Dedicated video card for graphics and motherboard video card for audio?

krassyg72

n00b
Can you use the motherboard video card output for audio with a dedicated video card for video? Would prefer not to route the HDMI output from the video card into a receiver( 4K HDR at 120Hz) and then to the monitor. All of the DP and HDMI outputs of the card are full (triple monitor with Pimax 8K).

maybe, but whats wrong with using the onboard sound card? what do you plan on feeding the hdmi to if not a receiver?

The real question is why not use the actual video card? I get not connecting your primary display via the pass through especially if you have gsync/hdr but your secondary displays shouldn’t be an issue. It’s all digital so it’s not like you’re gonna lose quality

Can you use the motherboard video card output for audio with a dedicated video card for video? Would prefer not to route the HDMI output from the video card into a receiver( 4K HDR at 120Hz) and then to the monitor. All of the DP and HDMI outputs of the card are full (triple monitor with Pimax 8K).
I use a cheap, passive DP to HDMI adapter to convert and use it as output direct from my GPU (1080 Ti through to a 4090) to my receiver. As long as I set the dummy output to 1080P it'll output surround sound just fine, including Dolby Atmos. I wonder if you could use a DP splitter and a DP to HDMI adapter to your receiver? Or maybe if all of your DP outputs go to devices that already have sound that it wouldn't work?

Routing the HDMI through the receiver might introduce delay and I am trying to avoid it.

Routing the HDMI through the receiver might introduce delay and I am trying to avoid it.
If you're gaming on all three monitors and your reaction time is that good where passthrough latency on a non-primary display will make a difference, you're the most impressive specimen I've heard of. Heck you'll probably introduce more latency from driver overhead with what you're trying to do.

I mean audio/video sync issues and video artifacts issues with passing through 4k HDR at 120Hz though a receiver. KISS...

I mean audio/video sync issues and video artifacts issues with passing through 4k HDR at 120Hz though a receiver. KISS...
Shouldn't have that issue if your cables are the appropriate length and the receiver fully supports HDMI 2.1. I know when 2.1 hit the market that there were a lot of receivers out there that did not support it despite being advertised they do.

I don't think using two GPU's instead of one qualifies as KISS, quite the opposite. You also risk running into HDCP issues if you play HDCP content and the audio device doesn't see a compatible HDCP display attached to it.

i would try the main monitor port and audio to the receiver, then to the monitor and then the other two directly off the card. there is no KISS in this oddball setup...

I use a cheap, passive DP to HDMI adapter to convert and use it as output direct from my GPU (1080 Ti through to a 4090) to my receiver. As long as I set the dummy output to 1080P it'll output surround sound just fine, including Dolby Atmos. I wonder if you could use a DP splitter and a DP to HDMI adapter to your receiver? Or maybe if all of your DP outputs go to devices that already have sound that it wouldn't work?
If using a DP to HDMI adapter, your passive method is the only one that allows full bandwidth audio up to 192KHz 24bit, but is restricted to Full HD res max as you found. Beyond that res requires an active DP adapter.
With an active adapter the only available audio output is 48KHz 16bit, I know because I used this exact setup for a while and was forced to downsample to 48/16 or have no sound.
It allowed other codecs through at full bitrate much of the time but it annoyed the fk out of me otherwise as I use high end audio kit.

Now I use another PC for Atmos or multichannel out with a direct HDMI connection to my AVR, no DP adapter. (Gaming monitor connected via DP)
And can feed video full res through my AVR to the TV.
No messing about with anything and no chance of audio delay.
fyi

If you need to use 2xHDMI in the future, consider getting your next gfx card with 2xHDMI, which will be aftermarket only, NVidia wont make reference cards with 2xHDMI..

Back