Deciding between P6T Deluxe V2 & GA-EX58-UD4P

Civ2boss

n00b
Hello there, I'm building my first Core i7 system and I'm trying to decide between the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 & the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P.

First let me tell you the rest of the parts I'm using:

Intel Core i7 920 I want to overclock to about 3.5Ghz but I'll try to do as much as I can without increasing voltage and stay stable
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL8 I'll leave this at 1.65V and 1600 speeds
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X Radeon HD 4890
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
Antec Three Hundred Case
Antec earthwatts EA430 430W
2x - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E Case Fans

So which motherboard is for me? I'm buying them from a Micro Center and the ASUS is about $40 more than the Gigabyte. So I'm wondering if the ASUS board is worth the extra $40. There's also an open box ASUS board for like $20 less than the Gigabyte, but I'd rather get a brand new board.

Thanks

I think you want more than a 430 watt power supply with a 4890 video card to have a little headroom.

I have the gigabyte ud4p in two builds, rock solid board with good bios and a variety of options for bios updating, either in windows utility or traditional.

Some people have encountered a high pitched "squeal" with the ud4p but I didn't see it in either of my builds.

As has been mentioned by others 430 watts is cutting it pretty close for that build, consider going up to the 650 watt version of that psu.

EDIT: I'd recommend you consider a new case as well, you can do alot better than the Antec 300 for not much more money. I used the Coolermaster 690 and was very pleased with it, quite roomy inside with plenty of space for the giant hsfs and gpus that are coming out these days.

Another EDIT: I did a quick newegg search on that HSF, it shows as being used for 775 socket chips, not 1366, are you sure it is going to be mountable to your i7 chip? You may want to research that, a viable option would be the Xigmatek Dark Knight if you are wanting to stick with that brand and style hsf.

Last edited:
Why not Asus P6TD instead of the P6T Deluxe V2?
P6TD is like the P6TD Deluxe V2 but it have better cooling (Stack Cool 3+ instead of Stack Cool 2)

Why not Asus P6TD Deluxe instead of the P6T Deluxe V2?
P6TD Deluxe is like the P6T Deluxe V2 but it have better cooling (Stack Cool 3+ instead of Stack Cool 2)
And it's newer than P6T Deluxe..

EDIT: ops double post, dunno how to delete messages..

Last edited:
I'd go with the UD4P. Their build quality is top notch and great service. I like it MUCH better then my P6T Vanilla.

Why not Asus P6TD instead of the P6T Deluxe V2?
P6TD is like the P6TD Deluxe V2 but it have better cooling (Stack Cool 3+ instead of Stack Cool 2)
And it's newer than P6T Deluxe..

EDIT: ops double post, dunno how to delete messages..

You mean P6TD Deluxe?

P6TD-Deluxe is the newest version of that Asus motherboard. I know it's confusing. But it's newer than P6T-Deluxe v2.

I went with an EVGA Classified 3-way SLI. The thing is massive and barely fit into my new case, Thermaltake Elements G, but darn it looks sexy. :)

100_6216.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P. I wanted one of those two because they had them in stock at my local Micro Center and I didn't really want to wait for Newegg to ship it, even though it takes like a day lol.

@RAD: Hmm you know I don't think I checked to see if it's compatible, but I also got the backplate for it (which is compatible because I installed it already) because I wanted screws instead of those push-pins. I don't trust them one bit. I have to warn people though, install the heatsink without the fan first. It's nearly impossible with the fan attached to install the screws under it.

Anyway I already got the Antec 300 case, so it's too late to get another one. And I'm happy with it anyway, I put together my system yesterday and everything fits. Yeah the 4890 is a little close to the hard drives, but there's plenty of room above and below it to put the HDDs.

I have a problem though. It won't start up. The motherboard lights up, the graphics card lights up, but it won't even boot up to the POST screen. But I also figured out that I didn't have the 8-pin CPU power plug on the Antec 430W. So that might be why :p

I was wondering even if the CPU won't start, shouldn't it still go to POST? Or am I wrong on that?

