Decided on my new build.

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
It took a while but I decided to move forward. My 5 year old Gen 2, reliable as it is, is just getting long in the tooth and some of the tech stuff I want is just not there.

So... here's the parts list:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/37Y453ISTDZEE/ref=cm_wl_list_o_2?

Using an existing Corsair AX860i Power Supply and my AMD 290x Graphics Card. I'll be getting a new Vega card whenever the damn things ship.

Half of it is here, half comes tomorrow. UPS comes very late here and my legs are still recovering from little adventure so what would normally take me about 6 hours to build will probably take a few days or more.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have no complaints about that build. If I did one today it would look very familiar to that.

Do you have a cooler? K chips do not come with one anymore.

Oh, yeah. CoolerMaser 212 Evo

I do believe my 7700k has a cooler in the box though.... Wait... Ah god dammit. I'm sure glad you mentioned that.

I ordered a non k FUCK

Off to Microcenter real quick LOL

Last edited:
Ok. Crisis averted. Thanks for catching that !!!

Non-K 7700 going back to Amazon. Picked up the proper 7700K at Microcenter.

Since the PSU's were also several years old, I decided to get a new one of those as well. Picked up a Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Watt Modular.

Let the build commence :)

All built and running great. No real issues encountered.

Pro Tip: Connect the 12v cable to the Motherboard BEFORE you install the board. It was a mother to install afterward :)

Talk about fast boot !!! It's all of 5 seconds after post is done :)

Now all I need is my new AMD card. C'mon AMD !!! Get off yer asses and SHIP!

So how well does the new rig crunch World Community Grid?

So how well does the new rig crunch World Community Grid?

I dunno, but I was going to ask what benchmark to run to make sure everything is running at top, factory, speed at least :)

This is probably the nicest machine I've built (out of dozens over the years). It's quiet, fast, boots in like 5 seconds, and so far perfectly stable.

WCG will definitely make sure everything is running top-notch. lol

It took a while but I decided to move forward. My 5 year old Gen 2, reliable as it is, is just getting long in the tooth and some of the tech stuff I want is just not there.

So... here's the parts list:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/37Y453ISTDZEE/ref=cm_wl_list_o_2?

Using an existing Corsair AX860i Power Supply and my AMD 290x Graphics Card. I'll be getting a new Vega card whenever the damn things ship.

Half of it is here, half comes tomorrow. UPS comes very late here and my legs are still recovering from little adventure so what would normally take me about 6 hours to build will probably take a few days or more.

Why not Ryzen?

Why the SATA drive. A

And960 Pro NVMe would be a lot faster and not much more money!

On paper but not in reality. And nearly 50% more is not just a little more money :)

My boot time after post is like 5 seconds. I'm quite happy with that.

Why the SATA drive. A 960 Pro NVMe would be a lot faster and not much more money!

Last edited:
Question. Is there a reason you went with a SATA SSD instead of an M.2 with better performance?

I mean, yeah, a 950 Pro or 960 Pro at $6-700 is probably a bit...much.

But a 960 Evo has a price differential of only about $20-30.

Back