Death Stranding - New Kojima game

Somehow missed all your posts before my last one, hah.

I'm just curious; have you played any of the Metal Gear games from Kojima? I'd like to know how those compare for you. Those games I guess seem to follow some of the same tropes you mentioned (man vs machine, overly complex story, some sexualized characters), but so do a lot of non-Japanese games and I think the MSG games that Kojima produced are a bit more westernized than other Japanese games.

Having said that and without watching that 45 min video of the first part of Death Stranding, it looks like this game is going to be even more story-driven than the MGS games and that means probably as much or more cut scenes as them here. Which I'm game for as long as it's interesting, as I've liked many games like that as well.

I haven't ever played any of the Metal Gear Solid games after the first one on the original Nintendo. I've played very few console games. I generally won't get into a series on PC if the whole series isn't available. Some older games don't age well, so simply releasing the whole series won't necessarily get me to play it either.

I haven't ever played any of the Metal Gear Solid games after the first one on the original Nintendo. I've played very few console games. I generally won't get into a series on PC if the whole series isn't available. Some older games don't age well, so simply releasing the whole series won't necessarily get me to play it either.

MGS 1 and 2 were ported to PC soon after the console releases back in the day IIRC. I guess you just missed the boat those. Though I do think that they would hold up fairly well today still despite the antiquated graphics; esp their sound design and game play if you like stealthy games like that. I wish Twin Snakes (remake of MGS on Gamecube) was ported to PC too though. Chronologically for the main games (excluding the NES games) I think it would go MGS3 > MGS5 > MGS > MGS2 > MGS4. So I'm pretty sure you could pick up MGS5 (probably the best in the series actually IMO) right now and following along just fine without any knowledge from the other games. It just ties into the lore pretty well if you had played them.

I'm not really into stealth games. I lack the patience for that. It's why I don't like the Hitman reboot series. I played the previous ones running and gunning and taking out everyone.

MGS 1 and 2 were ported to PC soon after the console releases back in the day IIRC. I guess you just missed the boat those. Though I do think that they would hold up fairly well today still despite the antiquated graphics; esp their sound design and game play if you like stealthy games like that. I wish Twin Snakes (remake of MGS on Gamecube) was ported to PC too though. Chronologically for the main games (excluding the NES games) I think it would go MGS3 > MGS5 > MGS > MGS2 > MGS4. So I'm pretty sure you could pick up MGS5 (probably the best in the series actually IMO) right now and following along just fine without any knowledge from the other games. It just ties into the lore pretty well if you had played them.
I think he talking about the original 1 & 2 on NES. 1 was a bastardized port of the MSX version and 2 wasn't even made my Kojima. Yes the NES one were not well received. The MSX version of 1 was great tho.

I think he talking about the original 1 & 2 on NES. 1 was a bastardized port of the MSX version and 2 wasn't even made my Kojima. Yes the NES one were not well received. The MSX version of 1 was great tho.

He was, but I was still talking about the MGS games, which the NES game's aren't MGS, they're just "Metal Gear". Besides, the MGS games explain enough from those games so you didn't have to play them to understand their backstory.

Dayum, and I was about to preorder it on PS4 too.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and play it now. I'm going to be too busy playing TLOU 2 several times and hopefully Ghosts of Tsushima in early summer when this launches on PC. I really don't care about 60+ FPS and slightly better IQ on a 3rd person story-based game like this. If the game is good enough and launches on PC at a reduced price though, I might pick it up then too. It's not worth doing for RDR2 for me though, so I don't see that happening here either. I'll be more likely to get it and other remasters on PS5 when they get ported to that.

I saw that earlier this morning and that's great. I have a ton of games I want to play so I'll probably just wait until summer to play it on pc.

Still going to play it on the PS4. As I said in the PC thread; I don’t want to be dodging spoilers for the next 6+ months.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I might still get it on PS4 *if* Digital Foundry's 1080p performance profile on PS4 Pro is solid 30fps. If it can't even maintian 30 (as the trailers/gameplay footage so far suggests,) then I'll wait for PC.

I might still get it on PS4 *if* Digital Foundry's 1080p performance profile on PS4 Pro is solid 30fps. If it can't even maintian 30 (as the trailers/gameplay footage so far suggests,) then I'll wait for PC.

Given that this is on the same Decima engine that Horizon ZD was on and that amazingly-detailed game ran on the Pro at 1440p (or 4K checkerboard) with no hitches whatsoever at 30 FPS, I would hope this can do the same or even 1080p/60, which would be a nice option but I doubt they'll offer that.

I didn't even think about avoiding spoilers like Exlink mentioned too. Good call, hah.

Given that this is on the same Decima engine that Horizon ZD was on and that amazingly-detailed game ran on the Pro at 1440p (or 4K checkerboard) with no hitches whatsoever at 30 FPS, I would hope this can do the same or even 1080p/60, which would be a nice option but I doubt they'll offer that.

