit the career suicide of doing their job and standing up to this president. Its because they have to declare war and reciprocate the abuse by yanking funding for things as the counter-balance "check" on the President. If they do that. they are easily vilified by the media to all the puddin heads we seem to have these days.

Politicians are too easy to demonize. :( The fact is that the cybersecurity bill didn't pass, which means a lot of them are sensible (motives aside). The problem is that there's still some interest in enacting the stuff in it through executive order. That's obviously not everyone in the House or Senate's doing. Don't be too quick to grab pitchforks and torches. Direct your concern at the right people and speak out about it to them specifically. They're public servants. They need to hear what their employers feel is right for them.

There's using and there's abusing. And there is different levels of abuse. Passing legislation by decree when that's not even your job role, is in the high level of abuse category.

The real problem is Washington is filled with old white men who don't want to commit the career suicide of doing their job and standing up to this president. Its because they have to declare war and reciprocate the abuse by yanking funding for things as the counter-balance "check" on the President. If they do that. they are easily vilified by the media to all the puddin heads we seem to have these days.

And Bush 2 gave a get out of jail free card to Scooter Libby. How big an abuse is that?

The big one that gets me is Obama's trying to do ACTA by exec order, fortunately most of the rest of the world didn't go along with it. This cyber security bill is small fish compared to that.

All presidents in recent memory have been over using or abusing them. Obama gets hit on the topic because those other guys antics are old and forgotten news...even Reagan who signed twice as many of them.

^Eh... how many presidents have used this many executive orders? (Serious question, as I don't know. It seems that Obama has done it more than most if not all (NO!). Then there was Teddy. Those 2 are the ones i know used quite a few executive orders.

Every single (since the time of George Washington) President has used EO's. Almost every single one of them (sure there's an exception somewhere) have issued close to a hundred or more EO's. This is not something new the black guy is doing...lol. Seriously, anyone saying it's [insert name here] doesn't understand enough about the country we live in. It's not one person, it's the system itself.

But don't take my word for it.

Last thing: Almost every President has pardoned (bad) people by the end of their terms too. Go figure.

Every single (since the time of George Washington) President has used EO's. Almost every single one of them (sure there's an exception somewhere) have issued close to a hundred or more EO's. This is not something new the black guy is doing...lol. Seriously, anyone saying it's [insert name here] doesn't understand enough about the country we live in. It's not one person, it's the system itself.

Last thing: Almost every President has pardoned (bad) people by the end of their terms too. Go figure.

US citizens have a very short memory or knowledge of their own political history. When McCain was running for president, I don't think anyone ever mentioned his involvement in the Keating Five.

US citizens have a very short memory or knowledge of their own political history. When McCain was running for president, I don't think anyone ever mentioned his involvement in the Keating Five.

Lol what? Pretty sure that was one of the main reasons he got destroyed.

EO's arent the issue, its how/what they are used for that matters, and Obama is attempting to use them in such a way as to bypass the very principles our country were founded on.

There aren't words adequate enough to describe people who even hint at defending Obamas actions/potential actions in this matter.

IF you don't like the current people in Washington then vote someone else in who isn't there.

Never said I doubted you guys, but it seemed that way. Probably because it's so much more publicized and recent. That and it's more of my interests, since I've looked more closely at the government in the last 6 or so years.

Wow Carter seems to have the most of the recent presidents in terms of EO vs Time in Office. But I wasn't even born then. Let alone live in america.

EO's arent the issue, its how/what they are used for that matters, and Obama is attempting to use them in such a way as to bypass the very principles our country were founded.

There aren't words adequate enough to describe people who even hint at defending Obamas actions/potential actions in this matter.

LOL... Every single person ever in power capable enough to do this has been doing it since the beginning of man, that's for some time now. Are you just now noticing it? Serious question. Because..."All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

When asked what type of government the American people were going to participate in, by a well-meaning woman, a stern Benjamin Franklin warned that our new government wasgoing to be "A republic, madam, if you can keep it."
Now ask yourself, do we currently have a republic? Was Obama to blame? Now ask yourself, do you have hot pockets in your freezer you seen advertised on TV while watching the bachelorette? lol (Not sure the correlation but I felt like saying it)

Anyway, the Patriot Act (and congress was involved in that process, yeah, that helped!) wasn't what we the people wanted either and that went through! Or how about most wars? Or thousands of other things? So again, every president does something worse than the last one before him. The next one will do the same and on and on. That guy (Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc) is only following orders from the real owners who want stuff pushed through by any means(come on, you don't feel that constant push to get what they want?). Shit, Obama signed the newest NDAA on December 31, 2011 when every one was fucking off not paying attention. Thank evolution for a sane judge to temporarily block it!

