Decent Core Duo/Merom mATX board?

sleepeeg3

Supreme [H]ardness
From D's sticky...
Core Duo S479 (i945GM):
AOpen i945GTm-VHL - SODIMMs and expensive
AOpen i945GTm-HIL - discontinued (prob replaced by board above)
Gigabyte GA-8I945GTMF-Y-RH * - discontinued (prob replaced by unreleased GA-8I945GTMF-Y-RH)
Asus N4L-VM DH - No vcore, problems with 2GB of RAM - crap
MSI 945GT Speedstre-A4R - no vcore, fsb limited to 200fsb - crap

Looking for something that has some standard OC options that is going to let me run Merom. Does anyone know of anything that is available to buy right now?

All core duo boards are aimed at lower power/HTPC/silent/office/workstation setups. Beggars cant be choosers in this arena and you wont find a board with any reputable OCing or OC options at all. Its just like the P-M boards...all youll really get is FSB VIA jumpers and limited OCing VIA bios.

If it was me, ide go with the ASUS or the MSI.

No overclocking! :eek: No way. Sacrilicious. The ASUS won't even do 2GB of mem.

What would your recommendations be for a Conroe board?

Ya I figured that out. Still looking. It looks like the VIA PT880 Pro northbridge will support it, so if anyone can find a microATX version...

I have been stuck with this ASUS N4L, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I had to remove 1 gig of ram to get it stable, as soon as I add the second gig I start getting freezes and lockups.

I would be all over the Aopen 975X board if they did a M-ATX version.

The best option if you HAVE to buy now is the Asrock Rev 2 board which is has everything but CPU voltage adjustment :/ I think there should be a couple of decent ones, there is a list on XS with quite a few MATX mobos on it, there are a couple of xpress200 epox ones and various 945 based boards.

Ya, I have looked at that thread a couple times... The ASRock is not available in North America, even though he says it is available. I could probably settle for something simple until the better boards come out, but I was hoping to get something with some OC potential and not have to take a loss on an uber expensive board.

Going to go check out that thread again to see if anything is new...

Back