Decision between Xbox 360 and Apple TV gen 1 160gb

joecop120

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm wondering the pros and cons of using an x360 HDMI (non slim/s/black version) or an apple TV gen 1 for media streaming and local storage.

From what I know, the 360 can have external USB devices to playback certain types of audio and visual files, but not all formats are supported. The interface to do so is pretty bad in my opinion though. I don't game on consoles, so that ability is not useful. Most, if not all, streaming requires xbox live, an additional cost. No built in wireless.

Apple TV seems to be pretty solid, but doesn't seem to have the ability to stream much video from the web. Its USB connectivity is unclear. I've heard of hacks, but what functions do they provide?

I have a desktop that I would use to stream files over a N/G network, and also a usb external drive. My main goal is enjoying my digital video collection, and having music in my living room on a surround system.

Thanks!

360 cannot read files larger then 4GB last time I looked at this. That means 1080p files are more or less off limits. In addition most of the file around are MKV and neither of those can read them without converting. I would get either a Roku or Boxee Box. Either of those will excel at what you want to do. I have a Boxee Box in my living room right now even though I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360.

I don't have any experience with Apple TV so I can't really help there.

I do use an XBox 360 - the old white one - for streaming video across my network, though. If you've got the media already stored on a local server / USB device you don't need to have XBox Live, though you're right that you do need it for streaming services like Netflix, etc.

While setting up my network I connected an external USB HDD to the XBox and accessed video from there but again, as you say, formats are limited.

If I read you correctly, you don't currently have either an XBox or Apple TV? If not, you might want to check out XBMC - designed for 1st gen XBoxes Since gaming isn't your thing, the older device might serve you better and save some cash.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Boxee seems like an awesome device, I checked that out. Unfortunately, its $180 and I'm making a trade for one or the other. (xbox or aTV). Still, it appears boxee can be installed on a jailbroken aTV. The 360 is an option since I still have some accessories and peripherals from the original that RROD'd on me. Don't have an original xbox, and don't really want to invest in one.

All of my movies are ripped and converted to .mp4 via handbrake. All music is .mp3 and currently in iTunes. TV shows are a mixture of windows media center video (from a tuner), .avi, and .mkv.

I looked a little more into the apple tv and realized there is a way to load something called Firecore into it, which changes the firmware and allows for XBMC to be installed, along with a variety of other apps. Unfortunately, it doesnt seem to be able to have the power to do 1080p without breaking it open and installing a Broadcom Crystal HD card, which takes the place of the wireless card.

Power usage seems a lot more favorable in the apple tv too.

Sound-wise, my home theater only has 1 optical in, which is occupied. Both the aTV and 360 have RCA connections for stereo surround.

I looked at the Logitech Revue, which also seems pretty awesome, in the event that I make the trade and then sell the 360 or aTV, but I have no experience with the device. No local storage, but runs android 3.1 and has 2 usb ports for external drives. I suppose that could be an option, unless someone has bad experiences with it.

Wdtv live!

Setup your media on your pc/server and stream away.

traded for the apple TV. Overall pleased with the build, simplicity and performance of it.

Back