deciding on nikon D50 and Canon Rebel XT

I always thought the Rebel XT was supposed to compete with the D70, not the D50. I have Rebel XT and so far I'm very happy with it. It is true however, that if you use it with a big/heavy lens it is more difficult to hold than the D50/70 unless you have the battery grip or flash bracket. What did u finally go for BB?

Finally!

Sorry about the delay. Full size, uncropped images available from:

http://www.baynefamily.info/photos/comparison/comparison.htm

They're uploading now, it will be a few minutes more before the index file and all the images are loaded.

Nothing fancy - you'll have to get the image information from the EXIF data.

I was unable to figure out a way to get the white balance to work - the Nikon stuff was always out of whack (tint and white balance) so I set all images to the same white balance and tint in RSE, and then exported them as full quality JPEGS. No exposure compensation applied. No sharpening or noise reduction or contrast or saturation enhancements applied other than what's in the default settings for the cameras. The ONLY thing I touched was the white balance and tint, and I set those equal across all images.

Flash pictures taken with onboard flash for both cameras.

BB

I went to store, tried the rebel xt, nikon D50, then the salesman whipped out the canon 20D, fell in love with it, is like a rebel xt but with a large grip and round dial in back. Felt the rebel xt in hands and felt like junk, my hands have been broken, lol. so now is D50 with 2 lens, rebel xt body + a nice lens, or stretch for the D20 and keep the stock lens.

I say the 20D, it is a better camera...But it is not the camera, it is the person behind the camera. You should get something that you feel comfortable with, since you will prob have for awhile. I say do it right the first time, get the 20D...IMHO it kills the D50, Rebel XT and the D70...No wonder a lot of wedding photographers use this as their primary and/or their backup...

the 20D (which i own) is an older camera compared to the XT or rebel - they are also in diff, categories really.

the XT / Rebel is more an entry level prof. DSLR - the 20D is the next step up into the market, from there u get the 5D and then the MARK II ones.

i loev my 20D cause of the solid metal body, te XT does "feel" cheap but by no means is it.

I’m pretty n00b to the DSLR scene, but have been doing tons of reading and playing with my new D50 and Nikkor 50mm F1.8D, I just ordered a Nikon 600 flash for it should add some fun to my indoor pics of kid.

But always, out of all the people I have talked to in person and all the reading online I have done, this guy is quoting the general idea of DSLR. It seems the Camera body fall far short in importance behind good lens and a good eye.

Its seem to me than as long as you get either Nikon or Cannon, your good to go. Because both companies’ can be depended on to continue to release good upgraded bodies. As long as they do you can later simply upgrade your body and keep your glass collection. In short, buy glass to keep for a long time, buy a body only to upgrade it like a video card.

Akuma said:
Plus it's cheaper which let's you have more money to spend on glass which is real important part, not the body.

BTW: Love the D50 w/ 50mmF1.8D, owns all in low light.... not wide enought at times, but thats what foot zoom is for..

BB,

Thanks so much for those comparison pics. I was all set to get a Rebel but after seeing those pics I'm concerned about it. In the 3rd set I notice quite a bit of Chromatic Aberration on the branches of the tree that are against the sky and the D50 seems completly free of CA! I liked most of the Rebel's pics better but the CA is a serious annoyance IMO. Is it easy to post process that stuff out?

Thanks
-Marshall

Technically you'll find the 350D is a better camera, but from my own experience the kit lens can be disappointing, and I really, really, really won't recommend buying a DSLR if all you plan to do is use it with it's kit lens.
Stick some decent glass on the 350D (or any Nikon for that matter) and you should be able to take some stunning pictures, but you wont get the best from any camera with a cheap lens.
I'll try and post some pictures using the Canon 18-55 kit lens and the f1.8 50mm prime later today if that'll help make up your mind?

Rebel XT - and I am not a good photographer, just learning..

Martindale%20plane%20crash%20004.jpg

Austin%20360%20Bridge%202005%20016.jpg

Barsana%20Dham%20-%20Austin%2002.jpg

Barsana%20Dham%20-%20Austin%2011.jpg

Galleria%20Fountain%20-%20010.jpg

I'll try and post some pictures using the Canon 18-55 kit lens and the f1.8 50mm prime later today if that'll help make up your mind?

