Decent FREE MPEG2 editor to cut commercials

docmal

Limp Gawd
I need a decent FREE editor to cut commercials in stuff I record from my pvr500. The recorded files are in mpeg2 format. I want to cut commercials, and NOT re-encode the video, then I want to burn the video to a dvd.

Can anyone recommend something? I have tried videoRedo but im not paying 50 bucks for something like this.

good luck and let me know if you find anything. Everthing I have found that is free reencodes the vid all the time and takes forever.

I have tried everything, and found nothing. I guess the only solution is to buy MPEG-VCR or VideoReDo. Niether of which are products worthy of the $50 license in my opinion. Maybe if you could apply some filters and clean up some noise but niether allows you to do that.

Anyway, now I am in search of a dvd authoring software that does not re-encode the video. I have Nero Vision 4 and it seems to transcode the video everytime and takes about 1.5 hours to burn an entire DVD, is this normal? What exactly is transcoding as opposed to encoding?

It works though, I guess I should be happy about that but I don't want it to take 2 hours to burn a DVD everytime.

as far as I know that is normal. It is taking an existing video stream and applying your cahnges throughout. I use ulead products myself.

You might look at virtualdub. I don't know if it lets you edit MPEG2 streams without reencoding (or whether MPEG2 allows you to do that in the first place), but it's free and fast.

Mohonri said:
You might look at virtualdub. I don't know if it lets you edit MPEG2 streams without reencoding (or whether MPEG2 allows you to do that in the first place), but it's free and fast.
I think vdubmod (part of gordian knot) can handle mpeg2 files, but it tries to parse the whole file first which can take a damn long time when dealing with gigabyte file sizes, especially over a network connection.

You could always use a basic hex editor like xvi32 but finding just the right spot would be a real pita ;)

There is an Mpeg2 version of VirtualDub somewhere (Ironically, called VirtualDubMpeg2), or there was years ago when I downloaded it. In addition to parsing the file, it does re-encode anything it saves rather than joining parts back together. I still use it with dvrmstoolbox until there's a better (free) solution for dvr-ms files.

To followup, GopChop works okay but if you're using MythTV 0.19, use the internal system and lossless transcoding. It works better. Except when you flub it and get a chunk of commercial in the output :(. Time to try again!

Back