dedicated physx card to pair with gtx 580?

fpliii

n00b
Hey guys,

I'm putting together my new build, and am trying to decide whether it's worth it to buy a cheap card to pair with my gtx 580? I usually run on 1200p, but I'll occasionally use two 24" monitors. Here are my questions:

• Which (decent) games use physx?
• What's the minimum gpu I could run as a dedicated physx card?
• What's the best gpu worth buying for physx given the selection of games that will utilize physx as well as the cost/benefit of the card?

Thanks.

When i use to use physx, i used a 9600 for physx with a 260GTX Black Edition. The best i ever saw was doubling my FPS in Boarderlands.
I haven't seen many games today that get a great preference boost from using a dedicated physx card.
If you were to pick up a physx card. Maybe a cheap 280 ( you can find a good deal in the fo rsale section here) or something. or a 460. Im not an expert on physx tho.

Don't waste money on a physics card unless you love a game that takes advantage of it. Or if you just have a card laying around.

For it to be worth while on a GTX 580 you'll need at least a GTX 460 or better to use. It isn't worth it.

i've tried using 9800gt, 460, 560ti with my hd6990... and from 9800 to 460 i got a huge performance boost... but when changing from the 460 to 560, i only got like 2% increase in fps...

so my best bet is using a 460 as a physx card... you can buy it used for around $70 to $100 these days...

Yea unless you love playing a game that uses physx, its not worth it to buy it in preparation for games that use physx. That being said, I agree with the 460.

Don't waste your money on a PhysX card, wait i think someone said that, so really save your money =)

When i use to use physx, i used a 9600 for physx with a 260GTX Black Edition. The best i ever saw was doubling my FPS in Boarderlands.
I haven't seen many games today that get a great preference boost from using a dedicated physx card.
If you were to pick up a physx card. Maybe a cheap 280 ( you can find a good deal in the fo rsale section here) or something. or a 460. Im not an expert on physx tho.
Borderlands does not even use hardware physx yet you doubled your framerates using a 9600 for a physx card? :rolleyes:

I just bought a 580 GTX. My old card is a 465 but im not sure about using it as a Physx card. I dont think the heat generated by an extra card would be worth it. What do you think?

I just bought a 580 GTX. My old card is a 465 but im not sure about using it as a Physx card. I dont think the heat generated by an extra card would be worth it. What do you think?
IMO heck no. there will only be probably 1 decent game a year that even has physx. with a gtx580 you could easily get away with running normal physx and in some cases even high physx anyway. just sell the gtx465 while its still worth something.

GTX 460 or 9800GTX+/GTX240 if your on a budget.
a gt240 would be a horrible choice. it would be little to no better than having the gtx580 do both graphics and physx. the minimum physx card to have with a gtx580 is a gts450 but a gtx460 would be much better.

a gt240 would be a horrible choice. it would be little to no better than having the gtx580 do both graphics and physx. the minimum physx card to have with a gtx580 is a gts450 but a gtx460 would be much better.

I got 10-12 more FPS in Mafia 2 using a GTX9800+ paired with a GTX480. I imagine it would be a similar situation to a lesser degree with a GTS240 and a GTX 580.

I got 10-12 more FPS in Mafia 2 using a GTX9800+ paired with a GTX480. I imagine it would be a similar situation to a lesser degree with a GTS240 and a GTX 580.
um no. a gt240 is much slower than a 9800gtx+ and a gtx580 is about 15% faster than a gtx480. a gt240 would barely break even compared to just letting the gtx580 do everything.

um no. a gt240 is much slower than a 9800gtx+ and a gtx580 is about 15% faster than a gtx480. a gt240 would barely break even compared to just letting the gtx580 do everything.

Wow, I feel like I fool. My wife corrected me, I meant 250 the whole time.

Back