That would be great! I didn't realize the CA was from the lens and not the camera. Thanks for enlightening me :)

-Marshall

elchorizo said:
That would be great! I didn't realize the CA was from the lens and not the camera. Thanks for enlightening me :)
:eek:
You probably want to read more about SLR cameras before you buy then, and especially find out a little about the huge variety of lenses that are available (Should be some links in the camera sticky?)

Right here's a few examples of the bad (& good side) of the Canon 18-55mm kit lens, and a few shots from the f1.8 prime to show a little of what the camera can produce (but by no means the limit - I can't afford Canon L lenses yet!)

Warning! Excessive use of images coming up... !

Pic 1:

A corner crop from the original image showing chormatic abberation from the kit lens at 18mm -

CAexample1kit.JPG

F5.6, 18mm, 1/100sec @ ISO 200

The full image - The best bit of this lens is definately the wide angle you get at 18mm - for a very cheap price :)

CAexample1kitbig.jpg

F5.6, 18mm, 1/100sec @ ISO 200

Pic 2:
Severe CA when zoomed in full at 55mm in poorish light conditions - the lens makes a total mess of the picture.

example2kit.JPG

F5.6, 55mm, 1/200sec @ ISO 400 <-- This image was accidently oversharpened in Photoshop, so the noise is also much greater than even at ISO800

Full Size - As you can see, not much better

example2kitbig.jpg

F5.6, 55mm, 1/200sec @ ISO 400

Pic 3:
Taken with the 50mm prime in good light conditions, nice low depth of field and very sharp
example3prime.JPG

F2, 50mm, 1/3200sec @ ISO 100

Pic 4:
Also taken with the 50mm prime, this time as a portrait in "English" light conditions ;)
example4prime.JPG

F5, 50mm, 1/500sec @ ISO 400

I hope that gives you a better idea of the camera and why i wouldn't recommend the kit lens only (though it's good when the light is plentyful or you want wide-angle) - I'm personally going to be building my lens collection mainly around primes, as I've hardly even used my 55-200mm zoom lens and i've had it 3 months!

I've been deciding between the nikon D50 and Canon Rebel XT as well.

The D50 is $100 cheaper (when comparing just the cameras without lenses).

What are some good lenses to get for the D50?

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two cameras and the s2 IS (I know they are a lot different but I like how you can record video on the s2).

i would count out the s2is, is a pain to get the video off the cam, n ull run outta memory fast.

If I buy just the D50 body what lens or lenses would be better than the kit lens?

I'm going to sign up for a photography class at my local community collge because I have no idea what any of the numbers or terms for the lenses mean. Does anyone have a website where all this kind of information is posted?

Hulk said:
If I buy just the D50 body what lens or lenses would be better than the kit lens?

I'm going to sign up for a photography class at my local community collge because I have no idea what any of the numbers or terms for the lenses mean. Does anyone have a website where all this kind of information is posted?

I was in the same boat as you, but I just got the kit lens simply because I have a real nice 35-70/f2.8 from my SLR and a 70-200/f4-5.8 (i think thats the f-stop.) as well. I just ordered my D50 actually, from Calumet Photo (www.calumetphoto.com) for 650 for the kit. Cheaper than mostly every reputable place I've seen.

ellover009 said:
I went to store, tried the rebel xt, nikon D50, then the salesman whipped out the canon 20D, fell in love with it, is like a rebel xt but with a large grip and round dial in back. Felt the rebel xt in hands and felt like junk, my hands have been broken, lol. so now is D50 with 2 lens, rebel xt body + a nice lens, or stretch for the D20 and keep the stock lens.

Get the 20D over the XT - i was in the same boat, the 20D has more options and also can be used with an external ligjhting system.

Apparently the additions the 20D can use alone make it worth more then the Xt for the extra $200-$300 it may be.

i own a 20D and i got the kit with the better lense- $3500 canadian once i was finished and dont regret it one bit!

Back