Decided to play Painkiller again

Comte

Gawd
In honor of Halloween, I decided to play Painkiller again. I dont think I have played this since I had a Nvidia 6800.....

Oh, my gosh, this game looks awesome on a ATI X1950Pro....Not only do I have a frame rate of about 90 constantly, the colors and detail are amazing, and the heat waves off the back of the tanks, the engines on the airplanes, and the UFO are simply the best I have ever seen...
If you have this game, and you are looking for something to play until the one your waiting on comes out, crack open Painkiller on a X1950, or an equvilent Nvidia card.......It would be well worth it...

In honor of Halloween, I decided to play Painkiller again. I dont think I have played this since I had a Nvidia 6800.....

Oh, my gosh, this game looks awesome on a ATI X1950Pro....Not only do I have a frame rate of about 90 constantly, the colors and detail are amazing, and the heat waves off the back of the tanks, the engines on the airplanes, and the UFO are simply the best I have ever seen...
If you have this game, and you are looking for something to play until the one your waiting on comes out, crack open Painkiller on a X1950, or an equvilent Nvidia card.......It would be well worth it...

it was a very good game :)

Great game. The game's graphics and physics wow'd me back in 2004 when I first picked up my 9600XT. :p

Have you patched it / installed Battle Out of Hell? The engine got overhauled for the expansion, and the update was also released as a patch. IIRC adds SM3 effects, bloom and a couple of other things. Looks better than ever.

I too still play this game, it's probably my favorite of all games. I still have loads of screenshots from it. I loved the big guy that turned into something like a tornadoe.

Have you patched it / installed Battle Out of Hell? The engine got overhauled for the expansion, and the update was also released as a patch. IIRC adds SM3 effects, bloom and a couple of other things. Looks better than ever.

I patched it but havent played Battle out of Hell again. I cant wait to check it out. And Overdose looks interesting...

I also just started again, while showing the game to a friend who had never seen it. As soon as I got into level 1 I knew I had to play through it all again, including BOOH and I just downloaded the overdose demo as well.
all-time best weapons+beautiful art direction+ frenetic action = the win.

I had fun with the game......enemies up the ass, if I recall.
Battle out of Hell was really buggy for me. Does the latest patch smooth that out????
Wouldnt mind going back there again.

Bought a used copy off of Amazon for $6 shipped :p

I read the review and it looks great, looking forward to playing after I beat Bioshock.

wow, the steam version is unplayable, or there's something wrong. It seems to jump from normal speed to massively fast, then back again, and the walking is jerky (like he has a peg leg) and making me sick as a dog :(

edit: Core affinity. Joy.

well, that was the biggest waste of $10 I've ever done.

Maybe it'll be fun co-op :(

Painkiller was always a fantastic game. I wasn't too fond of the expansion though and the new one out soon is also a bit dodgy.

The original is just perfect...Stake gun, zombies, gibs, grenades. Bliss.

Painkiller was always a fantastic game. I wasn't too fond of the expansion though and the new one out soon is also a bit dodgy.

The original is just perfect...Stake gun, zombies, gibs, grenades. Bliss.

I can't stand the guns so far, and the first boss is simply stupid. Please tell me it gets better after this :( WAY too much brown and fog in the outdoor sections.

Gorgeous architecture though, and the enemies are passable. :)

Painkiller took its game direction from Serious Sam... deff a great title.. but I guarantee that if you liked Painkiller, you'd really enjoy Serious Sam games. Some of the most fun games to play... all fun, no grum :) They take me back to the days of Quake 1 and Doom.

Painkiller took its game direction from Serious Sam... deff a great title.. but I guarantee that if you liked Painkiller, you'd really enjoy Serious Sam games. Some of the most fun games to play... all fun, no grum :) They take me back to the days of Quake 1 and Doom.

Serious sam and SS:SE are two of my favorite games of all time. Especially Co-op.

Sadly, painkiller just misses the mark by a mile for me. Uninstalled. Threw in SS:SE though, gonna blast through that again :D

Hear hear! Coop should be included in any new PK versions (too late now, I know). Coop is is what made Serious Sam sooo cool "its us humans against the hoards!"

Painkiller's one of my favourite FPS games, the story is pretty bad but the gameplay is damn near perfect for that style game. The Serious Sam games are also awesome, although I find that Painkiller is more of an up close and personal game whereas Serious Sam is more of a 'stay back and shoot the crap out of hundreds of enemies with your minigun' game. Both are very awesome :D.

