Debian and XP Dual Boot / Sep. HD's

Viper16

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay I searched the forums looking, although being an American, I did not dig around too hard :p

Question:

I have XP on my "C:" HD and Debian on my "I:" drive. I want to duel boot and installed GRUB after the Debian installation. GRUB saw XP and I finished the installation. It reboots and XP starts up with no question of boot sequence. I check the drives and "I:" is no longer recognizable a drive letter but I can see it under Disk Management. It has the ext3 file system on it so I do not know if that could be a problem. I am lost at what to do now? I don't have anything GRUB related on my C: drive and I do not have a boot.ini file anywhere in my C:\

Cliff notes: I want to dual boot with dual hd's. XP on C: and Debian on I:...boot strapper 'Grub' isn't on c:\

Thanks in advance

viper

You need to install GRUB to the MBR of the disk that is labeled as your C: drive.

does it matter that my XP drive is SATA and my Debian is one an IDE?

If they are on seperate drives, why does it matter? You pick what drive you want to boot in the BIOS before you even get to a bootloader.

If they are on seperate drives, why does it matter? You pick what drive you want to boot in the BIOS before you even get to a bootloader.

hmm...when I checked out the bios it only gave me the option to boot from a hard drive...no options to choose which HD...I'll take a second look.

Yea when I bring up my boot menu during boot (F12), I can select individual HDD's to boot from.

Yea when I bring up my boot menu during boot (F12), I can select individual HDD's to boot from.

I found it...thanks! I just wasn't in the right screen. Once I get Debian working I may try and tinker with getting it to bring up a screen for some dual-boot action. :cool:

Back