decode this prime95 error message for me and need help with OC

HotL3@D

[H]ard|Gawd
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected

Heres the situation, at 250, 249 and 248mhz FSB Prime95 last anywhere from 1-15 minutes before giving me this message, no matter what the voltage is on the cpu, whether stock or upwards of 1.65v. Lower FSB than that, with a bit of voltage tweaking, she been stable over 5 hours with prime95. Feels as though i've hit a brick wall and i'm beginning to think (Because no matter what the voltage is set at) that the cpu is not the limiting factor here, as i cant believe that a difference of 3 mhz would cause prime95 to do this. and i know its not the ram, as at 250mhz FSB on a 5:4 ratio its at 200mhz, which is stock speed, agp/pci is locked... Could it be i need better northbridge cooling before being able to overclock higher is the NB my limiting factor in this equation? Everything else runs fine and i believe my temps are well within range.. I think NB temp goes from 35C Idle to about 48C Load, CPU Temps 45C idle 60C Load, however, my ic7 abit board reports higher temps than usual, so there no frickin telling what the temps are....

Any suggestions?? Can the prime95 error be used to help figure out whats holding me back?

the error just tells you there's a problem with your hadware, it can't tell you what it is. Simply sounds like your OC is too high

CRXican said:
the error just tells you there's a problem with your hadware, it can't tell you what it is. Simply sounds like your OC is too high

Right, well i couldnt tell if the error could help decode the problem or not... Would an overheated NB cause prime95 to spit out an error message?

getzlate said:
try easing up on your memory timings just a tad.

Thats not what i wanted to hear... :) But why if the ram is at its rated speed or below??

HotL3@D said:
Thats not what i wanted to hear... :) But why if the ram is at its rated speed or below??

Backed off the ram timings to their lowest settings and it still failed prime95. ANy other suggestions?

Your system can't take the strain, that is about all that error tells you. Lower your overclock until you don't get the error.

The errors are generic. They tell you nothing but it screwed up. Technically, there is no way of knowing what caused the error. A bad cdrom drive couldve caused it and you would never know unless you took the drive out. (that cant actually happen)

Test it with some different ram maybe. Run memtest to test your ram.

*shrug*

Back