PS: Painkiller has quite possibly the best textures I've ever seen in a game, even three years after it came out. Seriously, next time you fire up the game take a close look at some of the walls and objects with textures set to maximum.

lol.. I can't get enough of this game. I just find it absolutely hilarious for some reason - the brutal riffs combined with shooting demonic creatures is such a metalhead stereotype I guess :D

Unfortunately Chapter 2 Level 4 (snowy bridge) is being buggy as hell for me - I climbed up a ladder and intead of getting off at the top, I just got shot about half a mile into the air and died on the way back down :confused: And I'm like floating around all over the place.. I went up through the roof at one point :rolleyes:

I'm hoping it's just because I found out that my CPU isn't prime stable at it's overclock anymore.. 6 minutes at 2.9GHz. I suppose if that was the cause, it's pretty impressive that the game managed to get me that far on such an unstable CPU.. running on the crapped out core, no less

PS: Painkiller has quite possibly the best textures I've ever seen in a game, even three years after it came out. Seriously, next time you fire up the game take a close look at some of the walls and objects with textures set to maximum.

I noticed that as well.

:wtf: are you talkign about?

No, seriously. I'm not seeing it. Everything maxed out on my 7950GT, and I'm seeing bland, boring, not that detailed for the textures at all, and this is with the expansion installed. HL2 looks far better, let alone crysis or farcry.

edit: And most of the worlds, excepting the church (I'm still on the first chapter: Can't beat the boss, and too many other things to play right now), have been brown tunnels or gray graveyards.

Really, is there something I'm missing? :confused: :(

:wtf: are you talkign about?

No, seriously. I'm not seeing it. Everything maxed out on my 7950GT, and I'm seeing bland, boring, not that detailed for the textures at all, and this is with the expansion installed. HL2 looks far better, let alone crysis or farcry.

edit: And most of the worlds, excepting the church (I'm still on the first chapter: Can't beat the boss, and too many other things to play right now), have been brown tunnels or gray graveyards.

Really, is there something I'm missing? :confused: :(

Arent opinions great? :p And why bother even mentioning Crysis?

Arent opinions great? :p And why bother even mentioning Crysis?

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing :( I loved the SS series, but this game is nothing but frustrating and looks brown and bland too. I'm either not playing the same game you all are, or Codemasters spiked your coffee with happy juice

Hell, I can't beat the first boss (looking for a trainer right now just to get past him. free hits anywhere in the playfield aren't fun, nor fair). That, plus almost no health in levels is just blah. :(

edit: Nevermind. No trainers for the steam version. Forget it: I'm deleting it to free up space. I'll stick with serious sam. Someday I may try this again on an easier difficulty, but a boss that can hit you anywhere, anytime, is cheap.

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing :( I loved the SS series, but this game is nothing but frustrating and looks brown and bland too. I'm either not playing the same game you all are, or Codemasters spiked your coffee with happy juice

Hell, I can't beat the first boss (looking for a trainer right now just to get past him. free hits anywhere in the playfield aren't fun, nor fair). That, plus almost no health in levels is just blah. :(

Fair enough. When I first played the Painkiller Demo back in '04ish I was blown away by the textures and gameplay. And then a few months ago I decided to play it again, and was again impressed by the texture detail, particularly on the models. I dont really remember specifics as I havent played it in a while but that undead town level and the zombies up close looked pretty outstanding, as well as other parts. By the way, the first boss wasnt that hard :D

I was also impressed by HL2 and Far Cry as well. But Painkiller has a different art direction than either of those. And comparing it to Crysis is just unfair.

Fair enough. When I first played the Painkiller Demo back in '04ish I was blown away by the textures and gameplay. And then a few months ago I decided to play it again, and was again impressed by the texture detail, particularly on the models. I dont really remember specifics as I havent played it in a while but that undead town level and the zombies up close looked pretty outstanding, as well as other parts. By the way, the first boss wasnt that hard :D

I've tried him 16 times now, and I've gotten close, but never managed to beat him, and I got SS all the way through on the hardest solo. The fucker is HARD, especially since I don't have a lot of stake ammo and there's not enough in the level to get the job done.

Use the shotgun and aim for the legs. When you get him down lower and he starts using his stronger attacks, switch to the stake gun and hit him with the secondary fire as many times as you can, he should be easier to hit and it does a lot of damage. Also equip the best tarot cards you have, they can help a lot. Most of his attacks aren't hard to dodge, the spikes coming from the ground you just have to run from, and when he slams down just avoid his arm, he moves pretty slowly so if you move quickly and bunnyhop you shouldn't have any trouble. Aside from that, he'll mainly just spawn some enemies, which you should take out as fast as possible to prevent them from getting in the way. When you get to the second stage of the fight and he starts using his tornado attack, go in close and stay between his legs. That's the perfect time to hit him with the secondary fire from the stake gun like I mentioned before.

I'm not fond of the new Painkiller, I enjoyed the older one much MUCH more. The demo was a let down. :(

I'm not fond of the new Painkiller, I enjoyed the older one much MUCH more. The demo was a let down. :(

Agreed, unfortunately. The new game is by a different developer though, it was initially a mod but got picked up and developed into a full game. That sort of explains why it's not great.

