debating dell 2005 or 2405 or 2407

i am gonna order my alienware aurora 7500 soon and i was wondering if i run my desktop at 1024x like 8 something or whatever it is (sorry don't know alot about monitors). will i see a difference between the 2405 and 2407. i was thinking about buying a a 2405 because when the 2407's come out people myabe be selling their 2405s. also i play on a 17 inch crt and i was alos thinknig if i a 2005 is big enough for me, i think it is but just in case i don't know if i should get one in the 24 series

24" seems gorgeous, no doubt.

What will your checkbook be comfortable with? Today's 24" @ $1000 is going to be next years bargain @ $600, that is the way of it. 20" is a lot of monitor if you are coming from a 17" screen. Will you want to have something to look forward to in a few years meaning want to get the 24" down the line? Might want to contemplate that carefully before buying.

The other thing is that one monitor often leads to two these days. I have the 2405 and a 21.3 next to it. And even I consider what it might be like to have a 2nd 2407 and then give the 21.3 to family.

My view on 20 vs 24 is if you are VERY comfortable with the price of either, get the 24. It is a fantastic monitor, no doubt.

Now on the 2405 vs 2407 debate. The 2405 can be had for a really great price right now. That shouldn't be ignored because the 2407 isn't going to be that much of an upgrade. However, do you watch movies on your pc? Not someday you might, but do you do it now? If you don't, then the 2405. If you do, and you think running HD movies would be incredible then get the 2407.

Long answer but many angles to consider

you might want to read up about LCD technology, i'm not sure if you know exacly how it works. If you get the 2005 you MUST use 1680x1050 resolution (ok, you don't HAVE too, but it will look like shit if you don't), and the 2405/2407 needs 1900x1200 resolution. LCD's have an exact amount of pixels, and they don't look good if you use any other resolutions. You should make sure your graphics card and CPU are up to running 1900x1200 resolution if you're going to get the 24 inch model.

dont even bother with the 2005fpw. I had one and like thousands others had terrible backlight bleed. It's now back with dell where it belongs! the picture quality is also not bad but there are much better monitors out there for your money.Size wise its its huge. probably best to check one out at our local store if poss. believe me, my 20" acer widescreen fills most of my desk up.

I can highly recommend this monitor (Acer AL2032WA) and if you really want a bigger one I have seen some excellent reviews for the 2405fpw.

This link should help you out:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/139/widescreen-tfts/products.html

p.s go for the athlon x2 4200 cpu. it easily overclocks to over 2.4 ghz which is more than the 4400 x2 pre overclock but will save you ££££

i'm actually struggling with the same issue.

I sort of "ran into" a bit of money (around 5 or 6 hundred bucks), and my birthday is comming up.

I have the funds to purchase a 2405, but am really starting to wonder if maybe I should just say "meh" and save myself a couple hundrew bucks and get a smaller LCD.

Personally, I watch movies/tv eps (divx stuff, not HD normally) and also do a lot of photoshop work. All I have right now is my laptops 14" LCD - going from a single 14" LCD to a 24" LCD is a huge jump, and to be honest pretty exciting. BUT, its ALL of my extra cash. It's temping to get a 20" or so, which would still be a really nice upgrade.

Anyway, not trying to jack your thread, just sharing my similar situation :)

I'm also in a similar dilemma. I'm debating between the 2007 or the 2407. I'd like to stick to the smaller, but I'm trying to out how well 1080 signals, like from an xbox 360/ps3 will look on a 1680x1050 versus 1900x1200.

You'll either get a warped image missing 15 pixels on top and bottom, or have to run at 720p. I think you're better off getting the 2405/2407 and have 60px black bars on top and bottom.

Eurin

I had the the same dilemma and agonised over it for ages.I too needed something to run my xbox360 as well as my pc.get the acer I mentioned above.Plenty of connections and very impressive picture

Hmm, thanks for the tips guys. I'll be watching and waiting on coupons for the 2407. It would be great to have a widescreen hi def monitor for console gaming too.

Back