dedicated VPN client

SeaWulf

Limp Gawd
hey guys, I currently have an ASUS RT-AC1200 router. The web UI is nice and wireless has been very fast and stable but unfortunately the router doesn't support Tomato or DD-WRT. My end goal is to setup my entire network so that I can route all traffic through VPN for privacy.

My budget is about $50 and my home connection speed is about 150mbps. Are there any wired routers in this price range that I can add to my network that will be up to the task?

Privacy from who? All you'll be doing is transferring your history from the ISP to the VPN provider. I'd say chances are the latter is (or will) do the same data collection as the ISP. You can't stay in business solely on $50 "lifetime" VPN subscriptions.

Privacy from who? All you'll be doing is transferring your history from the ISP to the VPN provider. I'd say chances are the latter is (or will) do the same data collection as the ISP. You can't stay in business solely on $50 "lifetime" VPN subscriptions.

I think it's a huge generalization to assume that they all do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

even if so, it's besides the original point

I think I'm just going to build a dedicated PC to do this. It seems like most routers would be too CPU-limited

$50 would be hard pressed to vpn sustained at 150 mbps.

I'm more curious about where you're vpn'ing into though. Just jumping from US to US you may get those speeds, but running a VPN to overseas you most likely won't see that speed. Like said above, your vpn provider will likely be doing data mining themselves at $50 for a lifetime sub. I'm paying that much per year for my vpn sub, but I also know what my provider is providing. What is your provider?

$50 would be hard pressed to vpn sustained at 150 mbps.

I'm more curious about where you're vpn'ing into though. Just jumping from US to US you may get those speeds, but running a VPN to overseas you most likely won't see that speed. Like said above, your vpn provider will likely be doing data mining themselves at $50 for a lifetime sub. I'm paying that much per year for my vpn sub, but I also know what my provider is providing. What is your provider?

I am currently using PIA but anticipate switching to another provider TBD

PIA is solid, have used them as well. They are one of the providers that doesn't track your usage in logs. Works with openvpn from the router also. Not sure what location you're connecting to but set it up and try out the speed test.

Sorry I misread your comment on cost w/ Blue commenting about lifetime sub, PIA is indeed yearly lol.

PIA is solid, have used them as well. They are one of the providers that doesn't track your usage in logs. Works with openvpn from the router also. Not sure what location you're connecting to but set it up and try out the speed test.

Sorry I misread your comment on cost w/ Blue commenting about lifetime sub, PIA is indeed yearly lol.

Part of the issue is that my router doesn't have Open VPN client at all :)

PIA doesn't track your usage***

<tinfoil>technically they may be legally ordered to do so with a gag order in place</tinfoil>

Not in a foreign host that doesn't acknowledge the us law, there's a few in there ;)

Drop some ddwrt on that rpiter!

This is what all work and no sleep does to you, lmao.

Did look a bit into that router, you'd really be doing yourself a favor by stepping up to a better unit

This is what all work and no sleep does to you, lmao.

Did look a bit into that router, you'd really be doing yourself a favor by stepping up to a better unit

Yeah, it's really lacking in terms of features. It has been very stable and very fast, though.

Back