Decided to get a new laptop rather than a new motorcycle...

Detman101

Limp Gawd
Yeah yeah, I figure I'll just keep my current bike and get a new laptop instead.
I'm looking for a nice 15 inch that can run at least 5 hours on the battery but can also handle moderate gaming (IE: NO INTEGRATED GPU).

Would anyone have any suggestions I can check into for a notebook that can perform as I've specified?

I would prefer any personal experiences if possible because I know that you all have lots of experience with laptops.
Oh, by the way...my current laptop is an Averatec 3715-EH1. It runs great and is great for everything but disconnecting from the power brick and running any games. I need to be able to disconnect from the wall for more than two hours and also play some relatively new 3d games like RTCW and JK:3. This laptop can't do that (well). :(

TIA,
Dm

Detman101 said:
Would the Lenovo 3000 N-100 do the trick? I can get it with the 9-cell battery and the 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 with Turbo Cache.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/3000/n-series/index.html

Would that be enough to run HL2 and Quake4?

its not likely that you'll be able to have a laptop that has dedicated graphics that'll run 5+ hrs. and turbo cache means it uses the system ram up to 128mb, so its not dedicated graphics, but better than integrated graphics. you either need to sacrafice the battery life or go integrated, can't have both. I do believe most laptops that have integrated graphics will give you 3 hrs or less at full load.

Outrigger said:
its not likely that you'll be able to have a laptop that has dedicated graphics that'll run 5+ hrs. and turbo cache means it uses the system ram up to 128mb, so its not dedicated graphics, but better than integrated graphics. you either need to sacrafice the battery life or go integrated, can't have both. I do believe most laptops that have integrated graphics will give you 3 hrs or less at full load.

Oh, well...hmm....Tough choices.
How about a laptop that gets 5 hours surfing the net and typing AND can play games like HL2 and Quake4 while plugged in?

My averatec 3715 EH1 only gets about 1.5 hours on a fully charged battery with the screen dimmed and the cpu underclocked when not needed. It's pathetic. :mad:

I heard about a T42 and a e1705 but I don't know what those are. :(

The dell E1705 is a 17" desktop replacement ..i don't think it's what you are looking for, but you can always check it out at dell.com ...i don't know how much you want to spend but the dell xps 1210 i think would do the trick..just upgrade to the 9 cell lithium battery and i believe that the xps will fit your needs..for around $1700.

Cwalk said:
The dell E1705 is a 17" desktop replacement ..i don't think it's what you are looking for, but you can always check it out at dell.com ...i don't know how much you want to spend but the dell xps 1210 i think would do the trick..just upgrade to the 9 cell lithium battery and i believe that the xps will fit your needs..for around $1700.

I've heard that the XPS laptops get reeeeeeally hot.
:(

I haven't heard or seen much on how hot they get ...maybe someone who owns one can shed some light on this subject.

With those requirements, i would set my sights down to ~3 hours battery life. You can't always have your cake and eat it to as they say. That isn't anymore true than with laptops. When you start in with 15.4" widescreens and high powered graphics the first hit is in battery life and portability. I would give the Dell E1505 some serious consideration for your requirements. It runs cool, packs a x1400 GPU, 15.4" widescreen, gets around 3+ hours of battery while web surfing, and it's very cheap to boot.

Back