Anyway, stop complaining about the manager everyday like it even matters and start looking at the US as a company (since fundamentally it is) and look at the OWNERS! They're the ones truly calling the shots.

Haven't you ever wondered why so many presidential candidates tell you they'll do all this shit when they get into office and almost always never accomplish any of it? I know why, as soon as they get in there, they learn that's not how it really works (I mean, really, you think a guy that will be in and out in 4-8 years is making the real calls? Really?). Don't get me wrong, of course the position comes with power but so does any manager position.

If mitt becomes president, well lets just state that his entire career thus far has been screwing people out of money (breaking contracts/demolishing companies/etc) and that's not even mentioning his blatant disregard for anything remotely similar to truth and firmness. He won't be any better and more than likely much worse. It's like a natural progression of corruption and screwing over the people.

Here's what I believe (In my little mind) the hierarchy really is on this little blue rock in the middle of nowhere. Notice where the government is. It's a managerial position!

Meh- what if...

Recap: It's not Obama that is the source of the problem (the root), he's but a symptom of a much bigger problem. Stop thinking inside the box that was constructed for you, it's better to wake up and stop blaming red or blue, black or white, them or us, this or that, etc. Never mind, my favorite show is on...bye!

If that's to me partial, or wholly, I assure you. I don't think Obama is the source of the problem. I think he is one that furthers it, like many of the recent presidents and incidents and other world leaders and corporation.

Not to say that there isn't others to blame, the public too, since they have not done anything about it. Of which I am a part of.

And Bush 2 gave a get out of jail free card to Scooter Libby. How big an abuse is that?

Thanks (NOT) for derailing the post.

Actually, Bush did NOT grant Libby a pardon, he left the record complete with felony. All Bush did was get him out of jail. Compare that to Clinton's pardons.

Back on subject, someone needs to remove every single EO there is, we have no room left for sidestepping the constitution any further or we will be subjects of a dictatorship.

Thanks (NOT) for derailing the post.

Actually, Bush did NOT grant Libby a pardon, he left the record complete with felony. All Bush did was get him out of jail. Compare that to Clinton's pardons.

Back on subject, someone needs to remove every single EO there is, we have no room left for sidestepping the constitution any further or we will be subjects of a dictatorship.

Better yet, let's look at who Bush pardoned:

The whole Catholic church for the child molestation/rape scandal.

That's much worse than pardoning one bad person.

And EOs, BTW, have been used to push legislation before, so don't act like Obama is new in that aspect. He needs to let this damn thing die, it's not worth fighting over anymore.

Don't forget folks, a Draconian Ammunition control bill was tacked onto this POS at the last minute. This is what probably killed it in the first place.

The President is thinking about making an Executive Order that requires critical infrastructure operators to meet minimum cyber-security standards. And some of you think the majority of voters will be upset by this? If anything it will be seen as an example of the President doing what the House and Senate were incapable of doing. The only people that will see this as a negative are those that were never going to vote for Obama in the first place.

I bet a majority of U.S. voters have thought something like this was already in place. Who hasn't seen a number of movies where hackers, terrorists, punk kids, or other nations have played havoc on the systems our society depends on. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to not have a "minimum" requirement placed on these businesses that supply us with the critical infrastructure we rely on.

The real issue here isn't the president using one of the powers he has at his disposal. It is the fact that he has to use this power to get something done that should have been accomplished at the house and senate level. There needs to be a change in the way laws and bills are presented and voted on. Adding things like gun control to a cyber-security bill is a prime example of why our political system fails us (the people not businesses) so often. I do not see this change ever happening, because it adds no benifit to the people we elect and only removes their ability to be obstructionists.

Dear Leader will get whatever he wants with his exec order pen or one of our 60 some odd czars that Bush helped get off the ground in the first place.

"That's not change, that's more of the same." It sure as hell is and will continue to be regardless of the window dressing.

AnonymousUser said:
Recap: It's not Obama that is the source of the problem (the root), he's but a symptom of a much bigger problem.

You got it!

Back