Decent 5GHz router?

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
It seems like the only 5GHz routers available nowadays are dual band, which is fine if that is what it must be. But all I am looking for is a good 5GHz router that will be operating at 802.11a, not N.

It needs to have good range too.

So far I was looking at this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127258

Also, will I lose a lot of range when compared to 802.11g? Right now the wireless G router being used is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124284.

What is "good" range?

To me that could be 100ft in circular-diameter and to you it could be 1,000ft.

I mean it's like going into an Auto Dealership and saying "I need good mileage."

Ok, well is that 15 Mpg or 30Mpg?

What is "good" range?

To me that could be 100ft in circular-diameter and to you it could be 1,000ft.

I mean it's like going into an Auto Dealership and saying "I need good mileage."

Ok, well is that 15 Mpg or 30Mpg?

I don't know the square footage of the house, but it is large. 4-5 bedrooms. Unfortunately the current router is mounted in the basement against the wall in the front of the house. The router does provide full coverage throughout the house, but the signal is low. Only reason to switch is because of interference on the 2.4GHz band. I am trying to get him to just replace his cordless phones instead, but we will see what happens.

If I had to guess on square footage, I would probably say 4,000 including the basement. And it is a two story house.

Does he already have 802.11a cards? If you need to buy all new gear for another band anyway, I'd suggest going with the current 600Mb/s 802.11n over the old 54Mb/s 802.11a. I assume you have a good reason (upgrade costs) to go with a, but if not, it seems stupid to me not to go with n.

Does he already have 802.11a cards? If you need to buy all new gear for another band anyway, I'd suggest going with the current 600Mb/s 802.11n over the old 54Mb/s 802.11a. I assume you have a good reason (upgrade costs) to go with a, but if not, it seems stupid to me not to go with n.

He already has a built-in Intel Pro abg wireless card that works with 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

Considering his light Internet browsing, he would not benefit from additional speeds of N. If I do upgrade his router to something with 5GHz, it will support wireless N anyway. So if his range is not good using A, then I would pop in a wireless N card.

The only thing I really care about is a wireless router using 5GHz, that has as good as if not better coverage than this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124284.

Getting an access-point or another router and bridging it upstairs instead of in the basement might be a better solution. Cheaper too.

I did that with my two WRT54Gs and I have full coverage upstairs and down.

Guessing the house is about 2,400-3,000 SQ FT alone then.

Decently sized, but not HUGE. The above should be acceptable for the SQFT.

I will do that if I have to. But I am just interested in what is a good 5GHz router?

I'm not up on this subject at all. Whats the advantage of a 5Ghz router over 2.4?

I'm not up on this subject at all. Whats the advantage of a 5Ghz router over 2.4?

In this case the customer has too many 2.4GHz cordless phones messing up his connection to the router. Either he changes the cordless phones or switches to a 5GHz router.

Hopefully he just gets the DECT 6.0 cordless phones (1.9GHz), but just in case he calls and wants to change his router, I want to make sure the 5GHz I get will work well.

Back