Debian 7.8 "Wheezy" not supported yet on HIPC box

Daedalus0101101

Weaksauce
So I bought this box based purely on seeing the size that another user here purchased. I thought the box was perfect and would fit anywhere I wanted it and I was correct at first. I installed Debian 7.8 " Weezy" and came to find out that the USB controller is not supported. How could I install it then you say? When you first boot the system, it is running on the BIOS system itself. When you install an OS and boot to it, it runs on that. Since the OS does not support the USB Controller, it "dies" right after booting into the OS. I cant configure any of the settings. I can't login to the console of the box. I can't even enable DHCP to where I can get it an IP address and log in remotely.

I wanted to throw out a warning to anyone purchasing this particular box that could be having difficulties getting Weezy up and running.

Intel Celeron J1900 Quad Core

I will be trying to install various Linux/Unix based systems on this to see if I can find any other compatible systems so that other people don't have to suffer what I went through for a few days. I would at least like to do something with this box other than be pissed that it didnt exceed my expectation. I gave it a high hoping since the price and hardware was right. I am merely hoping that I can recover and find a use for this decent piece of hardware. Hardware wise, I added a 120GB mSATA drive and 4GB RAM. It has the potential to be a decent little device for something but since it failed my initial hoping, I'm just not sure what yet.

I have not as yet to try install any further release of Debian on this box. I can not confirm or deny any further support of this hardware on any further version of Debian other than 7.8.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
try on Debian 8.x

do you know what is the usb chipset ID or manufature name?

I have J1800 foxconn.. Ubuntu 4.X, promox 4.X, centos 7.X are running ok
I think, baytrail d has linux support on kernel 3.4.X... (correct me please)

FreeBSD 10.2 also supports the Bay Trail platform just fine. Exactly what do you want to do?

Like Cantalup says, try det 8.x Debian, why even run a older version?, when you are installing a new system.
allways verify hardware with the newest version of a given OS.

Why would you start with an old version of Debian right from the start? I don't think people need a warning that newer hardware may not be supported on old versions of Linux :p

And for newer hardware, Debian probably isn't the right place to start anyway. Many other distros roll in hardware support and updated kernels faster than Debian to support newer hardware.

FreeBSD 10.2 also supports the Bay Trail platform just fine. Exactly what do you want to do?

there are two baytraik
baytrial (for tabet/cheap mobile) and baytrail D (desktop)

the graphical chips are not identical..

make sure support all Bay Trail model.

J1/2 baytrail, is bay trail D.

I believe freebsd 10.X does not support baytrail D videos. just standard vesa frame buffer..

and make sure to check support on audio chips too......

Wow. you get T-Boned by a person texting and driving and a lot happens.

1. This is going to be an Untangle box, so I can not change the version of Debian. Out of my hands.

2. i will try to get the chipset manufacturer and / or ID.

Wow. you get T-Boned by a person texting and driving and a lot happens.

1. This is going to be an Untangle box, so I can not change the version of Debian. Out of my hands.

2. i will try to get the chipset manufacturer and / or ID.

current untangle should support baytrail D as I understand.

I'm pretty sure it does. I need to try and reinstall with XHCI enabled and EHCI Disabled. I installed it with EHCI enabled, and when I switch the USB mode after the install is a bit screwy.

Back