I didn't even think about avoiding spoilers like Exlink mentioned too. Good call, hah.

Well the nice thing about PS4 Pro is if you're on a 1080p screen, it will render at 1080p regardless if the game in question supports 4k (or something between 1080p and 4k.) In other words you get an actual performance boost on PS4 Pro using 1080p as long as you don't have the supersampling option enabled. This differs from Xbox One X where the games that support 4k render at whatever res whether you're on a 1080p display or not (i.e. it's like the supersampling option on PS4.)

like this
Not sure what I plan to do with this one. It'll probably come down to how tied up with other games I am in a few weeks. This game looks to be visually-focused after all. I don't necessarily don't want to wait around for an indefinite release date, but I'm a sucker for 60fps when possible.

this is one game I really need to see reviews on before buying regardless of platform...gameplay looks boring but has that unique Kojima feel...

this is one game I really need to see reviews on before buying regardless of platform...gameplay looks boring but has that unique Kojima feel...
I'm in the same boat, I have it pre-ordered (Collector's Edition) but if the reviews say its boring then I'll probably buy it digitally when its on sale. I'm just a sucker for Kojima's work.

For all the folks waiting on reviews: Looks like the review embargo is set for Friday (the 1st).

Yeah, IGN said theirs will be up tomorrow. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say they'll give it a 8.2.

reviews are all over the place but I'm seeing a lot of average scores...graphics are getting high praise (especially the character models) but overall it's as I feared regarding gameplay...I took this from one of the reviews which seems to sum it up pretty well...

"The biggest problem for Death Stranding is that the bulk of the gameplay has you manually lugging masses of near-identical crates across the massive map, to drop at identical warehouses for lots of bland holographic side characters...As HUGE Metal Gear Solid and Kojima fans, we were really hoping Death Stranding would be his magnum opus, but overall its story is bloated, lacks his kooky Kojima magic and the overall gameplay just isn't fun enough

There are definitely some really interesting ideas and concepts surrounding the core gameplay – mainly the asynchronous multiplayer, and perhaps this could evolve more once the world has access, a bit like his nuclear disarmament idea from Metal Gear Online...while Death Stranding creates interesting allegories for rebuilding America, connecting with strangers and working together towards a common goal, it's far from an Earth-shattering new genre some have hoped for

Tragically, the novel multiplayer element is underused and under-applied in the overall game.Shop now Buy Death Stranding special edition PS4It pains us to say this, but Death Stranding is more like an elaborate sim for being a one-man Amazon Prime delivery service for the whole of America...despite the beautiful graphics, masterful soundtrack, solid voice acting and fun combat, it's not enough to counterbalance how much of a chore lugging around boxes is"

Seems like a love it or hate it type of game. But I’m seeing many more positive reviews than negative. 84% currently on metacritic. I’ll still buy it as it still looks like a game I’d personally enjoy. But I’ll probably just go with the digital deluxe over the collectors edition.

like this
Kind of disappointing to see a Hideo Kojima game come up short of masterpiece status. Especially a game from his own studio.

Looks like the fear of it being a walking/delivery sim are true. Gamespot mentions not even getting a gun until 25 hours in.

I really think Hideo should stick to linear games like the first 4 MGS games. It's what he does best.

Kind of disappointing to see a Hideo Kojima game come up short of masterpiece status. Especially a game from his own studio.

Looks like the fear of it being a walking/delivery sim are true. Gamespot mentions not even getting a gun until 25 hours in.

I really think Hideo should stick to linear games like the first 4 MGS games. It's what he does best.
Doesn’t need to be completely linear. I really enjoyed MGS5 and it also reviewed very well.

It sounds like this is one of those sit down and chill types of games with spurts of action gameplay. So if you go in with that mindset then you’ll probably like the game. But if you’re expecting more of an action game like the MGS series then you’re in for a rude awakening.

I’m getting it because I like chill games and this game is much different from the recent onslaught of battle royales and looter shooters.

In the end the game probably could be better but Kojima may improve on the formula if Death Stranding 2 is a thing.

People will literally complain about anything. People have said Kojima uses too many cut-scenes, then he makes MGSV and they say the game isn't "Metal Gear" enough and has too little cut-scenes. Kojima tried something new here and the vast majority so far seem to agree it's a good game, and seeing the overall reviews it could be a love it or hate it game, but most seem to like it. I am still looking forward to playing this next Friday. I'm tired of the cookie-cutter bullshit we get from every developer nowadays and i'm glad Kojima is one of the few who still has the balls to try something new. I'm not going to read the reviews but that shit is so fucking objective and a lot of people nowadays add their own politics and shit into reviews.

