Declaring Email Bankruptcy

Delete everything.

If it's important they will send it again.

meh

Until it's a client that is crying foul and the only thing that will save your ass from the street and a court date is an email proving their claims false.

Happened several times over the years.

Save Everything!

Until it's a client that is crying foul and the only thing that will save your ass from the street and a court date is an email proving their claims false.

Happened several times over the years.

Save Everything!

I have emails dating back to 2001 when I finally learned some common sense. They are archived in three places offsite just in case. Granted maybe that's a bit much but you never know. :)

If you have 14k unread emails sitting in your inbox, IMHO, you're not properly/appropriately using your email/filtering.

Corporate discourages the hoarding/pack-ratting of emails for many reasons (legal/liability foremost, but also leaving lots of emails sitting in your corporate inbox isn't a good organizational habit), so storage space is typically small by today's standards (also, space = $$$ on corporate email). So I keep my work inbox pretty empty, and important attached documents stored on my computer, or otherwise important email content saved as office tasks categorized by topic or project--this really keeps me more organized than when I used to just leave emails sitting in my inbox relying on the search tool to find something of importance amongst a lot of unimportant emails. There's this whole process referred to as the "effective EDGE" where EDGE stands for "Emptying, Deciding, Grouping, and Executing." I was skeptical about this process at first, but it's really helped me be more organized with work. Either way, someone's inbox can be pretty empty without bulk-deleting unread messages and declaring this absurd idea of "email bankruptcy" (this is completely new to me...). At any given time I probably only have 20 emails sitting in my work inbox, most of which is awaiting organizing/categorizing for the day, and I've already processed all the emails that arrived prior.

Personal email on the other hand--I don't think I've deleted a single email from my gmail account since I started using it over a decade ago. No real reason/ Google properly filters spam, I don't keep sensitive material there, and I like the ability to easily search and find important (or even trivial) stuff.

I also don't delete unread emails from my inbox without reading them (or at least viewing the sender/subject). I also don't have a problem with spam emails getting to my inbox, and I don't leave unread messages sitting in my inbox. Lastly, I don't tend to get hundreds of emails a day, so that makes it easier to not amass a million unread emails.

I handle and respond to a little over 5,000 emails per month and it's not difficult to do so how does one even get 46k unread emails in the first place?

Storage is cheap. I have had situations where having a 5+ year old email has absolved me of being responsible for various issues because I was directed to do XYZ action. It is also required by the feds that all email be retained in my job.

Yeah I have a four year old email account for business, and I am sitting at 10GB of emails.

Hi, I am Viper16, I am an email hoarder! :D

@ the VA, we use Zantaz EAS that archives at the server farm to a massive continuously growing SAN. Its helpful, so ya, I have mail from 10 years of civil service.. never delete anything of value.. need the paper trail baby! CYA!

I just got that forced on me. Evil hateful thing, that EAS or at least my employers implementation of it. At some point its apparently going to delete my 8.5GB PST unless I upload all that.

Ironically, very similar industry to yours but from a vendor standpoint.

Back