BTW I'm getting a BFG LS-450 that was reviewed here. So I know it should be good. And yes it is cutting it close I guess, but I estimate that I should get no more than about 300W of total power. But I can't do crossfire without upgrading the PSU. I don't plan on doing that anytime soon anyway though.

All I can say is good luck with your PSU. I really think you should be looking at 500-550W instead.

If you have to buy another power supply, get a larger one! 450 is too small for your 4890!

I have a feeling you put the memory in the wrong slots. Double check the manual. Same thing happen to me with my UD4P. Once I put it in the right slots... boom! Been working great since.

I have a feeling you put the memory in the wrong slots. Double check the manual. Same thing happen to me with my UD4P. Once I put it in the right slots... boom! Been working great since.

Hmm so I got my new power supply and it does the same thing. Starts up for half a second then turns off. There is no video or anything either. No beeps on the board. I checked the memory and it was on the right slots.

Then I even tried pulling the memory and it does the same thing. I then pull the CPU 8-pin power plug and it stays on! But of course it doesn't do anything without the CPU.

So I either have a bad motherboard or a bad CPU. Which do you think it is?

Hmm so I got my new power supply and it does the same thing. Starts up for half a second then turns off. There is no video or anything either. No beeps on the board. I checked the memory and it was on the right slots.

Then I even tried pulling the memory and it does the same thing. I then pull the CPU 8-pin power plug and it stays on! But of course it doesn't do anything without the CPU.

Hmmm. Have you tried with one stick of memory? Also, hit the clear cmos button and see what happens after. If it doesn't work try RMA'ing motherboard. It's pretty rare for Intel CPU's to fail in my experience.

CPUs very rarely go bad. Most likely it is some kind of PSU issue or motherboard issue. Check all your connections again, and you may want to power up the system outside of the case. You want to make sure you aren't causing anything to short out accidentally.

Tried one stick of memory and tried using different slots too. I did pull it out of the case and I put it on the anti-static bag that it came in. As for the CMOS, I physically pulled the battery and let it reset before putting it back in and turning it on.

Any other possible solutions? I am pretty much going to exchange or return the motherboard for another as soon as I can. I don't see any other possible ways of making it work.

Tried one stick of memory and tried using different slots too. I did pull it out of the case and I put it on the anti-static bag that it came in. As for the CMOS, I physically pulled the battery and let it reset before putting it back in and turning it on.

Any other possible solutions? I am pretty much going to exchange or return the motherboard for another as soon as I can. I don't see any other possible ways of making it work.

Try exchanging the mobo. I have built 3 systems with that UD4P... the one time I had issue was due to a faulty power supply. It would not power on at all. After RMA'ing PSU that system worked just fine.

Thanks a lot for all the help, I'll keep everyone posted when I get the board replaced. This has been frustrating, but hopefully once I get a new board it'll all just work! :)

It was a faulty board after all. I got the new board it worked just fine. Is it supposed to take several seconds to get to post? I think I saw another thread about that, but I just want to make sure.

Also anyone with the UD4P can give me some tips about the overclocking? Do I need to set the RAM voltage to 1.64V or 1.66V and the RAM speed to 1600MHz before overclocking the BCLK or after? Or do I just let the BCLK take care of speeding up the RAM speed?

Last edited:
Personally setting up 2 machine with each board, you cant go wrong with either.

Thanks ZzBloopzZ, that's quite handy! I think they left out that most RAM should be at 1.64V or 1.66V though.

BTW how do you spread thermal grease on your S1283? Do you do a rice grain method, two or three lines method, or spread a thin layer on the entire CPU? Because my temps are higher than I expected, I used the rice grain method and I don't think that works with the way the heatpipes are set up.

with that vid card i don't think you'll get much out of a 550 psu, im using a 750 with a gtx280 and i still feel i need more, but hard drives do suck the power, i haven't made the jump to ssd's yet, but its coming

I beg to differ, I've been using this setup for the last 3 months or so and I've had no problems so far. I checked the power usage at the wall and it's only about 200W! Not even half of the 450W PSU. I think I might need a bit more if I ever upgrade to the 5870 though.

Back