Decision on which processor to use in my gaming rig

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
I've been testing some new processors I have and am coming up on a coin flip decision and could use some help. I want to put the best processor into my gaming rig. The other 2 will primarily be used for folding@home (1 will replace my server rig and the other my HTPC rig eventually)

Note: number after 3800+ is the last 2 of the serial for my reference

Processor 1: X2 3800+_76 max clock [email protected]
Processor 2: X2 3800+_77 max clock [email protected]
Processor 3: OPTY 165 max clock [email protected]

Anyone want to provide me a guess on which processor would be better for gaming?

Opty 165 @ 289FSB (2.61Ghz) (1MB Level 2)

or

X2 3800+ @ 273FSB (2.73Ghz) (512K Level 2)

I'm thinking the Opteron but it's probably not going to be a significant difference either way. (4% OC difference versus bigger Level 2 cache)

Try some more voltage.
Ive owned 2 3800x2s. Here is how it went

Chip1 2.5 @ 1.3vcore 2.6 @ 1.3vcore 2.7 @1.5vcore
Chip2 2.2 @ 1.3vcore 2.4 @ 1.4vcore [email protected]

Point is their sweetspot is usually around 1.5 and 1.55
Cant tell what they will do at that point by how they scale before.

By the way the heat is ramping up on the OPTY (only 45c) I think it is having thermal issues but since it's still in the system I'll test it. Then I gotta decide whether to put the other X2s back in. At worst, I'll kick it up to 1.5 when I use the foxconn if the voltage goes that high on that system (thinking it should). I might try 1.5v or 1.55 if I don't get impatient. I'm pretty happy with the (almost) quiet air OCs.

edit: Also, just discovered I had a bad stick of memory in during all that testing (intermittent, but even had errors at DDR200). I'll be going back after I finish tweaking with the memory test to revisit all the speeds.

Back