The average of all the reviews seems to be really good, and really good considering this is Kojima Productions' first game.

One thing I don't like AT ALL is the bizarre inclusion of 4th-wall-shattering product placement/ads, like Monster Energy drinks, ads for that "Ride with Norman Reedus" show, real clothing and accessory makers, shit like that. Why is that in the game??? If there was ever a game where that kind of shit should NOT be included under any circumstances, it's one like Death Stranding (a thoughtful, slow-burn singleplayer experience.)

like this
Seems like a love it or hate it type of game. But I’m seeing many more positive reviews than negative. 84% currently on metacritic. I’ll still buy it as it still looks like a game I’d personally enjoy. But I’ll probably just go with the digital deluxe over the collectors edition.

I'm thinking the same, but just buying the standard digital game. It seems like this game is about the same length as Horizon ZD (50-60 hours), but I played through that game twice and Platinum'd it, so hopefully this will be as entertaining as that game.

One thing I don't like AT ALL is the bizarre inclusion of 4th-wall-shattering product placement/ads, like Monster Energy drinks, ads for that "Ride with Norman Reedus" show, real clothing and accessory makers, shit like that. Why is that in the game??? If there was ever a game where that kind of shit should NOT be included under any circumstances, it's one like Death Stranding (a thoughtful, slow-burn singleplayer experience.)
MGSV regularly broke the 4th wall, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

Whether it's surprising or not based on Kojima's previous games doesn't really change the fact it's dumb and out of place.
I'm not saying it's a good thing, I hate immersion breaking elements in games. I'm saying that it seems to be a pattern.

Whether it's surprising or not based on Kojima's previous games doesn't really change the fact it's dumb and out of place.
It’s Kojima, it’s basically in place to me. I mean look at any Metal Gear Solid game all the way back to the first. Anytime a character was introduced text came up with their name and voice actor. Unless I’m misremembering.

It’s Kojima, it’s basically in place to me. I mean look at any Metal Gear Solid game all the way back to the first. Anytime a character was introduced text came up with their name and voice actor. Unless I’m misremembering.

No you are remembering correctly. Not sure why people are nit-picking bullshit like this when that is typical Kojima.

Damnit, my main fear was true. Guess I'm passing until a big sale some day :/

The guy in the Digital Foundry tech analysis video said it best...

"For me this has been one of the most intriguing games of the year and perhaps of the generation. It's rare that such a large budget can be allocated towards a concept this unique and I appreciate that it exists. While on the surface this is very clearly a game focused on transporting cargo from one area to another, it's what happens on that trail that works so well. For me this is a game that captures the solemn atmosphere of a team eco title or even something like Silent Hill. This mix of horror, quiet exploration, and unique storytelling all works beautifully. I felt that I was done with open-world games as of late but Death Stranding focuses on elements which so many others fail to capitalize on and it works."

Every single game or even open world game can be simplified the way you have saying "It's just a walking simulator..." Witcher 3 you just kill person after person. Half Life you just go down corridors and kill things. Death Stranding is so much more than a walking simulator. It may not be for everyone, but if you are tired of playing the same fucking games over and over and over again and don't want to try anything new then stick with what you want.

Personally I have been eagerly craving of something new. Something different. Something to capture my attention and make me say wtf is going on here... the trailers and music for DS have completely stunned me and I can't wait to play it. I want to be transported to another world and DS might be the best thing this generation to do so.

Last edited:
The guy in the Digital Foundry tech analysis video said it best...

"For me this has been one of the most intriguing games of the year and perhaps of the generation. It's rare that such a large budget can be allocated towards a concept this unique and I appreciate that it exists. While on the surface this is very clearly a game focused on transporting cargo from one area to another, it's what happens on that trail that works so well. For me this is a game that captures the solemn atmosphere of a team eco title or even something like Silent Hill. This mix of horror, quiet exploration, and unique storytelling all works beautifully. I felt that I was done with open-world games as of late but Death Stranding focuses on elements which so many others fail to capitalize on and it works."

Every single game or even open world game can be simplified the way you have saying "It's just a walking simulator..." Witcher 3 you just kill person after person. Half Life you just go down corridors and kill things. Death Stranding is so much more than a walking simulator. It may not be for everyone, but if you are tired of playing the same fucking games over and over and over again and don't want to try anything new then stick with what you want.

Personally I have been eagerly craving of something new. Something different. Something to capture my attention and make me say wtf is going on here... the trailers and music for DS have completely stunned me and I can't wait to play it. I want to be transported to another world and DS might be the best thing this generation to do so.
Last two paragraphs are exactly what I feel.

Haven't read any reviews yet and probably will go in blind, when I have some time, plan to buy it and play through it.
Hopefully I love it, but from this thread, seems to be 50/50, so I might just like it instead.

Back