Death to XFINITY WiFi

Sovereign

2[H]4U
For some inexplicable reason, my laptop is having a love affair with XFINITY WIFI, you know, those dumb Comcast hotspots that are built into people's routers.

Thing is, I have my own wifi. That is saved and set to auto-connect. XFINITY WIFI is set to NOT automatically connect, but about 25% of the time when coming out of hibernation my laptop locks onto it. That causes every tab in Chrome to be "Please sign in" even though I told Windows (8.1 Pro x64) not to automatically connect and to prefer my own network. It's not even in the list of wireless profiles!

How do I get Windows to ignore that network?

Tap the network icon in the taskbar. When the blue slide panel comes in, right-click the xfinitywifi, "forget this network."

I can't do that. "Forget" only shows up for networks that were acknowledged--I already "forgot" it a while ago and yet my computer still seems to have an affinity for it (hence my confusion).

Does it not require a password? Reset that password at Comcast. It can't connect if the password is wrong.

For some inexplicable reason, my laptop is having a love affair with XFINITY WIFI, you know, those dumb Comcast hotspots that are built into people's routers.

Thing is, I have my own wifi. That is saved and set to auto-connect. XFINITY WIFI is set to NOT automatically connect, but about 25% of the time when coming out of hibernation my laptop locks onto it. That causes every tab in Chrome to be "Please sign in" even though I told Windows (8.1 Pro x64) not to automatically connect and to prefer my own network. It's not even in the list of wireless profiles!

How do I get Windows to ignore that network?

Hi, Sovereign,

I recently read an article relating to Comcast's WiFi and turning it off. Unfortunately, I can't find the article right now, but it said the only way to turn the WiFi "always on" was to log in to your Comcast account and turn it off there. If I can locate the article I'll post back.

This seems to be more of a problem with the laptop/OS rather than any WIFI. Is your laptop running any Comcast installed software?

It did it again! For whatever reason, it couldn't "see" any other WiFi until I switched the adapter off and on, so it grabbed onto the xfinity again.

To be clear, this is not my Xfinity wifi; though I have Comcast I only have internet, so they did not furnish me with one of those gateway-things.

@SuperSubZero: Yes it requires a password (to verify that you're a Comcast customer) but that's entered in the browser. So when I open my browser, which does not have any credentials saved for Comcast or this "free internet" ALL my tabs turn into sign in pages for "wifilogin.comcast.net."

@PCMusicGuy: No Comcast bundleware or software.

Do you have third-party wireless adapter driver software installed that is over-riding your windows settings?

Back