Use the shotgun and aim for the legs. When you get him down lower and he starts using his stronger attacks, switch to the stake gun and hit him with the secondary fire as many times as you can, he should be easier to hit and it does a lot of damage. Also equip the best tarot cards you have, they can help a lot. Most of his attacks aren't hard to dodge, the spikes coming from the ground you just have to run from, and when he slams down just avoid his arm, he moves pretty slowly so if you move quickly and bunnyhop you shouldn't have any trouble. Aside from that, he'll mainly just spawn some enemies, which you should take out as fast as possible to prevent them from getting in the way. When you get to the second stage of the fight and he starts using his tornado attack, go in close and stay between his legs. That's the perfect time to hit him with the secondary fire from the stake gun like I mentioned before.

The legs are covered in metal and take no damage, unless you mean above that (which I do). Problem is I always get stepped on, and that's 1/2 your health right there. I can get him down to one or two more hits, but always get beat down.

And cards? What cards? I'm not wasting time in a level getting all the gold or searching for boxes to get a card :p

And he's not moving slow... I get maybe 1 second, max, from windup to hit. it's almost instantaneous. He's also doign a sideways swipe instead of the down slam: You can't acutally dodge it if you're not out of range.

Meh. It's honestly not worth it. Too many new good games out to play, and I'm even playing some not-so-good ones, to spend time on something old. It kept me entertained long enough for some other things to come out (Jericho, NHL08, Hellgate even). I'll just chalk this one up to a $10 lesson that I never got into... Far better than the $120 between Morrowind and Oblivion I blew for a grand sum total of 2 hours of gameplay :)

The legs are covered in metal and take no damage, unless you mean above that (which I do). Problem is I always get stepped on, and that's 1/2 your health right there. I can get him down to one or two more hits, but always get beat down.

And cards? What cards? I'm not wasting time in a level getting all the gold or searching for boxes to get a card :p

And he's not moving slow... I get maybe 1 second, max, from windup to hit. it's almost instantaneous. He's also doign a sideways swipe instead of the down slam: You can't acutally dodge it if you're not out of range.

Meh. It's honestly not worth it. Too many new good games out to play, and I'm even playing some not-so-good ones, to spend time on something old. It kept me entertained long enough for some other things to come out (Jericho, NHL08, Hellgate even). I'll just chalk this one up to a $10 lesson that I never got into... Far better than the $120 between Morrowind and Oblivion I blew for a grand sum total of 2 hours of gameplay :)

Fair enough, I guess it's just not your type of game.

I honestly don't see what's hard about it

I ran around for a while just killing guys trying to figure out what to do - when I realized he could take damage it was all over. Just shoot a million rockets at his leg above the armor, when you run out shoot the primary fire at him and he'll be done. It's not hard not to get stepped on or hit, especially since he can't really smash you with his hands when you're right next to him.

I honestly don't see what's hard about it

I ran around for a while just killing guys trying to figure out what to do - when I realized he could take damage it was all over. Just shoot a million rockets at his leg above the armor, when you run out shoot the primary fire at him and he'll be done. It's not hard not to get stepped on or hit, especially since he can't really smash you with his hands when you're right next to him.

Rockets? :confused:

What rockets? I have no rocket launcher. I have a shotgun, a stake launcher (with only about 15 rounds), and that goofy laser/spinny sword thingamajig.

This game was the ultimate in "turn your brain off and just kill everything" gaming. I spent hours with the stake gun stapling zombies to walls. If i ever come home from work angry I fire up a little PK, the horrible storyline and voice acting are great for a laugh and nothing vents stress and anger like seeing that you killed 350 baddies in 15 minutes. :D

Rockets? :confused:

What rockets? I have no rocket launcher. I have a shotgun, a stake launcher (with only about 15 rounds), and that goofy laser/spinny sword thingamajig.

Secondary fire on the stake launcher

I'm not sure what exactly they are, they just looked like rockets to me. Run around the level and pick up all the ammo you can get (the middle ruins particularly have lots of stake launcher primary and secondary ammo, and four +25 healths).

Secondary fire on the stake launcher

I'm not sure what exactly they are, they just looked like rockets to me. Run around the level and pick up all the ammo you can get (the middle ruins particularly have lots of stake launcher primary and secondary ammo, and four +25 healths).

it's a grenade launcher, and they just bounce off more than they explode, it seems.

it's a grenade launcher, and they just bounce off more than they explode, it seems.

I don't know man, they never bounced off for me. I just fired them off as fast as possible at his leg and like 2/3 of his health was gone right there.

Never finished this one. It got a little boring. Although the boss battles are amazing.

Back