Dedicated server opinions/options?

redrage

Limp Gawd
Looking for opinions/options

Right now I have a Dedicated server at eSecureData, they're not too bad. But i'm looking for a new setup. May go back to eSecureData but just keeping options open.

Right now i'm looking for at least dual core, 2GB ram, 500GB Storage, 10mb unmetered or 100mb with high quota and cheap overage options, 2 IPs with more available. (more is better if the price is right) and no contracts over 6months. MUST take paypal.

cPanel would be nice but not needed. OS, some linux. RIght now I'm on Slackware. just not Ubuntu (sp?).

KVM/IP would be nice as well.

Out of the US would be nice too.

Looking at $100 or less/month

Again I can get most of this through eSecureData except i think cPanel and KVM/IP for under $100. My only problem with them is that my connection is rather slow to them through comcast (surprise surprise).

the Only places i've rulled out are 1and1 (contract) and hostgater.

Check out serverbeach, I've been with them for like 9 years now.

If you ever change your mind about PayPal you should take a look at Amazon EC2. Not a dedicated server option but, IMO, virtual beats dedicated in a ton of ways, totally worth it.

I have also dealt with vps.net (again, virtual). Good guys, good service, relatively cheap. The storage that they offer might limit you, however, although they do have options for that, too.

For $100 a month you can get yourself a heck of a setup on a cloud provider, amazon, hp, etc. I would HIGHLY suggest looking into that. You get direct machine access, can manage images, use as many IP's as you want, tons of bandwidth, etc etc.

I have an account on HPCloud, and currently have 2 machines running, (super small single core instances but they are fine for what I need) and I pay ~$16/month for each one.

Check out the pricing here: https://www.hpcloud.com/products/cloud-compute It's pretty reasonable IMHO, and gives you a LOT of flexibility.

I actually use the object storage on there to back up my little SMB client's data. It serves as a great location for off-site data storage.

You can use object storage is you want to store a lot of content to make available over HTTP, and even use their content delivery network if you have a lot of users around the world and stuff.

Last edited:
thanks! I check serverbeach out.. little pricey though.

I'm not into a vps much. Usually when i speck out all the options i would want i'm looking at around $50+/month. at that rate i might as well grab a dedicated box.

chances are i'll be sticking with esecuredata and just end up doing it all manually.

another question. I have not used cpanel for a few years... is it worth getting?

Cloud service isnt really exactly a vps, I mean you are running VM's, but you can add/remove/manage them as you please, you can go from a 1 cpu instance to an 8 cpu instance in minutes. You can setup several if you want to keep stuff separate, whatever you want. There are no penalties for having the cpu pegged at 100% non stop.

Yeah they do cost a little more than other datacenters, but I've been with them for as long as I have for a reason. ;)

If outside the US, I would recommend seedstuff.ca. Have a dedicated root access box there, 100mb unmetered, 80/mo i5, 2TB, 16gb, paypal, no contracts.

If outside the US, I would recommend seedstuff.ca. Have a dedicated root access box there, 100mb unmetered, 80/mo i5, 2TB, 16gb, paypal, no contracts.

didn't see your post, they look pretty good but have a BW limit (though it is really high that i would never hit)

I ended up going through a yesuphost.com reseller...

Got:
CPU: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1230V2 (8M Cache, 3.30 GHz)
Memory: 8.00 GB
Hard drive: SATA III 7200RPM 500.00 GB
100MB connection, Unmetered

for 77$ no setup, Took a few days to get but i did order new years eve. Now to learn Ubuntu server, i'm going to miss slackware :-(

Inital thoughts on yesup, connection seems fast, price is much better than average and they gave me what i want, a box connected to the internet and that is it :)

with seedstuff.ca i could've gotten twice the ram and drive space for just a little bit more.

I'm going to miss esecuredata as well, despite some billing issues they've been great

Coming from slackware ubuntu should be a breeze. apt-get will basically do everything for ya, heh.

yeah Ubuntu isn't that bad. Ubuntu server is actually pretty nice for setting up a webserver. THough i did have a hard time getting proftpd to work. apparently it doesn't install inetd so had to uninstall proftpd install inetd and then install proftpd. woudln't even run in stand alone with out it.

throwing webmin and virutalmin on it has made it a snap.

Back