Dedicating a drive to just games only?

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
On my next build I plan on having more storage. One option I'm considering is having a drive JUST for my games. This will include my games purchased from Steam if that makes a difference.

I've been doing some looking around but I'm not sure what I want to do exactly. I'm considering a 3TB drive for future proofing. Thanks to Steam sales, I more or less get at least one or two games I've been meaning to buy a month now. (DAMN YOU STEAM!)

My other option is to just risk it and go 2TB, and then throw in another one later/upgrade to a 3TB if/when prices drop.

As far as speed goes, I'm not considering an SSD at the moment. I'm not as hardcore on any one particular game enough for it to be worthwhile as far as map loading times and what not.

What do you guys think?

I would at least go with a WD Black or something comparable for loading speeds, maybe even RAID two identical drives together for increased speed and have a WD Green drive for media storage (I make ISO's of all of my games and just install via daemon tools or virtual clone drive). SSD for OS, RAID'ed blacks for games and huge greens for storage is my setup

I would at least go with a WD Black or something comparable for loading speeds, maybe even RAID two identical drives together for increased speed and have a WD Green drive for media storage (I make ISO's of all of my games and just install via daemon tools or virtual clone drive). SSD for OS, RAID'ed blacks for games and huge greens for storage is my setup

So two of these in RAID then?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792

I use a 300GB Raptor Drive soley for my games. I like the speed, but the space is getting a bit tight after a couple years now.

That WD Black is a good recommendation.

Back